Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transition from classical to traditional

Options
  • 04-09-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

has anyone here made the transition from classical to traditional music?
    I'm a professional classical musician by trade and need to do this but don't really know where to start...
    the world of classical music is so structured (not a good thing for a musician!)
    Should I head along to the comhailtas with my whistle or do I need lessons? I can pick up a tune in a couple of listens but don't know much about style etc
    I'm a flautist so the most obvious thing to do would be learn tunes on whistle but maybe it would be good for my brain to start on a new instrument from scratch, plus the sound of mandolin makes my heart sing!

Would love to hear from anyone who has switched as I'm used to having a map and the trad world is completely foreign to me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭TAlderson

I'd say just show up and play. I'm a classical musician as well, and I've done a lot of traditional singing and playing (both Irish and American), and I think the first thing you should realize is that while there are "rules," performance practice is generally a lot looser in the traditional world. Play the tunes how you hear them, even add a bit of your own style (within reason), and I'm sure you'll sound great. If you're looking to learn a particular regional style try to find someone who plays that way and ask them for lessons. As for instruments, I've seen people playing the concert flute in a session, as well as a lot of people playing wooden flutes and whistles. I wouldn't go out and buy an instrument right now, just bring your flute to some sessions and such, see how you feel, and then make your decision.

The other thing is to listen. Listen to recordings of Planxty, Bothy Band, Chieftains (the fabulous flautist Matt Molloy played with all three of those), etc., and maybe even try to play along. Also, go to sessions and gigs and hear how people play. It can be frustrating for a classical musician, because we're used to having specific markings and instructions for how to play each piece and style, but there's no way to notate or verbally communicate a lot of musical concepts in traditional music. You just have to listen, and play along.

-Tyler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Zoe Conway plays both classical and trad.

I play with a group on Tuesday nights in Comhaltas in Monkstown and there are a few of the group who are classically trained violinists / fiddle players.

If sheet music is your thing there is a set list and the sets are taken from the Foinn Seisiún Series of music books.

If you want to give it a shot all are welcome, no membership of fees involved and don't worry there will be plenty of bum notes.

PM me for a set list for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Thanks for the replies guys!
    I've heard a lot about Matt Molloy alright, will definitely check him out
    only have bits and pieces of planxty but love those so will stock up on them and the bothy band
    The session in monkstown clashes with work so can't make that unfortunately...do you know are there any similar ones in inchicore our Ballyfermot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

I think there's one in Clondalkin in Árus Chrónáin. There's music there Wednesday to Sunday nights according to their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

As a trad musician, I'll try my best to give you a few bits of advice. Firstly, as an earlier post said, listen - I can't stress this enough. You have to remember it's dance music, and if the rhythm isn't there, you might aswell not play at all. It's so important to listen to others, at gigs, and especially when you're playing in a session make sure you listen to everyone else playing, you'll pick up loads of different bits as everyone may have their own little nuances in every tune, and it's the best way to learn the music.

Also, have patience. I presume you're an accomplished musician, so if you start playing trad music you have to remember you're a beginner now and have to treat it that way. Start working on the rhythm, and getting the tunes played correctly. I'm in the UK these days, surrounded by people who took up the music as adults. The problem with this is that they don't want to take their time, they just want to be able to play exactly as they hear on CDs straight away. This results in them not being able to play any tunes well, and they never will because they haven't got the patience to be beginners. It's easy to play tunes fast, when you can play them slowly with rhythm and make it sound good, then you're on the right track.

This isn't an attack on people, but I've played with and taught adults who don't have the same patience as kids, and it's so frustrating. If you're going to do it, do it right. Listen to all those that the others suggested, but also, listen to fiddlers, box players, pipers, banjos, and take it all in. They'll all give you different variations, different ways of playing tunes, and you'll learn so much by sitting there and listening. Stick on RnaG in the car on Saturday and Sunday mornings between 7am-9am for great music, ceili house is on Saturday nights on Radio 1 and the Rolling Wave is on after Philip King on a Sunday night. Ive been playing for about 22 years having started as a 6 year old, and still learnt new tunes and little "twiddly bits" at a session in Cork last night.

But the most important bit, enjoy it! We've got some of the best music in the world here, you'll find it being played wherever you go and get a great welcome too. Good luck!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement