Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time parents... whats needed??

Options
  • 04-09-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

So only a few pay days left until our new arrival comes so just wondering whats needed. For example how many sheets etc... And everything. Im assuming we will get clothe gifts but surely still need a few bits so whats needed???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Lots of babygro's and vests anyway, they go through a lot of them :) as for sheets, I had a few but Then I seen is the hospital they were sometimes using pillow cases aNd I started using them for my moses basket as they stay in place all the time no matter how much they wriggle :) also, I would try and stock up on all the necessities like wipes and nappies because the last thing you will want is to have to be going To the shop or sending someone for the first few weeks! Not really telling you anything you don't know ha ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Car seat, pram, Moses basket, maybe 3 sheets, vests and babygros. Tesco, dunnes, penneys. Don't get any basics in the likes of next etc. you'll probably get lots of outfits as gifts but rarely the basics. A tip is to go somewhere with cash and get an ex display model of a buggy etc. I'm not a buggy person (you've the dun laoghaire pier bugaboo brigade!!) and we got car seat pram, buggy all for €350 from tony kielys - navy and cream and gorgeous. Just ex display and made them an offer.

You'll need bottles and sterilising if you don't plan on breastfeeding but I would recommend it if it works - go with an open mind - its so so relaxing not having to worry about bottles, sterlising, formula etc. If breastfeeding isn't for you - you'll need all of these.

A bouncer is great if you can afford it - we got one for €29.99 in Smyths - turquoise, light, vibrates and our baba Ioves it.

Get a few doodies - just in case.

Stock up on nappies and wipes

A few blankets - cellular. But lots of muslin clothes.

And for you - freeze a few lasagnes and currys. After one week post birth you'll be mortified phoning the take away (again!) and sick of them too.

Best of luck. Remember all your baby needs is love love love and milk milk milk!!

Enjoy - nothing like it - all the cliches are true for a reason.

X

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

• Moses Basket
    • Baby Bouncer
    • Vests ++
    • Babygrows++
    • Bottles (Breastpump)
    • Steriliser
    • Baby monitors
    • Sheets and blankets (the cellular ones are recommended)
    • Scratch Mittens
    • Hats
    • Car seat
    • Pram
    • Jacket/ All in one thingy to bring baby home
    • Bibs
    • Baby towels
    • Baby bath/ basin
    • Changing bag/ Changing mat
    Baby products:
    • Nappies
    • Vasoline
    • Wipes
    • Cotton balls
    • Powder
    People will ask you coming to the end what do you need and you can mention some stuff.

Some mammies wont agree with my list but thats the things that i had in before my little girl arrived and il be the same for this one.

You will need to have bits for yourself ready too like breastpads, maternity towels, big unsexy underwear, maybe nursing bra's....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Princessa wrote: »
    • Moses Basket
    • Baby Bouncer
    • Vests ++
    • Babygrows++
    • Bottles (Breastpump)
    • Steriliser
    • Baby monitors
    • Sheets and blankets (the cellular ones are recommended)
    • Scratch Mittens
    • Hats
    • Car seat
    • Pram
    • Jacket/ All in one thingy to bring baby home
    • Bibs
    • Baby towels
    • Baby bath/ basin
    • Changing bag/ Changing mat
    Baby products:
    • Nappies
    • Vasoline
    • Wipes
    • Cotton balls
    • Powder
    People will ask you coming to the end what do you need and you can mention some stuff.

Some mammies wont agree with my list but thats the things that i had in before my little girl arrived and il be the same for this one.

You will need to have bits for yourself ready too like breastpads, maternity towels, big unsexy underwear, maybe nursing bra's....

Agree with a lot of this list, bar a few :)
    As an aside though, it may be better to wait a couple of weeks until your milk supply is settled before buying nursing bras as there can be a huge variation in size. I was an E cup pre birth, I must have gone up to a H once my milk "came in", and settled back to a G from around 10 days/ 2 weeks for nearly the first year post birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

Lots and lots of muslin cloths! We have them scattered all over the house so there's always one within arms reach. Great for mopping up any spit ups or spills, popping under their head when they're lying down to protect the bed sheets/whatever surface, or for draping over your shoulder to help with breastfeeding discreetly. I'd be lost without them!

Also- not something you can buy, but buckets of patience...not with the baby more so with each other! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Definately muslins: muslins everywhere! However many you think you might need double and wash them too: they're much more absorbant once they're washed!

Personally I wouldn't buy too many bottles before babs gets here: if you breastfeed you might only need a few and just in case your babs doesn't like the teats: mine could take an hour to drink an oz from a Nuk bottle but guzzles from an Avent :D I bought the Avent newborn started kit and steriliser from Smyths for about €25: and the steriliser is great!

Don't buy too many nursing bras: I went from an a-c cup and I'm up to a d now so it makes a huge difference!

I got one 0-3 month outfit as a gift so make sure you have enough clothes and aren't relying on gifts for then!

Also I didn't really buy any newborn size because everyone told me it was a waste of money etc: even though babs was 7lbs 15 0-3 was swimming on her so I would definately buy a pack of newborn vests and babygrows if I was to do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

A lot of people would disagree but if you have space a changing table can be a real back saver. i have a changing mat on a set of drawers same thing really and a few small changing mats around the house, baby poo and wee get everywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Totally agree with the advice given about muslin cloths, bottles ( we now have 6 of 3 types! Crazy!) and changing table ( or like previous poster we have changing mat on a sideboard in living room!

I think we have about 6 cellular blankets!!! I love them - so handy!
    We swaddled (how very controversial ;) ) our little one until she was about 15 weeks - she loved it and couldn't sleep otherwise! Someone gave us a gift of a gro swaddle blanket and we used it EVERY night!

Have some baby socks to put over their hands to stop them scratching themselves - the mittens are crap and fall off! Have little baby hat for out in the buggy in the cold!
    We used and still use the water wipes - much handier than cotton woll and water but very very gentle also! Our lady gets a rash if we use Johnsons ones!

Digital Forehead thermometer - brilliant! Braun do one!

Vaseline - handy for nappy and also dry skin patches elsewhere!

Lansinoh sore nipple cream - great for 1st 2 weeks or so!

Some sleep suits and vests - we got heaps of 0-3 month clothes but none were practical - all dresses etc!! Plus as age was only 6lb 5oz she was in newborn size for at least 6 weeks!! I'd say about 7 would do - until your sure about size and then can see how ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 QPDB9

I didnt feel right buying anything before ds was born so the week he was due all I got was a pack of nappies and that newborn babygro set from the supermarket, you know the one with a babygro, a pyjamas, a hat and scratch mits. What I didn't realise was that the babygro only had buttons at the bottom instead of all the way down the front so it was really hard to get him in and out of it.

We ended up needing:
    A few packs of sleep suits
    A few packs of vests
    (depends how often you do your washing)
    Breast pump
    Bottles
    Steriliser
    Soothers
    Thermometer
    Swinging seat thing

We'd ordered:
    The pram
    Carseat
    Crib (think we had 4 sheets)
    Dh picked them up while we were in the hospital

Never used muslins, just face cloths & kitchen roll, might give them a go this time since people seem to be very excited about them.

Got loads of presents of clothes, snowsuits, sleeping bags, so like everyone else has said its just the basics you need to get yourself.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Get makeup pads to use in the hospital instead of the cotton wool balls - the balls fluff and stick to babys butt, your hands etc. Easier to use too.

I got muslins too. I use them for mopping up spills, draping over visitors for cuddles to save their clothes, drool, when he is teething and putting stuff in his mouth, knot the end and let them chew on that - he is only 3mth and not able to grasp the teether toys properly and bumps them off his face. they have mopped up poo, pee, and I use them as nursing covers - wind the corner around your bra strap on the feeding side and drape over babys head.

Its ok though to leave stuff to see what you will need when baby is here - it gives you outings to go on, and stops the cabin fever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Could I resurrect this thread? We're not halfway our term yet but considering we've quite a bit of travel planned over the next 3 months, we would like to at least get an idea of what we'd need to get...

Love the posts here and suggestions for first time parents. Only things I'd have known about are what they list in the hospital info booklet, like car seat, muslin, nappies, vests, etc...

Has anyone found they needed bottles/steriliser from the start? Planning on breast-feeding but worrying not having an alternative if it doesn't work out for any reason.

Hubby's quite techie so he's really into the different expensive baby monitoring systems, which I think are just unnecessary for first few weeks as I've no intention of leaving her alone in a room to sleep. Did anyone actually use the ones with video?

How about baby washing equipment? basin, shampoos?

Checking out reviews for car seats and isoFix and car-model compatibility, as well as adapters for buggys. Cannot believe the heaps of info out there :eek:

If you live in any sort of a small town it's desperately easy to pick up bottles if you need them. A steriliser might be slightly less so so may be no harm to pick one up.

Muslins ;) great if you have a spewy baby. If not great for bins, wiping faces/hands, cleaning messes... Still use them daily with a just 4 & 2 year old.

I have this bath http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-acqua-bambino-two-stage-bath-pearl-white/4538472/type-i/

I was terrified of the thought of a wriggly baby in the bath. They just lie in this... And it's great until they are about 2.

I have an ikea changing unit still used daily now: my 2 year olds never had a problem using it.

Baby monitor with video is so handy: more so when they get older. Again still use it with 4 & 2 year old so can see what they are up too particularly as both have a tendency to talk in their sleep.

My big regret is not buying a co sleeper cot: especially if planning on breastfeeding. If I ever have a third I definitely will.

Enjoy it it's great fun buying stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

You can never have enough muslin cloths! When Aldi do their next baby event stock up, ours are still going strong nearly three years later.

I wouldn't bother with a moses basket, we had a 9.5lb baby who got a grand total of 4 weeks use from it, total waste of time. If you do have one dont bother with sheets just use pillow cases, perfect fit and at least you can use them after.

Dont buy too many bottles as you dont know which brand baby will take to. I breast fed but went through at least 5 different brands before I found one he'd take for expressed milk.

I got the Avent microwave sterilizer for less than 30quid in Smyths and found it perfect, and easily stored.

Dont buy too much newborn stuff, we ended up giving the majority of our stuff to other mams on the ward as it was too small for our monster baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

Get a proper crib not a Moses basket.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Gatica, you can get a little box of pre-made formula in little bottles, complete with a pre-sterilised teat. We had one of those in the house as a backup plan in case the breastfeeding hit a roadblock. It would have given us six feeds I think so enough time to dispatch someone to the shops for more or to get bottles, formula and steriliser.

Plus if you were to give formula, some formula's don't suit some babies so it's best to try out the smaller versions of a brand before paying the money for the big drum. My lad didn't take to powdered formula at all - it just gave him the runs. I was mostly breastfeeding at the time anyway, so the pre-made stuff wasn't too expensive for me.

We got the sensor mat monitor, not the video. Some say it's unnecessary to buy a fancy monitor but it was really for my peace of mind because a relative had a near miss with a potential sids case.

We borrowed the moses basket, but otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with it, they grow out of them so quickly!

I found J&J toiletries quite harsh so I avoided those. MooGoo is one I've heard mentioned favourably. Again, depends on the child, what suits one child might not suit another.

I regret not getting our buggies/ prams second hand. The cost of them for the comparative time you use them! In fact, if you can borrow one initially from someone, even better - you see what you like and dislike about the buggy /pram when out and about with your baby then you have a better idea of what you need to shop for. Some heavy ones suit bus-users, but not so much car users. Ditto with wheels v's terrain - depending on where you live and how you use your buggy your choice could be very different from what you envisaged.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Don't bank on getting clothes gifted to you... yes, you will certainly get lots and lots of clothes as gifts but you will invariably end up with literally hundreds of 6-9 months stuff and nothing from 0-3 or vice versa!

People, friends and family will constantly ask you do you need anything and it's a great saviour to have the confidence to ask for a pack of nappies, since they will usually be within a price-range that people are happy to pay. Most of us would in our minds immediately jump to the most expensive thing we need when asked is there anything we want, discount that as too much and answer, "no, we're ok" out of politeness but it's perfectly fine to take people up on the offer and give them something reasonably cheap and easy to get as something they can bring along.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

+1 for the clothes!! We got loads and loads from age group 3-6 months and upwards. Don't be fooled by people saying you won't need loads because you will for the early days!

Water wipes and cotton wool was super handy here and lots of caldescene powder for that super sensitive bottom.

Car seat, buggy, cot +/- Moses baskets and blankets. I've read on here before that people say not to worry about some of those things that Dad can collect/pick/buy once the baby is born but realistically that can be a bit of a panic scenario whether baby has a scheduled arrival or spontaneous arrival date! If superstitious leave them in someone else's house :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Gatica wrote: »
    Hubby's quite techie so he's really into the different expensive baby monitoring systems, which I think are just unnecessary for first few weeks as I've no intention of leaving her alone in a room to sleep. Did anyone actually use the ones with video?
    :

I bought one for a friend and she and husband swear it's the best thing they got. Got the tommy tippee one on sale at baby fair. Hubs is into technology too so he already bought a monitor on sale :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I really regret not buying a co-sleeper cot, my little man is 4 months and I have just moved him into his cot which is working as a co-sleeper and is literally life changing!

I would also highly recommend a breast feeding class before baby arrives and a consultant for after. I had no issues with feeding however the little tips from the consultant were super helpful and have definitely made the journey easier

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Surgical spirits or whatever is used now. Easy forget

• Advertisement

Surgical spirits or whatever is used now. Easy forget

What are surgical spirits supposed to be for?

cyning wrote: »
    What are surgical spirits supposed to be for?

Cleaning the chord. Think that's what its called.

Cotton wool and water now is all they said in hosp anyway! I was wondering what I missed out on :)

cyning wrote: »
    Cotton wool and water now is all they said in hosp anyway! I was wondering what I missed out on :)
    Is that the new thing :)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

cyning wrote:
    Cotton wool and water now is all they said in hosp anyway! I was wondering what I missed out on

It's on our hospital list.....

Different hospitals probably: Kerry didn't in 2012 or 2014 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

finooola wrote: »
    Get a proper crib not a Moses basket.

Planning on getting a cot for the baby room but our room's just too small to have one in beside me. Need something for the baby to sleep in an don't think the car seat would be fair to her. Any alternatives to a Moses basket? ... will have to ask friends if can borrow one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Planning on getting a cot for the baby room but our room's just too small to have one in beside me. Need something for the baby to sleep in an don't think the car seat would be fair to her. Any alternatives to a Moses basket? ... will have to ask friends if can borrow one.

A small baby isn't supposed to spent more than 1.5 hours in a car seat in a day anyways. Obviously if you are doing a long journey that's the exception but going around the shops or for a walk etc or any long term sleeping isn't safe. It's to do with their airways being compromised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

We're getting the Chicco 'next 2 me' co sleeper. It's lovely and compact and perfect for breast feeding. Other than that I'd get a crib (they're longer than moses baskets but still narrow). Another option is the carry cot of a travel system if you get one (make sure it's certified as safe for overnight sleeping as some aren't, and if you buy second hand make sure and get a new mattress)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Do not put a baby in a car seat overnight.

IKEA do small cots, if you didn't want to get a moses basket. We have a basket, but it's years old so it's quite a big one, we get about 3 months out of it. The ones they sell in shops now are tiny in comparison.

Alternatively, some of the buggies - well, 1 or 2 brands - have pram baskets that can be used as baskets for overnight sleeping .That could be an option too. Xalot makes good suggestions too.

Advertisement