Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time parents... whats needed??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Thanks for the info, I just assumed crib was another name for cot :rolleyes:

I did think of the co-sleeper bed, but considering I thought it would only get weeks of use, thought it might be money better spent elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We'll probably get until my son is 5-6 months old from our Next2Me, it's a good size which suits our long baby.

We found a travel system a bit of a waste of time - we live in a first floor apartment with no lift and it was a pain. I got a Baby Jogger City Mini when he was 4 weeks old - the one hand fold is a godsend and it's narrow enough to be very public transport friendly.

We've gotten great value out of our stretchy wrap too - very convenient, have used it as a portable feeding pillow too when I'm out and about with the buggy and he always sleeps when we're out walking with it.

xalot wrote: »
    We're getting the Chicco 'next 2 me' co sleeper. It's lovely and compact and perfect for breast feeding. Other than that I'd get a crib (they're longer than moses baskets but still narrow). Another option is the carry cot of a travel system if you get one (make sure it's certified as safe for overnight sleeping as some aren't, and if you buy second hand make sure and get a new mattress)

I'd seem pics of this before and thought it needed to be attached to the bed permanently. Can this be moved away from the bed easily as needed and can it be used standalone without the parents bed? i.e. does it have another side attachment to make it safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I'm going to get the mini swinging crib in mothercare. My friend had one and it was great. Sadly she borrowed it so I can't have hers but I think they are only €100 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Hi - friends have gave me a cot & a moses basket which is super cos I'd given everything away after my older two - but I want to buy new mattresses for them - been looking on cotmattress.ie mothercare etc bit bamboozled by the choice! any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Beanybabog wrote: »
    I'm going to get the mini swinging crib in mothercare. My friend had one and it was great. Sadly she borrowed it so I can't have hers but I think they are only €100 ish

I personally wouldn't bother. I borrowed one and my small (under 7lb) baby was out of it by 10 weeks as it's so narrow and hands were banging off the sides and waking up. I'll probably get a co-sleeper next time or buy a baby nest type thing to put straight to big cot. Well baby actually spends most of their time in my bed but for the odd stretch in their own space this is what I will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gatica wrote: »
    I'd seem pics of this before and thought it needed to be attached to the bed permanently. Can this be moved away from the bed easily as needed and can it be used standalone without the parents bed? i.e. does it have another side attachment to make it safe?

Once the side is zipped up it can be used anywhere.

I personally wouldn't bother. I borrowed one and my small (under 7lb) baby was out of it by 10 weeks as it's so narrow and hands were banging off the sides and waking up. I'll probably get a co-sleeper next time or buy a baby nest type thing to put straight to big cot. Well baby actually spends most of their time in my bed but for the odd stretch in their own space this is what I will do.

Oh really. My friend had hers in it until 6 months and she's a big baby. Hmm... what to do now

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Op, get a Moses basket and a cot if that's what you want. Both are practical and will be used. Imo, €100 or thereabouts on a Moses that'll be used for 3 months is good value! (You and your oh could go for a meal for two somewhere nice and hand over €100 with little change iykwim!). We used our Moses all the time. It came downstairs in the morning when we were up for the day and back upstairs at night time. We opted for a cot bed as opposed to a cot but that's just what suited us really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

Oh really. My friend had hers in it until 6 months and she's a big baby. Hmm... what to do now

My baby is very active and busy since the beginning and moves alot in sleep even as a newborn so that's why.

• Advertisement

So far have decided on getting the Next2me co-sleeper cot. See some for sale second hand on some Irish sites like Adverts, just none in our locale. May look out for one in Dublin for when we go up to visit friends.

Will also have to pick and get a car seat with iso fix (preferably compatible with up to age 4 seats). Tough to pick as there are so many to choose from. Wanted the Ricaro Privia because it tested best safe seat, but then their base isn't forward compatible and the buggy adapters aren't as universal as the Maxi Cosy :(

Will leave bouncer and moses basket decision to when she's born. As debating need between having a moses basket or maybe a buggy carrycot which could be approved for sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Gatica seats can stay rear facing until 4+, so a base that did that would be ok.

Sorry my post may have been confusing. I know rear facing is best, I meant "forward compatible" as in, using the same base for the next seat size up from baby seat, rather than buying another base with another seat.

Pretty sure we've everything now!

Here's my list:
    • Venicci travel system with carrycot picked up plus pillow cases for the mattress
    • car seat - arriving any day now. We went with the Recaro Privia + base after all. It fits fine with the Maxi Cosi adapters as it turns out.
    • got the Chicco Next2me cot, but we've not built it yet. Ordered flat cot sheets from Guiney's
    • A diaper backpack from Amazon
    • Moses basket stand from Guiney's for the carry cot
    • A baby carry sling

A few small things:
    • Gro Egg room thermometer and light
    • baby nail clippers
    • baby two-stage bath
    • nappy bin

For hospital bag:
    • clothes like baby vests, baby grows, socks, mittens, hats
    • several blankets: 5 cellular, couple soft cotton ones and a fleecy one
    • water wipes, cotton balls, bepanthen/sudocrem/vaseline, two brands of baby nappies, nappy bags
    Picked up stuff on sale for later on:
    • Bottle steriliser
    • Bottle prep machine

Everything I went to buy in the shops was vetoed by my husband because he was on Amazon on his phone- to be fair pretty much everything could be got cheaper online even when it's on sale in mothercare and the like. We saved a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Everything I went to buy in the shops was vetoed by my husband because he was on Amazon on his phone- to be fair pretty much everything could be got cheaper online even when it's on sale in mothercare and the like. We saved a lot

Totally agree on Amazon, so much cheaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

SNAP!!! I picked the items and he got them all on Amazon, at a huge saving, especially now with the sterling... But he had veto on the baby monitor... he is real tech savy!

What nappy bin did you get Gaticia? We were looking at one with twisted bags... can't for the life of me think of the name of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Ah that was the one :) - any of you guys looked into it? Last time I did this a scented nappy bag was the height of it

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I have one I got from a friend and hardly use it. It's just another bit of clutter around the place. I find it just as easy to throw them in the bin outside though that may depend on people's houses / apartments etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

We got a nappy bin as a gift from my Mother in law , but once the plastic cartridge ran out I just couldn't bring myself to spend a tenner on a new one.
    I really wouldn't bother!!
    We ended up switching to cloth nappies anyway.
    We got a snuzpod co sleeper crib, it lasted until baby was 6 months.
    I highly recommend buying things second hand if possible

stickybean wrote: »
    What nappy bin did you get Gaticia? We were looking at one with twisted bags... can't for the life of me think of the name of it...

I never even thought of a nappy bin :o Added to the list

Do you need a bottle warmer if planning to breastfeed & express?

Do you need a bottle warmer if planning to breastfeed & express?

Bottle warmer added to the list! Jesus I haven't even heard of or thought of some of the things you ladies are getting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

I havent bought any bottle/sterilising stuff at all. Hoping to breastfeed. As for nappy bin, a regular bin outside the door will do.

Bottle warmer added to the list! Jesus I haven't even heard of or thought of some of the things you ladies are getting

Hoping to breastfeed & express so the bottle warmer is for any milk ive expressed. I think you can get smaller less clunky ones now although reading online some people say to just run under a hot tap. Must do more reading!

Might throw up my list if I get the time, could be a good idea to get tips from others.

For the Tommy tippee bin for upstairs. Downstairs will use normal bin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Never used a bottle warmer but got loads of use out of a nappy bin. I just ran it under a hot tap or poured hot water from the kettle over it if it was recently boiled. Funny how different people rate different things. It's like changing tables. Some people reckon they are a waste of space whereas it was one of our most used baby items. Can't remember who mentioned baby nail clippers but they are not great. I know a good few people(us included) who managed to cut their babies fingers with them. The little tommee tippee baby nail scissors are much easier to contro(IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

I found the nappy bin very handy. The Tommy Tippee one nor the Angelcare one. When a newborn is having 5/6 dirty nappies a day you will be glad not to be running outside with each one. I stopped using it once we were down to 1 dirty nappy a day. The Angelcare one does not hold the smell, it's stink! Buy the Tommy Tippee cassettes on Amazon. We bought it on Amazon with a load of cassettes in Black Friday sale and never needed to buy more cassettes.

We got a voucher and bought a bottle warmer. Used it up to 1 year when formula was gone. It's very handy but a kettle and jug does the same job. Definitely wouldn't buy it for exclusively breastfeeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I breast feed and my husband gives the odd bottle. He just warms it in a bowl of water. I'd wait to see how it's going with expressing and bottles before buying. Some babies just don't take to bottles.

• Advertisement

Are nappy bins special? I assume a normal pedal bin with pooey nappies in it is going to smell exactly like it is- that's there's poo in the room?

Advertisement