Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time parents... whats needed??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Roesy wrote: »
    . Can't remember who mentioned baby nail clippers but they are not great. I know a good few people(us included) who managed to cut their babies fingers with them. The little tommee tippee baby nail scissors are much easier to contro(IMO).

Our public health nurse said don't bother with either, just bite the nails off after a bath when they're soft! I much prefer clippers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

Don't go crazy spending folks is my advice & take what ever is offered from friends & family.

A lot of things will be outgrown very quick & no point breaking the bank.

I saw nappy bins for about €25 so we just bought small bins from the euro shop & used fragmented bags. Job done & saved €20.

Also for the man bring some packed food when the Mrs is in labour. You don't know how long it will be until you eat again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

baldbear wrote: »
    Don't go crazy spending folks is my advice & take what ever is offered from friends & family.

A lot of things will be outgrown very quick & no point breaking the bank.

I saw nappy bins for about €25 so we just bought small bins from the euro shop & used fragmented bags. Job done & saved €20.

Also for the man bring some packed food when the Mrs is in labour. You don't know how long it will be until you eat again.

This is very true. Even if you end up needing something you can always buy it as needed, asking other people to pick it up if it's too much to go out yourselves, or even order online if needs must.

I never understood the love for muslin cloths until years after my baby grew up and I used them as on my face for cleansing :o you'll get your own rhythm and routine with things and you'll know what's missing then. The basics like vests and babygrows, blankets etc. will always be used but stuff that isn't "essential" can be bought as you go along. I used a fold up changing mat and no table or anything. Rarely used the baby bath, preferred the little rest things in a basin thing in main bath. Things like that, you'll know when baby is with you and you say to yourself "if only I had.." :pac: yeah it's great to have it ready but I'd rather be without it for a day or two than stuck with it and not need it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

I recently picked up this little nappy bin/storage changing pots combo from ikea which should hopefully do the job. We're getting a modified version of the baby elegance baby bundle so figured I could just slot them onto the cot side as the bundle already comes with a changing yoke which sits directly over the cot. Agree it's far too easy to get carried away with this stuff and the true essentials are likely to be few and far between. That said, put my order in this evening for our bed nest rental and now trying to restrain myself from buying everything on amazon wishlist cause sterling exchange rate is so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

On the nappy bins I've used our one every day for 4 years and 3 months across two kids. I stock up on the cartridges on sale. They keep the smell in way better and are much better.

But most stuff will depend on the baby. My second is 2.5 and still needs a bib all the time whereas I don't think I needed them at all with the first she wasn't a drooler.

My cot was used for storage ;)

I highly recommend multi mam compresses wether you want to breastfeed or not. I used them when pregnant and my nipples were sore and when breastfeeding in the early days they are fab especially if you do run into any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Any recommendations on a changing bag? As we have pretty much everything we need already, I've decided to treat myself to a new changing bag. I hate everything about our current one - the colour, there's no zip, it's not big enough for all the swag that goes with a tiny baby etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Notsomindful

I never had a bottle warmer as i gave bottles at room temp so no need to heat for night feeds.
    The hospital never heated bottles.

Buggy
    Moses basket
    Car seat

Baby bits clothes nappies wipes etc...
    Bottles dummy's

Blankets...no need to bring to hospital until you are going home.

Buy rest as you need

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a changing bag? As we have pretty much everything we need already, I've decided to treat myself to a new changing bag. I hate everything about our current one - the colour, there's no zip, it's not big enough for all the swag that goes with a tiny baby etc.

We got a great on in the Aldi baby event a few weeks ago, not sure when you are due but keep an eye out for the next event. They are 24.99 have about 9 pockets, a changing mat, a purse (which is detachable) and a bottle holder. Also they look really nice, more like a hand bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

stickybean wrote: »
    We got a great on in the Aldi baby event a few weeks ago, not sure when you are due but keep an eye out for the next event. They are 24.99 have about 9 pockets, a changing mat, a purse (which is detachable) and a bottle holder. Also they look really nice, more like a hand bag.

I got that same bag. I'm a FTM and clueless, but was wondering if the bag is big enough? It seems quite small to me (as you said, like a handbag)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I bought a small changing bag on purpose as I figured the bigger it was the more I'd put in it. All you really need is a few nappies, wipes, whatever cream you use and a change of clothes just in case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

I got that same bag. I'm a FTM and clueless, but was wondering if the bag is big enough? It seems quite small to me (as you said, like a handbag)

They are erally lovely aren't they Cat? I am using it for the babies stuff for the hospital too, it seems to open out quite big, so I think hope it is big enough, it is similar to one I was looking at online.

I suppose it would depend on how long you are going out for, you'd easily fit a couple of bottles, nappies, wipes, change of clothes, blanket, towel, medicine... oh sugar... not sure what else do you need to bring, I have totally blanked here? I honestly can't remember what I used to pack it has been so long.... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Anne_cordelia

stickybean wrote: »
    They are erally lovely aren't they Cat? I am using it for the babies stuff for the hospital too, it seems to open out quite big, so I think hope it is big enough, it is similar to one I was looking at online.

I suppose it would depend on how long you are going out for, you'd easily fit a couple of bottles, nappies, wipes, change of clothes, blanket, towel, medicine... oh sugar... not sure what else do you need to bring, I have totally blanked here? I honestly can't remember what I used to pack it has been so long.... :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Baby stuff is fine in a small bag but as they get older (6 months+) and you need books, toys, dinners, snacks, sippy cup, bottle etc it gets tight in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Beanybabog wrote: »
    Are nappy bins special? I assume a normal pedal bin with pooey nappies in it is going to smell exactly like it is- that's there's poo in the room?

Friends said if you get anything, get a proper nappy bin as it will keep the smell at bay. Apparently the nappies are very smelly and regular bin wouldn't keep the reek in. I don't want my house to stink or to go outside to dispose every time, so we got one. Once we test it out i'll update ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭StarBright01

Gatica wrote: »
    Friends said if you get anything, get a proper nappy bin as it will keep the smell at bay. Apparently the nappies are very smelly and regular bin wouldn't keep the reek in. I don't want my house to stink or to go outside to dispose every time, so we got one. Once we test it out i'll update ;)

We got one too Gatica, for upstairs for the fist week or two and we'll move downstairs then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do you really need a designated changing bag? We were thinking a rucksack type might suit better as gonna need all the hands with twins but is there any reason why a regular old rucksack won't do?

fits wrote: »
    Do you really need a designated changing bag? We were thinking a rucksack type might suit better as gonna need all the hands with twins but is there any reason why a regular old rucksack won't do?

I used a regular rucksack a few times if I was on my own with the sling but it was a pain in the butt trying to find anything in it. The advantage of baby ones are all the pockets to hold different bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Gatica wrote: »

If you're breastfeeding the nappies don't smell at all. I used cloth nappies and wipes and s normal bin worked just fine. Those cartridges are terrible for the environment, never mind the disposable nappies on top.

I'd say if you're organised it should work fine. I was a light packer though, a couple of nappies and a change of clothes and a few other bits was all I ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I got a bag in TK Maxx. It's waterproof and has loads of pockets and is much larger than a usual changing bag. I picked it because all my friends seem to carry multiple bags so i figure I'll use the extra space and it was much cheaper. It's not a changing bag but is some sort of travel tote (it has matching luggage) so there's plenty of pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

There are backpack style changing bags. I used a regular backpack a
    Few times for my then 20 month old and newborn and found the lack of pockets a bit annoying and I'm a light packer. I used a messenger style one for my two mainly and have just bought a little bit bigger one to replace it as I'll be carrying stuff for three. I will pick up a proper backpack style changing bag too as I hope to use the sling as much this time round as with the other two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

lazygal wrote: »
    If you're breastfeeding the nappies don't smell at all. I used cloth nappies and wipes and s normal bin worked just fine. Those cartridges are terrible for the environment, never mind the disposable nappies on top.

Ah Lazygal they do. They might not smell quite as bad but they still smell. It's poo it all smells!

cyning wrote: »
    Ah Lazygal they do. They might not smell quite as bad but they still smell. It's poo it all smells!

Haha‚ I always think it's hilarious when people convince themselves poo doesn't smell.

That really isn't my experience. Maybe it was the cloth nappies but we never had an issue with smells until we started on solids.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭brokensoul

I don't have a designated changing bag. I have a large tote bag that I find works well for me. I have a changing mat that clips onto the side of the bag.

This one http://www.munchkin.com/designer-diaper-change-kit-27036.html

and I have a small cool bag for bottles that fits into the tote.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

lazygal wrote: »
    That really isn't my experience. Maybe it was the cloth nappies but we never had an issue with smells until we started on solids.

I have to agree. I found it to be a mild sweet smell, I found the smell of the scented nappy bags to be worse! Now that I've started him on solids I miss the mild smelling nappies!

Edited to say this is my second conversation about baby poo today! Seems funny how talking about poo becones a normal (and acceptable) topic of conversation when you have babies!!!

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I have to agree. I found it to be a mild sweet smell, I found the smell of the scented nappy bags to be worse! Now that I've started him on solids I miss the mild smelling nappies!

Edited to say this is my second conversation about baby poo today! Seems funny how talking about poo becones a normal (and acceptable) topic of conversation when you have babies!!!

Someone asked me the biggest change having children made to me and my honest answer was I never knew I'd discuss poo so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I hope I can manage baby poop!!! if I go onto a toilet after someone has done a bad one I dry wretch for ages! Sometimes it's so bad I have to lie down afterwards.

My friend said she doesn't gag changing her baby nappies and reckons she figured out why you don't mind your own baby's poop - because it's like your own poo!! That's her theory anyway.

Breastfed poo (can't even believe I'm posting this) doesn't smell. It's from breastmilk which is easily digested and doesn't have anything offensive in it that would smell!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Nicky987 wrote: »
    So only a few pay days left until our new arrival comes so just wondering whats needed. For example how many sheets etc... And everything. Im assuming we will get clothe gifts but surely still need a few bits so whats needed???

Bit late to be asking surprise was it

Advertisement