Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing 2 kittens

• 04-09-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

So I have a male kitten whose about 14 weeks old (hes quite large) and since hes alone a lot I decided to get him a buddy! To avoid unwanted kittens I got another male just today, but Im a bit nervous to leave them together. The new kitty is tiny and though my cat doesnt seem to mind him, hes hissed at him a few times.
    Whats the safest way to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I've never had a cat, but off the top of my head I'd imagine there's probably going to be a little tension initially. Since they're both very young I'd say it'll settle soon enough.

If I were you I'd keep them in separate rooms initially when they are alone- like at night time and when you're out. When you're there, let them interact under supervision for short periods, building the time up gradually. I also wouldn't intervene if there's hissing/hostility/a little scrambling- only if it genuinely looks serious which it probably won't be since they're both so young. If they squabble it'd probably be more noise than anything!

Of course, since I've never had a cat there's probably something I've missed/gotten wrong, but that's just how I'd handle it!

Also, pics? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Hissing is natural enough. I would possibly feed them separately for a week or two until they are a bit more familiar with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Rosedust84

Thanks for the tips!

Yeah I currently have baby in the spare room with his 'blankie' and I wrapped up a little clock beside it so he has a fake mommys heartbeat :D He cried at first but hes settled now...poor wee thing..

Ill get some pics up tomorrow when hes up and about, hes adorable a massive ball of fur :P

Advertisement