Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For the teachers...

• 04-09-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Our Irish teacher does one to one 10-15 minute tutorials after school and during lunch. Pretty much free grinds and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get paid for them.

I'd like to buy him a little something to say "thanks for going the extra mile" but I don't want him to think I'm a silly little girl with a crush on him. I don't, but I really appreciate him helping us out like that.

Would it be appropriate?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I wouldn't say it's inappropriate. Might be better if you could get a friend to buy it with you but I imagine that it's unlikely your teacher will think you're buying it because you have a crush on him, he'll probably just appreciate the gesture.

Unless you buy him flowers or jewelery or something. Then he might think you have a crush on him. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Our Irish teacher does one to one 10-15 minute tutorials after school and during lunch. Pretty much free grinds and I'm pretty sure he doesn't get paid for them.

I'd like to buy him a little something to say "thanks for going the extra mile" but I don't want him to think I'm a silly little girl with a crush on him. I don't, but I really appreciate him helping us out like that.

Would it be appropriate?
    If you hand him a card, thanking him for going the extra mile, and telling him that you appreciate it, I'm sure it'll be received in the spirit in which it is intended. Book/cd vouchers are a safe bet and won't be misconstrued. Doesn't have to be for a large amount. It's the thought that counts.

Very thoughtful an generous on your part. Well done.

Teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

I would say he would be delighted with a card and a thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Thank you cards mean alot, they make my day. Also got a chocolate bar shaped calculator once (maths teacher)-I still have it and it makes me smile and think of that year group everytime I see it. It's very nice of you to think of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

Thank you cards mean alot, they make my day. Also got a chocolate bar shaped calculator once (maths teacher)-I still have it and it makes me smile and think of that year group everytime I see it. It's very nice of you to think of him

Can't believe you didn't eat it tbh.:P

Yea I'd say a card is best, I know of some teachers who feel terrible when getting vouchers as they don't like the idea of students spending extra money on them.

A card says it all really, if you are close with your classmates you could all sign it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I'd love to get a chocolate calculator (though there's little chance I wouldnt' eat it). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

RealJohn wrote: »
    I'd love to get a chocolate calculator (though there's little chance I wouldnt' eat it). :D

Oh it wasn't actually chocolate but scented, coloured shaped like it! If it was actual chocolate it would have been long gone lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

A card would be sufficient. It's a lovely thought - during my teaching practice a student who I helped for her oral left a card and a box of chocolates in the office for me. And like the teacher who got the calculator I still have the card. I went way out of my way for students this year and got nothing - not even a thank-you. I would be chuffed with a thank-you card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I got a card and a gift voucher one time. Was great. I still have the card. Great to look back on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Make it subject specific if you can.

I got a personalized lab coat from a group of students I had before
    (Chemistry Teacher), & a large A3 handmade card which rehashed all the nerd jokes we had shared as a class group & teacher.

• Advertisement
Advertisement