Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish language phones

Options
  • 04-09-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

FYI - I've had a Samsung Tocco Lite from Meteor for the last few years with the entire UI in Irish. I went for an upgrade to the Galaxy Ace Plus, presuming that it also would have the Irish language option. The one that Meteor sent me however, did not! I spoke to a man in Samsung UK and his Galaxy Ace DID have the Irish language option. This made me angry and I've had many heated conversations with various members of the Meteor Customer Care Team, many of whom have promised that they would look into the situation and get back to me. No-one has.

Today I spoke to Meteor Grafton Street and they said that language options change frequently with Samsung phones and that the Irish Language option could never be guaranteed, it was only specifically guaranteed by Meteor for the Samsung Tocco Lite. I'm wondering if this is true. How many Samsung phones (and which models) out there have Irish(Gaeilge) in its languages list?

I should probably post this in the mobile phones forum!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its very rare that phones have it. They were doing the option for maybe a year at most, they did marketing about it also at the time. Your not going to have many options im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CSOC

I sent an email to Samsung about this, here's what they say -

"Our Galaxy range of phones will have the Irish interface option available. These range in price and include the Samsung Galaxy Europa, Mini, Ace, Apollo, S and S2."

When I told them that my Galaxy Ace Plus, with Meteor, did not have Irish(Gaeilge) in the language list, they replied -

"I have just checked our handset in the office and it has the Gaeilge language in it....Our phone in the office is unlocked to all networks so if your handset is locked to a particular network they may have removed this."

So, it would appear that Samsung ship the phones with Irish on it, but that Meteor then remove it from the language list. This seems strange to me considering the fanfare around the Tocco Lite having Irish on it, the fact that you can choose to have Máire Seoighe on your voicemail and the fact that Meteor is part of Eircom!

Why do Meteor remove Irish from their Samsung phones? I can feel a call to Joe Duffy coming on ...

Advertisement