Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 11.6 laptop 375 euros

Options
  • 04-09-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007VBBYOM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

Samsung 305U 11.6 inch Laptop - Silver (AMD E450 1.65GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)

This laptop is available from the seller amazon.co.uk in the "more buying choices" on the right hand side of the page for 279.99 GBP. That's 375 euros with free delivery and allowing Amazon to perform the conversion to euros for you. It's currently on pre-order, available September 14.

I think this is a great price for a laptop which sells for more anywhere else I've looked. It gets good reviews generally, though some buyers have pointed out that the battery life is not too good. If you want a light, portable laptop with a good keyboard plus HDMI-out, I think this machine is hard to beat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I got this one in Argos last Saturday for 430 yoyo's.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5086892/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CLaptops%2Band%2Bnetbooks%7C14419039/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419039%7CLaptops%7C14419040.htm#tabrev

Have to say I am well pleased with this piece of kit and would concur with the reviews. Its pretty all singing and dancing, fabulous quality sound and screen for watching DVD's/streaming. As one of the reviewers says if you want a nuke that does not cost a bomb this is your baby. What also strikes me about the laptop is that certainly appears to be built to last and will not need replacing for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ The one in the OP is a different kettle of fish, though - ultra-light, very portable, great battery life etc. etc.

Use www.parcelmotel.com NI address for delivery if you are near Dublin.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,057 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm currently using an Acer Aspire One 522 netbook (this one: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/netbooks/acer-aspire-one-522-review-50003377/) and I find it frustratingly slow. I'm also not a fan of the keyboard.

With a budget of e400, is this a good option / would it be a decent upgrade on the ACER?

Want to use it for browsing web, word documents and playing/streaming video. Looking for a laptop that can handle these tasks without slowdown. Being reasonably portable is also important.

Esel wrote: »
    ^ The one in the OP is a different kettle of fish, though - ultra-light, very portable, great battery life etc. etc.

Use www.parcelmotel.com NI address for delivery if you are near Dublin.

Wouldn't you have to drive to Antrim then?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Tusky wrote: »
    No, just give that delivery address when ordering.

You have to be previously registered on ParcelMotel. They will deliver it from Antrim to whichever collection point in Dublin you selected when registering. First two deliveries are free, after that €3.50.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OutOnHighway61

Esel wrote: »
    No, just give that delivery address when ordering.

You have to be previously registered on ParcelMotel. They will deliver it from Antrim to whichever collection point in Dublin you selected when registering. First two deliveries are free, after that €3.50.
    But amazon will deliver this for free, there is no need for any other method.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I bought that laptop in Power City for €425 about 3 weeks ago so good deal

Very good laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

But amazon will deliver this for free, there is no need for any other method.
    the Amazon supersaver free delivery is only available in the UK mainland and NI, which the majority of people on boards.ie aren't.

if you are in the republic, parcel motel is the easiest way to avail of amazon's free delivery to ROI (or €3.50 if you've used PM more than 3 times).

EDIT: or not in this case, from what i see from testing it just now. :confused:

219550.jpg

so maybe it is available to ROI for free supersaver delivery, but it's the first time i've seen it.

maybe it's in response to parcel motel? might put a bit of a dampener on their business model if that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I've recently got books sent to me from Amazon and got them delivered for free, was also looking at tablets and delivery seemed to be free for the republic also, although I never ordered anything bigger than a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Free Super Saver Delivery to Ireland has been available for the last year at the very least, always been available when I've been using Amazon anyways.

it's never been available (as far as I can remember) on anything i've bought, and i buy quite a lot from them. maybe it depends on what it is you're buying, or from which amazon seller?

anyway, something to look out for anyway, you really do learn something new every day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,879 ✭✭✭Soarer

aVAILABLE FOR AGES ON MOST THINGS, BUT THERE'S A MINIMUM VALUE OF £25 ON THE ORDER.

STUPID CAPS LOCK! Not retyping it! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

SuperSaver is free on orders over £25, for items that qualify, and those which Amazon will sell to Ireland. I get the free supersaver most times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's never been available (as far as I can remember) on anything i've bought, and i buy quite a lot from them. maybe it depends on what it is you're buying, or from which amazon seller?

anyway, something to look out for anyway, you really do learn something new every day. :)

If you're buying off Amazon itself it's always been available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I'm currently using an Acer Aspire One 522 netbook (this one: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/netbooks/acer-aspire-one-522-review-50003377/) and I find it frustratingly slow. I'm also not a fan of the keyboard.

With a budget of e400, is this a good option / would it be a decent upgrade on the ACER?

Want to use it for browsing web, word documents and playing/streaming video. Looking for a laptop that can handle these tasks without slowdown. Being reasonably portable is also important.

I have the sony equivalent of this (except it has an SSD), should easily handle internet, word, video, it even plays older/indie games (KOTOR etc.). I had 2d CAD running on it and it was fine for small drawings anyway, and can handle a bit of 3d sketchup as well, though struggles with large models (though so did my deskktop as well).

Battery isnt hugely fantastic compared to the older Intel ULV machine i had but you will get 2 hours from it anyways. If you have any questions or want me to try and run something to see how it is let me know.

it's usually little things that i'm getting off amazon and quite often it's from the marketplace, so i think that's why i haven't seen it before now.

anyway, good news all round i guess. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

the Amazon supersaver free delivery is only available in the UK mainland and NI, which the majority of people on boards.ie aren't.

if you are in the republic, parcel motel is the easiest way to avail of amazon's free delivery to ROI (or €3.50 if you've used PM more than 3 times).

so maybe it is available to ROI for free supersaver delivery, but it's the first time i've seen it.

maybe it's in response to parcel motel? might put a bit of a dampener on their business model if that's the case.

If you spend over £25 across a whole range of items, delivery to ROI is gratis - that's been the case for some considerable time.

Nothing to do with countering Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

219550.jpg

The Super Saver free delivery with Amazon is also available to ROI on orders over £25 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

free delivery on orders over £25 has been available to ireland for over 2 years now for most products sold by amazon themselves, but not from marketplace sellers.

the standard delivery is selected by default.
    you have to select the free delivery option

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Been looking at this on LaptopsDirect.ie (on for €392), was chuffed to see this the other day for £279 and ordered it, arrives tomorrow.. :) ...

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭chris1970

Nice 11 inch ,just what im looking for, my netbook running hot around the mousepad, pity about the wait until stock arrival, cheers op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Why wait...
    http://powercity.ie/?par=10-30-697895&pages=1&prod=697895&brands=SAMSUNG&image=

Seems to be in stock everywhere. I want to pick one up but need to sell my old laptop first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I got the Apire one 725 last week, 4GB Ram, 500Gb HDD 11.6 screen,
    as you say keyboard is horrible, especially the return button. Its too small and gets mistaken for the backspace button, I found the Samsung N145 more comfortable.

The first thing I did when I got the Aspire was replace the HDD with a 120GB solid state drive and ghosted everything across and 5 minutes to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

The Free Super Saver Delivery with Amazon from the UK is brilliant , its a pity they wont deliver big TVs though with it

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Anybody know if this is or will be available with a 6 cell battery?The 4 cell supplied gives up to max 5 hours but that ususally translates to 3 maybe 3.5 hours which is poor for this size machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

The Free Super Saver Delivery with Amazon from the UK is brilliant , its a pity they wont deliver big TVs though with it

They do up to 32".

Not for all brands & not for all models, there are exceptions.

I've bought two LG's on Amazon - this one currently ships Super Saver to Ireland:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-32CS460-32-inch-Widescreen-Freeview/dp/B007IYVUAU/ref=lh_ni_t

• Registered Users Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks faster than netbook but not by much. Nice sort of size, probably worth the price but not much more. Would be interesting to see what battery life is like vs netbook

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Looks faster than netbook but not by much. Nice sort of size, probably worth the price but not much more. Would be interesting to see what battery life is like vs netbook

Laptop arrived yesterday. Wife has an NC10 already and this is it's replacement. So far so good ! The speed in my opinion is damn good (we have <1meg Broadband and it beats my new Dell XPS14z for page load on browsing).

The case is plastick-y and the keys are a bit strangely hard but all in, quite impressed by this, the fact it has bluetooth and 3 USBs (my XPS only has 2 :( ) is a plus. Only downside is the lack of a backlit keyboard but for the price? who cares..

Oh FWIW, the battery is not as good as the NC10 so far but not too shabby, its 4Cell and we got a clear 3 hours out of it last night without it running out.. (we powered off with what it said was 1 hr remaining).

FBP.

fatboypee wrote: »
    Laptop arrived yesterday. Wife has an NC10 already and this is it's replacement.
    same here, except i haven't pulled the trigger on this one.

I'm thinking i might go for the Asus Transformer Infinity when it's released (with the UK keyboard) in a few days time. :)

i don't think my wife will miss windows either, she already has a 7" android tablet and an android phone so no learning curve there and she'll effectively get a 10.1" tablet & a laptop (and 10+ hours of battery life) all in one. :D

the more i think about it, the more i like the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Arachn

yesno1234 wrote: »
    If you're buying off Amazon itself it's always been available.

Hmmm... Try to buy any of Amazon's Kindles. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

I'm thinking i might go for the Asus Transformer Infinity when it's released (with the UK keyboard) in a few days time. :)

Do you have a link or know where you will be able to buy this please?

Opr

Advertisement