Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 11.6 laptop 375 euros

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Jarren wrote: »

wish that they had a 11.6 inch version of this. 10.1 inch screen is a bit too small for any typing work after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Got this is Powercity today and loving it so far. They accidentally gave me the 15.6inch one at first, which I pondered keeping, but decided against it. Extremely fast for a notebook this size and great design (reminds me of a macbook). Very good value @ €375. Cheers to OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Can anyone comment on the wifi signal strength with the Samsung 305U, some reviewers are saying it's very poor and this would put me off buying this model big time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Tusky wrote: »
    I'm currently using an Acer Aspire One 522 netbook (this one: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/netbooks/acer-aspire-one-522-review-50003377/) and I find it frustratingly slow. I'm also not a fan of the keyboard.

I have the 522 as well, it's dreadfully slow, Win7 on it is criminal, you need to use XP for it, really. Strange review though, says the One 522 can't handle HD, I use mine to play 1080p content on the TV often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OutOnHighway61

MayoForSam wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on the wifi signal strength with the Samsung 305U, some reviewers are saying it's very poor and this would put me off buying this model big time?

I've had this a couple of weeks. The wi-fi strength is good, I've noticed no problems. Downloading large files from the internet, using wi-fi, is fast. I live in a two-storey house where the signal strength is strong in every room.

However, battery life is only average. I get around 3 hours between charges. I have the laptop in hibernate mode between uses which probably explains the battery performance. From hibernate it takes less than 10 seconds to boot up which is fantastic.

The charge port on the laptop does not fit the cable very well. Any slight movement of the laptop while charging causes the cable to disconnect. With the lid closed there is no visible indicator to see whether the laptop is still connected to the mains. It's a niggle which I'm getting used to.

The video/audio is superb when connected via hdmi to my lcd tv.

It's very light, can be easily held in one hand.

Overall, I give it an 8/10- highly recommended. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,289 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The charge port on the laptop does not fit the cable very well. Any slight movement of the laptop while charging causes the cable to disconnect. With the lid closed there is no visible indicator to see whether the laptop is still connected to the mains. It's a niggle which I'm getting used to.
    Is this not a bit foolish on your part? The issue should not be there at all, and it can only get worse....

I'd be going back to the shop (after backing up any files I wanted to keep).

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Jarren wrote: »
    it was supposed to be sept. 10th, but amazon and asus are farting around with actually releasing it for some reason.

seemingly they did get a small amount of initial stock and a few early pre-orders went out around the 10th, but there has been no sign of any since then, other that some amazon reseller taking advantage and selling the french version with an azerty keyboard, which is out of the question.

i'm trying really hard to not buy anything else in the meantime, but i'm half thinking of saving myself a packet and just getting the transformer prime instead.

it looks like it could be a great product, but the sales and marketing departments should all be (hypothetically) frogmarched outside and shot. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Esel wrote: »
    Is this not a bit foolish on your part? The issue should not be there at all, and it can only get worse....

I'd be going back to the shop (after backing up any files I wanted to keep).

+1 That issue would be a PITA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Just looking at the specs I cannot see an Ethernet port on the Samsung NP305U1A-A01UK, no ethernet port could be a deal breaker. Am I correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just looking at the specs I cannot see an Ethernet port on the Samsung NP305U1A-A01UK, no ethernet port could be a deal breaker. Am I correct?

It does have an enternet port. Regards signal strength, it's very fast in my house, but slow from my bedroom. I think this is a problem with the wireless connection rather than the laptop though, as it happens for others in the house too. Can receive 72mb downstairs, so network card seems decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

OP and other people I dont see how ye think this laptop is a bargain? Its actually a bit of a rip off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

areyawell wrote: »
    OP and other people I dont see how ye think this laptop is a bargain? Its actually a bit of a rip off!
    Feel free to share some links with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OutOnHighway61

BostonB wrote: »
    +1 That issue would be a PITA.

You're right. I've looked again and guess what, with some extra force the cable DOES connect quite securely to the charge port. I was not using enough pressure to secure it properly. Happy days! :D

Advertisement