Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on what I should do with my sick(ish) cat

Options
  • 05-09-2012 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Hi
    I have a 10 year old cat (originally feral) who had breathing difficulties one night about 2 months ago. Took her to the vet hospital (UCD) and €578 later incl. X-Rays, they diagnosed an asthma attack. I had to take her to my vet the next morning and he kept her overnight. Did some more tests and suggested it was a bronchial infection, but he couldn't be sure. Since then she has been back to the vet a couple of times as she is losing weight (about 15% of her body weight in 2 months) despite her appetite being good, possibly even better than before the asthma attack. She has had more tests for thyroid function, feline aids etc. but nothing is showing up. The vet charges have been €534 in 2 months on top of the hospital charges. The vet is now suggesting more X-Rays which will cost €150 + whatever treatment is needed if they find the root of the problem. I simply don't know what to do.:( I love her to bits and despite losing weight, she seems healthy and well and doesn't appear to be in pain, but €1,100 later and I still don't know what's wrong with her. The problem is compounded by the fact that I've had to give up work myself on medical grounds and money is really tight. Even whilst working €1,100 was very hard to justify, but now, the idea of spending another €150+ with no guarantees that she will recover is head wrecking. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Have they checked her kidneys? Kidney failure is common in older cats and weight loss is a symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Monsclara

Magenta wrote: »
    Have they checked her kidneys? Kidney failure is common in older cats and weight loss is a symptom.

Thanks Magenta - maybe that's it. I'm waiting on the results from biochemistry tests which I assume includes testing the kidneys. If it is kidney failure, do you know the prognosis and if can it be managed?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I'm assuming the parathyroid has be checked. Also ask calcium.
    We had a cat that developed bordatella and had an awful wheeze. He was never quite 100% after it. His weight dropped hugely and very quickly and after testing everything and X-rays etc we discovered he has hypercalcemia, too much calcium. It's been controlled by meds for the last 2 yrs and his levels have come back to normal finally and he has gained all his lost weight.
    It's a quick and easy blood test and results immediately.

I'm assuming the parathyroid has be checked. Also ask calcium.
    We had a cat that developed bordatella and had an awful wheeze. He was never quite 100% after it. His weight dropped hugely and very quickly and after testing everything and X-rays etc we discovered he has hypercalcemia, too much calcium. It's been controlled by meds for the last 2 yrs and his levels have come back to normal finally and he has gained all his lost weight.
    It's a quick and easy blood test and results immediately.

That sounds promising, thanks. I'm waiting to get the results of her ADL Biochemistry screen (not sure what that is) today. One of the really irritating things about the vet is he doesn't explain what the tests are for and it's all a bit mysterious except for my bank account! I've explained I have a scientific background, albeit engineering, but I'm still left clueless as to what's happening - enough whingeing! Yes she was tested for thyroid issues and that came back negative. To be honest I was hoping it would be positive as it's the only condition I could find with her symptoms. But I'll see what happens today and ask about the calcium. Apart from acute weight loss did your cat have any other symptoms? My one is more lethargic, doesn't groom as much and in general a bit more clingy which she isn't normally. Also, was the bordatella related to the hypercalcemia, or just coincidental? I'll keep you posted, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I'm not sure if the two were linked tbh.
    Apart from the weight loss his coat became poor, he was drinking lots of water, he was lethargic ( normally he is bouncing off the walls,this really concerned us). His kidneys had started to fail and his liver has become affected.
    Thankfully our vet is excellent and went through everything with us from the start. Once he discovered this was the problemhe took action straight away and within a short time his kidney function and liver were back to normal. It has taken time to get the calcium down but we got there eventually.

• Advertisement

Hi

Well her test results are back and there appears to be some liver damage and that's about it. The plan is to put her on a special diet and see how she responds. Her calcium levels are normal and kidneys are fine too. So it's fingers crossed. Thanks for your comments and input.

Advertisement