Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are FETAC level 5 courses given the same status as the Leaving Cert?

• 05-09-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

As a path to a 3rd level course and eventually a job?

I (20) have been out of education for a few years and never done my Leaving. FETAC sounds easier to focus on than studying 6 LC subjects as a way of getting into a university. In my case I am interested in Business Studies.

But there must be a catch... surely? Or am I being paranoid?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Hi there, just finished a FETAC Level 5 and progressing onto a Level 6 this year, not in business but just said I would throw my two cents in.

There is not a catch as such but it is a bit different. Each college will have different types of specifications in what they want in a student so look up college you may be interested in progressing onto and make sure that your course is included in that. Also they will look at grading, FETAC are not graded in percentages you will get a fail, a pass, a merit or a distinction, the latter being the highest, most colleges will specify that they want atleast a certain number of distcitions, sometimes they will want distinctions in certain modules of the course to be considered for a place.

Also each course usually has a number of places set aside for FETAC students, mature/non trad students and the rest are set for traditional students. The number of places will vary for each course, sometimes they have it on their website others you will have to enquire, for a course I was looking at with 30 places there was 4 set aside for FETAC and the rest were set aside for traditional students, so it is competive but you will get out of it what you put into it and it's not like it isn't competive for traditional students too.

So there isnt a catch really it is just a different route, if you do well in your CFE course then that will make them take notice, I think it's also very handy for figuring out of this is really for you, my class started with 34 last year and we ended up with just under 20, some dropped out for other reasons but some because they realised it wasn't for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Thank you. So doing the Leaving would make you more likely to get a place than FETAC? The only thing is my local Adult Education Centre only offers English, Maths and History so I was looking to go down the FETAC route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Thank you. So doing the Leaving would make you more likely to get a place than FETAC? The only thing is my local Adult Education Centre only offers English, Maths and History so I was looking to go down the FETAC route.

No not more likely, there are just much more traditional students which places need to be allocated for, much less would be going the FETAC route, I know a girl who completed her Level 5 and Level 6 and was offered one of the 4 places for FETAC students.

I personally think given your options FETAC would probably be the best route for you and if you do well and meet the criteria then there is no reason why you shouldn't progress onto an I.T. Or college.

P.S. You might be as well to ask a Mod to move this thread onto the FETAC/PLC section of boards, you should get loads of advice there from non-trad students which is what you will be as they might miss it in the Leaving Cert section, just a thought. :)

Advertisement