Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facism breaks out in tourist Tunisia.

• 05-09-2012 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭

''It was believed to be the first such attack on a
    hotel in the North African country, which relies
    heavily on tourism.
    "About 100 Salafis attacked the hotel on
    Monday night and smashed all its contents.
    They entered the rooms and damaged furniture
    and smashed bottles of alcohol," Jamil Horcheni,
    the owner of the hotel, told Reuters.
    He said ultra-conservative Islamists had
    threatened to attack his hotel in May if he did
    not stop selling alcohol.
    Tunisia, whose authoritarian president, Zine El
    Abidine Ben Ali, was overthrown by a popular
    uprising last year, now has an elected Islamist-
    led government. There have been several
    attacks on cultural and tourist sites since the
    revolt.
    In recent weeks, Salafi groups have prevented
    several concerts and plays from taking place in
    Tunisian cities, saying they violate Islamic
    principles, worrying secular-minded Tunisians
    who believe freedom of expression is in danger.''

France 24 (TV News) reports boot boys attacking tourists and smashing up bars.
    People protesting over plays and cultural events and police doing feck all.

Nudder tourist destination off the cards. Remeber that place was pedddled as paradise by some travel agents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

Heil Führer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That sounds like Religion rather than Fascism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

This is why we can't have nice things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I blame crab people they're the biggest fascists out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That debate is over now on France24. Anyone who watched it would be surprised by their coverage of recent events.

Place looks lovely still though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Nothing new. Islamo-fascism has been steadily growing over in the Middle East since the 70s. Since the "freedom" gained last Spring across the region, there's been an alarming surge in their activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

We'll have to go on the auld Crusades again. . .Methinks. . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yep, Tunisia crossed off the list of holiday destinations, along with anywhere else these dark ages **** think its accepted to target tourists.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Overthrow

I think I'll become a fundamentalist. That way I can run around with my buddies tearing up the gaf and just blame it on something I read in a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Someday people are going to have to learn the meaning of the word 'fascism'
    squod wrote: »
    Nudder tourist destination off the cards. Remeber that place was pedddled as paradise by some travel agents.
    I really don't think that the impact on tourism is the most disturbing thing about these events...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

As long as the Canaries stays free of radical Islam maniacs I'm fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

CRUSADE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Westen history is going to judge the 'Arab Spring' very differently than it did last year. The likes of Egypt are certainly becoming a lot less 'free' than one may have expected, or at least hoped.

Westen history is going to judge the 'Arab Spring' very differently than it did last year. The likes of Egypt are certainly becoming a lot less 'free' than one may have expected, or at least hoped.
    To quote Blum, 1848 (the original 'European Spring') is remembered not for what it achieved but for what it promised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Lord Derpington

Source for article

Looks like a nice hotel to be honest, might get a good deal from now on :D

I was in Tunisia about 2 years ago in Sousse at Port El Kantaoui, I know thats a dedicated tourist spot but we didn't have any problem getting served alcohol anywhere.
    There were even multiple nightclubs in Sousse, pity to see it go this way really tourism is worth a butload of money to Tunisia and attacks on innocent people due to they not abiding by your belief are really not the way to promote it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

These uprisings are popular, but what happens afterwards isn't, because they seem to get hijacked by worse people than ran the countries in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Went there many years ago and it was a lovely Country. People welcomed the tourists BUT these trouble makers just want it to go back to the Stone Age, then come begging the West for Food Aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Anyone with an ounce of historical knowledge knew this was coming. Happened after the Iranian revolution. People think they have it bad under a secular dictator but these are the guys that keep a lid on the fundy lunatics. Soon as the the old guy is out the fundies take over the 'revolution'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Calibos wrote: »
    Anyone with an ounce of historical knowledge knew this was coming. Happened after the Iranian revolution. People think they have it bad under a secular dictator but these are the guys that keep a lid on the fundy lunatics. Soon as the the old guy is out the fundies take over the 'revolution'.

Happened in Iraq, Lybia and now Syria as well as Eygt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

That lad from the Financial Times called theses bootboys ''brownshirts''. Thats a pretty damning word to use. For my 2c I say this has nothing to do with religion and a lot to do with people trying to gain control for the benefit of themselves.

Feelings of superiority, bigotry, suppression of peoples rights, funny costumes (habib), it's all there and more. Let's all sit back and watch the UN do what it was founded to do, or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭brimal

Religion of Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I wonder how different things would be had the Americans not backed Israel to the hilt, and kept it's big nose out over the decades

Calibos wrote: »
    And anyone with an ounce of insight into history knows that this doesn't happen by accident. Those corrupt and decrepit secular regimes collapsed because they were, well, corrupt and decrepit. In the process they make the Islamists look good in comparison. The problem here lies as much with the failings of the former regime, and those that supported it, as with "the fundies", as you put it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Nothing new. Islamo-fascism has been steadily growing over in the Middle East since the 70s. Since the "freedom" gained last Spring across the region, there's been an alarming surge in their activity.

I found it was hilarious that most western commentators thought the 'arab spring' was a good thing.
    A backwards, uneducated, fundamentalist populace will elect a backwards, uneducated, fundamentalist government

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I found it was hilarious that most western commentators thought the 'arab spring' was a good thing.
    A backwards, uneducated, fundamentalist populace will elect a backwards, uneducated, fundamentalist government
    Whereas democracy just sprung into the minds of the enlightened Europeans? Talk about uneducated

Democracies are built through struggle. 1848 produced little of note (except perhaps increased counter-reaction) but remains a milestone in the emergence of a European democratic tradition. Challenging corrupt authoritarian regimes, regardless of the tangible immediate outcomes, can only be a Good Thing in terms of building democracy and advancing social conciousness

Otherwise you're just writing off a huge chunk of the world as primitive savages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

squod wrote: »

Far, far from it. I know, I was one of the unfortunates duped in to visiting not more than eight years back. We dared to venture out of our hotel one day (although every local brochure recommended not to) and we wandered along the main road to town where about twenty vehichles slowed down to...shout obscenities and stare us out...with what all I can describe as looks of utter hatred towards us, the 'westerners'.
    We were treated the same at the hotel, with utter hostility from all the staff. Not a welcoming people at all.

Advertisement