Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Akita eyes oozing and very red

• 05-09-2012 3:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

As it says my 4 year old American/jap Akita has recently started scratching his left eye a lot rubbin it off walls and even my knees and hands and is oozing ( looks like sleep) and I looked at it proper and it's red under his eye lid
    So I got warm water and cleaned it and he was ok
    Then this morning same thing and the right eye is startin to look the same
    So I cleaned both eyes out and he is scratching more
    I'm thinkin it's glaucoma so I'm cautious as its contagious or so I was told
    Anyway it'll be Thursday by the time I get the time to take him to vets because of work
    Anyone advice on better cleaning it till then or if they know what it is??
    Me heart is breaking lookin at him this way it looks really itchy for him

Thanks in advance
    Atb

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Can you not get an hour off to take him to the vets? Hopefully you can as I hate hearing about dogs in pain :( I have two eye infections myself at the moment, I'm taking an ointment under my eye lid for them. I also use a warm salt water solution with an eye bath to draw the pus out. You could try something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭golden8

I would go to the vet asap. sore eyes is not very nice been there, meanwhile as the above poster has said salt water solution. As far as I know glucoma is not contagious but if not caught in time can cause blindness. But best go to the vet asap even it it means taking time off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Id say its conjunctivitis rather than glaucoma, try bathing his eyes with a cool tea bag, it'll stain him yellow if hes white but it gives great relief till you can get antibiotic drops from the vet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Id say its conjunctivitis rather than glaucoma, try bathing his eyes with a cool tea bag, it'll stain him yellow if hes white but it gives great relief till you can get antibiotic drops from the vet
    He's as white as snow unfortunately
    I've been lookin online and it doesn't sound like glaucoma
    Sounds more like an ordinary eye infection and best solution is warm water with salt to kill off the infection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

could even be that he is alergic to something in your garden or house,dogs can also suffer from allegies like pollen ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sounds more like an ordinary eye infection and best solution is warm water with salt to kill off the infection

If your dog has an infection, salt and water wont heal it up. Please please bring your dog to the vet and get it sorted. Leaving it in pain is just cruel and so unfair to the dog :(

Looking online will not help your dog so stop trying to diagnose through google etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

I agree leaving the dog in pain is cruetly,you should bring it to the vet,and they will give you the right medication/diagnosis,and probably snap a cone collar on him so he wont irriatate his own eyes further to stop him scratching any medication out of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

G
    andreac wrote: »

If your dog has an infection, salt and water wont heal it up. Please please bring your dog to the vet and get it sorted. Leaving it in pain is just cruel and so unfair to the dog :(

Looking online will not help your dog so stop trying to diagnose through google etc.
    Im not trying to look for a diagnosis off google
    I'm lookin for best way to keep it clean till I get to a vets tomoro as I stated I'm workin and won't have free time until tomoro so before slatin me read what my first post says!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

+1 Glaucoma wouldnt be presenting with those symptoms. It sounds like conjunctivitis or he could have entropion (eyelashes turned inwards scratching the eye). Either way dont put any home creams in his eye. Use the cooled teabag suggestion as it sounds like you'll be getting antibiotic drops tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Get a friend or family member to take him to the vet for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Very harsh to leave the dog suffering like that. Take a half day or get a friend to bring the dog to the vet for you. Find a solution. Poor thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

You wrote the above which looked like you were just going to treat it with that solution and it would kill off the infection. You said yourself you were looking online for a diagnosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

Guys my sympathy is with the OP on this one. Why do we post queries like this on Boards? It is looking for support, seeking feedback. It is not to use it as a substitute for going to the vet and the OP made it clear that they were going to the vet ASAP. But sometimes there is a tendency for very emotive responses on this forum to imply that you are a bad person (using the word cruelty above), which makes many of us reluctant to post opinions in this particular forum. I had it myself awhile ago.
    If everybody went straight to the vet and never posted a query on Boards there would be much less activity on this particular forum. Life is a balance, and most of us are trying to look after families, hold down jobs and give pets a good home. Boards can be a great support, but it a shame if someone posting, with a genuine worry and trying to do the best for their pet comes away feeling worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

How did you get on at the vet today op?

Advertisement