Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭abff

Any idea why they're still playing in three balls with a two tee start?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

abff wrote: »
    Any idea why they're still playing in three balls with a two tee start?

Good question and the reason for my incorrect assumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Aidric wrote: »
    Good question and the reason for my incorrect assumption.

assume its weather related?

GreeBo wrote: »
    assume its weather related?

That's what I thought at first, but they're not playing early. It's probably for the TV coverage, but I think playing in pairs works better over a weekend and I don't like two tee starts when it's not necessary. Maybe I'm just a traditionalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

There's no cut so maybe it's a bigger field than usual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Tox56 wrote: »
    There's no cut so maybe it's a bigger field than usual

No, there's only 70 players in the field, usually top 72 plus ties make the cut.

fullstop wrote: »
    No, there's only 70 players in the field, usually top 72 plus ties make the cut.

On most US tour events, it's top 70 plus ties, with a further cut after round 3 if more than 78 players make the cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

On most US tour events, it's top 70 plus ties, with a further cut after round 3 if more than 78 players make the cut.
    Another cut after the third round???you are wrong.,you're mixin it up with .if there are too many ties those players tied still get paid but are sent home.They call it something like MCDF ,(made cut didn't finish.)

heavyballs wrote: »
    Another cut after the third round???you are wrong.,you're mixin it up with .if there are too many ties those players tied still get paid but are sent home.They call it something like MCDF ,(made cut didn't finish.)

Not to be argumentative, but if they don't get to play in the last round, how is it NOT a cut? I know they get paid, and it's not recorded as a MC in their stats for the season, but the key issue is that they are doing it to restrict the number of players on the final day so that the don't run into time problems.

Not to be argumentative, but if they don't get to play in the last round, how is it NOT a cut? I know they get paid, and it's not recorded as a MC in their stats for the season, but the key issue is that they are doing it to restrict the number of players on the final day so that the don't run into time problems.
    There is no cut after rd 3, for those in the mcdf it goes down as a cut made but this is still after rd 2 not 3.

• Advertisement

There is no cut after rd 3, for those in the mcdf it goes down as a cut made but this is still after rd 2 not 3.

Sorry to disagree, but it happens after round 3, not round 2. For example, PH's results from the Shell Houston Open this reason were as follows: T71 69 73 74 -- -- 216 E $11,700.00

Sorry to disagree, but it happens after round 3, not round 2. For example, PH's results from the Shell Houston Open this reason were as follows: T71 69 73 74 -- -- 216 E $11,700.00
    It's very rare for it to happen after rd3,google'PGA cut mdf'

It's not that rare at all. For example, the following is a summary of the number making the cut in the first five full field PGA tournaments of 2012:

Date________Tournament____________Made cut__MDF__Finished
    15/01/2012__Sony Open________________80_____10_____70
    22/01/2012__Humana Challenge__________75____________75
    29/01/2012__Farmers Insurance Open______79_____6_____73
    05/02/2012__Phoenix Open______________78____________78
    12/02/2012__AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am____80____12_____68

If you want to check the results for yourself, click on the following link: http://www.owgr.com/events/events_history.sps

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

So are you trying to tell me this weeks field is actually bigger than normal, or just nit picking?

So are you trying to tell me this weeks field is actually bigger than normal, or just nit picking?

I was agreeing with your point about the field for the final two rounds not being bigger than normal.

I guess maybe I was nit picking about the cut being top 70 rather than top 72 plus ties. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Martin567

The MDF procedure only ever applies to those who play 54 holes in an event. Effectively it is a second cut which takes place after the third round. Those players affected still receive prize money but it is not counted as a missed cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Think about what you are saying heavyballs. A player makes the cut after 2 rounds but is not allowed play the third round. That's plain daft.

If every single player in the field is tied 70th or better( in standard events) then they qualify to play third round.

The mdf happens after round 3.

Think about what you are saying heavyballs. A player makes the cut after 2 rounds but is not allowed play the third round. That's plain daft.

If every single player in the field is tied 70th or better( in standard events) then they qualify to play third round.

The mdf happens after round 3.
    I stand corrected so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Some leaderboard at the moment. Harrington, G Mac and McIlroy all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Tiger struggling but. A good back 9 will get him back in the running. Class leader board alright though.

Anyone see D Johnson's ball landing in yer wan's hand bag. Funny stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

Whats the story with the Tour Championship in 2 weeks- do points still stand or is everything reset and any one of the 30 can win it and take the $10 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

There is some sort of reset alright, but havnt a clue how it works.

All i know is that the Top 5 going in will win the whole thing if they win in Atlanta.

And if none of the Top 5 win, its mathematically possible for the 30th place player going in to win the thing.

The rest of it is over my head though.

The americans with there projections are unreal

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Some chip-in by Vijay. Some great scores out there.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Fantastic night of golf viewing so far.

-Ade- wrote: »
    Fantastic night of golf viewing so far.

Serious ball striking display by Westwood on the last 4 or so holes. Hopefully he can take it through to tomorrow. He is so good to watch in this form!!

Vijay is a putting machine so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

did westwood have words with his caddie while shaking hands at the last ?

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    did westwood have words with his caddie while shaking hands at the last ?

Didnt see it.. I cant imagine it was much of a telling off anyway. If that's what you are getting at. Him and Billy are great buds!!

Billy is still out injured isnt he ? He got rid of Mike Waite after the last major, not sure who he has on the bag now. He basically shook his hand then held onto it while moving closer to him , looked stern doing it, maybe I am imagining things

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    Billy is still out injured isnt he ? He got rid of Mike Waite after the last major, not sure who he has on the bag now. He basically shook his hand then held onto it while moving closer to him , looked stern doing it, maybe I am imagining things

Is he still injured. Didnt realise. Dont know who is on the bag so. He's off 3 or 4 months now is he? Was just after the masters he got injured was it?

• Advertisement

got injured back in may and out for 6 months with knee injury must be due back soon. I believe its Mike Kerr on the bag now. Caddied for Quiros, Jimenez and a few others at some stage or another.

Advertisement