Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMW Championship

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Didn't get to see any golf yesterday but that is one of the finest final day leaderboards I've seen this year.

McIlroy is bang in there for back to back but I'd like to see Phil getting back to winning ways. Harrington will probably need to shoot another 65 imo to advance to the tour championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭BiffoGooner

Was I hearding things on the radio this morning or did a bloke say something about players having to be seperated at the end of their round yesterday and now have to play together today or something like that? Maybe I was still dreamin'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Was I hearding things on the radio this morning or did a bloke say something about players having to be seperated at the end of their round yesterday and now have to play together today or something like that? Maybe I was still dreamin'..

didn't hear that or see the golf last night. But on Newstalk this afternoon it referred to the final two ball today being VJ & Phil, and the fact that they don't like each other after a row years ago, where in the dressing room they had to be held apart after VJ made a comment about all the spike marks Phil was leaving all over the greens.

Maybe it was something to do with that you heard?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Quahog217

I'd like to see phil win this tonight. Cant see vijay winning, but what a leaderboard it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

blockic wrote: »
    There is some sort of reset alright, but havnt a clue how it works.

All i know is that the Top 5 going in will win the whole thing if they win in Atlanta.

And if none of the Top 5 win, its mathematically possible for the 30th place player going in to win the thing.

The rest of it is over my head though.

The americans with there projections are unreal
    It's a full reset with the #1 player getting 2500 points, #2: 2250. #3: 2000, #4: 1800, #5: 1600 etc. down to 210 points for #30.

The old points totals are dropped completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

rrpc wrote: »
    It's a full reset with the #1 player getting 2500 points, #2: 2250. #3: 2000, #4: 1800, #5: 1600 etc. down to 210 points for #30.

The old points totals are dropped completely.

So then if player #30 wins in two weeks, he wins everything?

But Tiger said the following here
    “It's interesting, you can go and win the first three playoff events, finish second in the last one and not win it,”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

SnowDrifts wrote: »
    So then if player #30 wins in two weeks, he wins everything?

Nope, if you are outside the top 5 and win, other peoples positions become a factor aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Great grind for McIlroy!! Exhibition stuff again today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

kiers47 wrote: »
    Great grind for McIlroy!! Exhibition stuff again today.

Wonder can he do the three in a row?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭big_drive

McIlroy is going to another level these couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Following it on shot tracker-6 under at -21,3 ahead 2 to play. Unreal stuff,bet he doesn't want the year to end!
    Paddy and GMac well back, won't make it to the Coca-Cola

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

Fair play to him - he's done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Back to back victories for McIlroy, operating at an impressive level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Unreal-As Bobby Robson would've said"the boy's played well".

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Great win for Rory, with all the top names trying to shoot the lights out at top of leader board too. Scrambled well yesterday when it don't go perfectly for him and pushed through today smooth having started from behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Very well played. He's turned what was a pretty ordinary year into an extremely good one in the last few weeks. Right on time for the Ryder Cup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Some going, 3 wins in last 4. Seen this on twitter. Not too shabby!

"Rory McIlroy has two wins in the last seven days. He's earned $2.88 million. That's $411,428 per day, $17,143 per hour and $286 per minute."

blockic wrote: »
    Some going, 3 wins in last 4. Seen this on twitter. Not too shabby!

"Rory McIlroy has two wins in the last seven days. He's earned $2.88 million. That's $411,428 per day, $17,143 per hour and $286 per minute."
    It's actually 10 days if you're counting from the start of the Deutsche Bank. ;)

Better to say it's $20,000 for each hole played :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Right on time for the Ryder Cup too.

Seriously... Why does everyone have to keep mentioning the Ryder Cup like it's the most prestigious tournament and foremost in every golfers mind whether battling to make the cut in a weekly tournament or in contention for a major and the benefit it would have on their Ryder Cup placings.
    The Ryder Cup has to be the most over hyped and over inflated tournament in my view. Not only have they a captain whirling around the course trying to impact the players and their performance but also 3 vice captains. Talk about overkill. It's a bit of fun and gives professional golfers the chance to play somewhat of a team game with some continental rivalry but personally I'd place it well down the list of exciting/important golfing tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RikkFlair wrote: »
    Right on time for the Ryder Cup too.

Seriously... Why does everyone have to keep mentioning the Ryder Cup like it's the most prestigious tournament and foremost in every golfers mind whether battling to make the cut in a weekly tournament or in contention for a major and the benefit it would have on their Ryder Cup placings.
    The Ryder Cup has to be the most over hyped and over inflated tournament in my view. Not only have they a captain whirling around the course trying to impact the players and their performance but also 3 vice captains. Talk about overkill. It's a bit of fun and gives professional golfers the chance to play somewhat of a team game with some continental rivalry but personally I'd place it well down the list of exciting/important golfing tournaments.

No one is saying its foremost on any golfers mind.

Simple facts.
    The Ryder Cup is coming up. Ryder Cup players are hitting form. That should make the Ryder Cup a better event. If I mention Ryder Cup again will your head explode. :)

Ryder Cup

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Simply a great tournament from start to finish, better than some of the majors this year in terms of quality of golf and pure TV enjoyment.
    Great win against a great field.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

fantastic shot making from rory. When courses are long and soft, he is king. He can bomb it out there and make it come down from great heights.

As a sidenote, Rory really should have the fedex in his back pocket by now....t24 and two wins are unreal results and nobody should be close to him.

funny thing is, with the reset, if he comes second to snedeker, snedders takes the $10m with a 2nd, 6th and t37th

if Rory does take the 10m, could push his earnings over the $20m mark this year:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

Probably getting that and more from titleist Oakley and the rest of his sponsors

He's on fire at the moment

Roll on the Ryder Cup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Was it a "bit of fun" when Seve & Nick Faldo, 2 great rivals who never saw eye to eye, broke down & cried in each others arms after Faldo winning a vital point in 1995?

A "bit of fun" when the Americans went ape**** after that Justin Leonard putt in 99?

Was all the incredible emotion surrounding Darren Clarke at the K Club just a "bit of fun"? I could go on and on.

Your opinion is in a tiny minority.

soundsham wrote: »
    Probably getting that and more from titleist Oakley and the rest of his sponsors

Roll on the Ryder Cup

yeah will be kind of vagely interesting to see how it pans out. for my sins, I'm just not the biggest believer in the 'power' of the ryder cup. I blame monty

It hasnt been that exciting since brookline really.

Sorry!

soundsham wrote: »

Roll on the Ryder Cup
    I was just thinking that J.P FitzGerald must have earned more this year than a lot of tour pros did. Between European tour earnings and US PGA tour, McIlroy must be close to the 10 million mark putting J.P. in and around the million mark himself.

Incidentally does anyone know what the second trophy that Rory got is for? He's pictured with a BMW trophy and another one.

Edit: Found it out for myself ;) The BMW marked one is a replica of the main (J.K. Wadley) Trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

The Ryder Cup is not high up your list of the most exciting golfing tournaments? It's got by far the most partisan, excited crowds, the most amount of celebrating by players, the biggest roars on a golf course you'll ever see, the biggest tv audience and the most emotion from players. Apart from all that, it has consistently served up some of the best golfing drama ever seen. I think that would be undisputed by players and fans alike.

On an individual level, it is hard to define for players. It's not financially significant for them but it's still a big prestige to be a Ryder Cup player, and they love playing in it and they have a huge desire to win. It's not the same as winning a major, but it's a team competition so that comparison is fairly irrelevant. The format itself might be fun for them, but the desire to win and the pressure on them is very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Faldo

Ormus wrote: »
    The Ryder Cup is not high up your list of the most exciting golfing tournaments? It's got by far the most partisan, excited crowds, the most amount of celebrating by players, the biggest roars on a golf course you'll ever see, the biggest tv audience and the most emotion from players. Apart from all that, it has consistently served up some of the best golfing drama ever seen. I think that would be undisputed by players and fans alike.

On an individual level, it is hard to define for players. It's not financially significant for them but it's still a big prestige to be a Ryder Cup player, and they love playing in it and they have a huge desire to win. It's not the same as winning a major, but it's a team competition so that comparison is fairly irrelevant. The format itself might be fun for them, but the desire to win and the pressure on them is very real.
    I think it the 3rd most viewed sporting event world wide.

dont get me wrong, I will watch it, just wont get that excited about it (until probably about 9pm on sunday when it really gets interesting).

monty waving his boobs on tv certainly doesnt help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Faldo

Ah ya monty is an un sufferable ........
    never liked him..
    The u.s crowd are stone lakes and it does get at some of the players...
    It's good sport and great entertainment

Advertisement