Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop sees but cannot connect to iPhone personal hotspot

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I've been trying to use the personal hotspot on the iphone 4 the last while and cannot get it to work via wifi or USB.

Using wifi, the iphone comes up as being in range, however when I click connect, it attempts to detect network type for about 20 seconds and then say the network is no longer available and out of range.

I thought it was something to do with the phone itself or my Meteor account but I have connected it no problem to a friend's ipad.

I thought then it could be the wifi on my laptop but I have a mobile broadband hotspot from O2 and that connects fine (basically I'm paying for the same thing twice but want to make sure the iphone hotspot will work before getting rid of the O2 one)

I've tried to connect it using USB - to be honest i'm not sure how to do this - all instructions on the internet seem to say it should just appear under Network Connections - which it doesn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Try shorten the name of the iPhone and remove any ' characters
    Ie. if its called Paul's iPhone 4, shorten it to paulsiphone4

• Registered Users Posts: 5 edelmh

Thanks for the suggestion CathalDublin - I tried it but still no luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

edelmh wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been trying to use the personal hotspot on the iphone 4 the last while and cannot get it to work via wifi or USB.

Using wifi, the iphone comes up as being in range, however when I click connect, it attempts to detect network type for about 20 seconds and then say the network is no longer available and out of range.

I thought it was something to do with the phone itself or my Meteor account but I have connected it no problem to a friend's ipad.

I thought then it could be the wifi on my laptop but I have a mobile broadband hotspot from O2 and that connects fine (basically I'm paying for the same thing twice but want to make sure the iphone hotspot will work before getting rid of the O2 one)

I've tried to connect it using USB - to be honest i'm not sure how to do this - all instructions on the internet seem to say it should just appear under Network Connections - which it doesn't.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

In view of what you say, I'd head for settings/reset and perform a "reset network settings" -this often has many beneficial effects.

Have you configured the password under settings/personal hotspot?

Finally connecting it by USB is usually as simple as performing the physical action. Ten seconds later, the blue stripe appears showing that you are tethered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 edelmh

Thanks again for the responses. Thought I should give you a quick update, I managed to tether iPhone to loads of other computers so figured it was a problem with my own laptop. In the end I reformatted the laptop hard drive and now it all works fine.

Advertisement