Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workstation-build advice

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €800ish

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Primary: Will be running multiple VM's within VMware workstation (Will need 16GB RAM minimum), Secondary: General Office work, media playback. No games.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Storage not required, Already have SATA3 SSD, ATI HD3450 Graphics, Creative X-Fi Music Sound, 5.1 speakers, Keyboard, Mouse, DVD Burner.

5. Do you need a monitor? No, already have a 22" monitor

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? 1650x1050, Possibly in the future to a HD monitor, ok for the moment.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes

8. How can you pay? Credit card/laser

9. When are you purchasing? No real rush, within a few weeks I guess

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? No help required.

From looking around most new MB's come with DVI/VGA and HDMI, 7.1 Sound on-bard, so may be able to retire the current cards.

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent looking case(quiet), MB that can support 16GB (more if possible) PSU, RAM and CPU (Intel only).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I'm looking for recommendations for a decent looking case(quiet), MB that can support 16GB (more if possible) PSU, RAM and CPU (Intel only).
    Most motherboards support up to 32GB, some upto 64GB, BUT RAM will be expensive if you try to get 64GB's in 4 slots. See if you can get a motherboard with more than 4 slots, I suppose. 8 slots would be good.

I don't recommend the following, as I'm only loosely matching them up;
    €264 MSI X79A-GD65 (8D), Intel X79, LGA2011, ATX, DDR3 (8 DIMM slots)
    €283 Intel Core i7-3820 Bx, LGA2011, ohne Lüfter (quad core)
    €345 64GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-10667U CL9-9-9-24 (8 * 8GB DIMMS)
    Total €892 with another €30 for shipping.

But I'm sure someone else will come with a more sensible option.

The one advantage of a motherboard with 8 DIMMS, is that you could get a 32GB pack of 4*8GB for €180 now, and get a total cost of €727 and then by the other 32GB at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Thanks, thats the kind of advice I was looking for, I didn't realise that there were MB's with 8 DIMM slots... cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Thanks, thats the kind of advice I was looking for, I didn't realise that there were MB's with 8 DIMM slots... cheers
    If you want f**king overkill and money to burn, some of the EVGA Classified motherboards have 8 DIMMS, and 2 CPU slots, (and 4 PCI-E slots) but said motherboards are usually around €450 :eek:

But it'd probably be cheaper to go hunting for a server motherboard that supports 2 CPUs and multiple DIMM slots, than an overclockers wet dream, as the former would probably suit you better.

Server option supports two LGA2011 Xeon E5-2600 series CPUs, and 256GB of RAM, and the motherboard is €470. The EVGA mobo I refer to above would be more pushed towards gamers.

I suppose it depends on who's paying for the stuff; you or an employer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭hefty_langer

Though I'd update this thread to say thanks for the advice re MB. Completed the build about a month ago.
    Went with the following spec
    - MSI X79-GD45(8D) - 8 DIMMs for future expansion, 4 DIMMs currently populated to take advantage of quad-channel, 32GB total (128GB Max).
    - Core i7 3820 (Quad 3.6GHz)
    - Noctua NH-L12 CPU-Cooler
    - Antec 620W 80 PLUS Bronze
    - Antec One Midi Tower
    - Acer Acer S271HLA LED monitor

Reused ATI HD3450, Kingston HyperX SSD.
    Total build cost came to just under €1100.

Advertisement