Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiny Screwdrivers

• 05-09-2012 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I hope this is the right place for this, it is a rather specific question. I am looking for a phillips-head screwdriver small enough to remove screws in a laptop. I used to have one, but unfortunately I only have two flatheads now. Where would be a good place to buy these?

I'm based in Dublin myself, but even a website would do.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

B&Q or any hardware store really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

ebay and amazon would have them no??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Marks Models on Hawkins Street or Dun Laoghaire would also have them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I am looking for a phillips-head screwdriver small enough to remove screws in a laptop. I used to have one, but unfortunately I only have two flatheads now. ...
    Often referred to as "watch-maker's screw-drivers" any decent hardware stockist as already mentioned should have a set (5 or 6 per set) by Dreaper Tools or whoever.

What distinguishes them apart from size is the very long handle in relation to the "blade" size, the rotating top to the splined handle and the ability to turn the screw-driver between thumb and fore-finger while abchoring the top against the palm of your hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

2 euro shops, hardware shops, look for 6 ,or 5 all metal screwdrivers , 3 or 4 inches long.usually in a rectangular plastic, case,with clear plastic see thru front
    .shouldnt cost more than 4 euro in any shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would be careful of exceptionally cheap sets as they can be less finely cut than a reputable brand, which will lead to you rounding the heads on the screws. They also often just come in a blank box too and the actual sizes of the drivers aren't labelled - again, using the wrong one can round the screw, so it's really handy to have even a reference card in the box.

A got a really good draper set for €10, so for the sake of a few extra coins you'll save yourself a world of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

seamus wrote: »
    I would be careful of exceptionally cheap sets as they can be less finely cut than a reputable brand, which will lead to you rounding the heads on the screws. They also often just come in a blank box too and the actual sizes of the drivers aren't labelled - again, using the wrong one can round the screw, so it's really handy to have even a reference card in the box.

A got a really good draper set for €10, so for the sake of a few extra coins you'll save yourself a world of hassle.

+++++1! Nothing worse then a damaged screw head

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Get a decent PH00 screwdriver, it will do the majority of laptops/small electronics. And agreed with the above, bad screwdrivers may strip the screw, and they will not be easy to extract then!

Nick

Advertisement