Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB letter with fees

Options
  • 05-09-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just got letter from AIB with information about fees.

I need to pay 30 euros for using:
    - internet access - 20 cent per visit
    - laser card - 20 cent per transaction
    - laser card withdrawn - 20 cent per withdrawn (even with AIB ATM)
    - 20 cent for every direct debit

and so on and so on.

In the letter it states that it will be sent every 3 months !!!

My question is - when it was changed ???

And other one is - is there other bank without those fees ?

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Hi Tom, Unfortunately i dont know,but i was hit for €40!!! thats a nice chunk out of my already low wages. this is riduculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

And other one is - is there other bank without those fees ?

Ulster Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

I got the same letter yesterday, it was for about €35. I was always under the impression that the more online transactions I made then there would be no costs/fees?. At this rate I will be going back to using cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭justbored

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

The old people are right. ya cant bate the auld mattress!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

It was in t/c when I read it last time - no fees if You do transfer or mobile top up.

But now it is 20 cents for mobile top up.

I think I will dust off my master card and start using it:
    - no charges on every purchase
    - only one fee when transferring cash.

Tom

Ulster Bank - do they had issues some time ago ?

justbored wrote: »

But this isn't savings account !!!

I have separate account for that (there is 30c on it but this is different story).

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I am with Bank of Ireland and I get charged fees but these are waived if I carry out a certain amount of online transactions each month. Could you change banks?

donalg1 wrote: »
    I am with Bank of Ireland and I get charged fees but these are waived if I carry out a certain amount of online transactions each month. Could you change banks?

I'm thinking about moving to different bank but I have master card with AIB - wonder can I leave it there and move current account to other bank ?

Tom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

Wait hold on a second, does the letter say we get charged 20c every time we log in to AIB banking even if we are only checking accounts online?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Consider yourself lucky. Between various transaction fees, interest due, overdraft fees and unpaid dd fees (through my own stupidity) BOI have furnished me with a "bill" for almost EUR85 this quarter..

justbored wrote: »

Yes but my point is :

This isn't savings account !!!

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

20c for using their website ?

So long AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Wait hold on a second, does the letter say we get charged 20c every time we log in to AIB banking even if we are only checking accounts online?
    OU812 wrote: »
    20c for using their website ?

So long AIB
    No, 20c for each transaction made through internet banking

http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/Personal-Current-Acc-Fees-Charge

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

I got a bill for over 30 quid yesterday - disgusted at being charged to use the online service... is that not desinged to lower costs / teller work?!
    I've got savings but nowhere near the 2.5 K needed in my current account.

My parents are with Ulster Bank... the only thing I'm worried about if I switch is who I'd have a better chance getting a mortgage from in the next couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

testicle wrote: »
    Ulster Bank

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭pcardin

My wife is with AIB and got this "bill" yesterday for €24 :mad: I'm with Permanent TSB but haven't noticed them charging me like this. BUt then again it's me, could have missed that.
    Does anyone know if Permanent TSB is charging fees like AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Just got home to find my "statement" for €30.40. They even charged for payments in which were done electronically so no work for them. Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Bailed out by the tax-payer and then bailed out again by the tax-paying customers. Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

disgusted with the fees :mad: i've been with AIB since i was 19. i have had an ulster bank account since 06... now is the time to get rid of AIB! but one Q : can i keep my AIB visa card (and pay it from UB) if i close my AIB current account?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Got a bill for 38 quid yesterday. €150 a year to bank with them?! **** off!

Closing the account today and changing to Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

I suspect UB will be introducing fees sooner rather than later.

I also suspect they would have been introduced by now if UB hadn't made the big IT f++k up.

AIB's new fees are ridiculus - I've had an account with them since 1990. Been internet banking for free since the internet was invented. Having to keep €2500 in my account - earning no interest - is a farce. Luckily I can afford it ut I know many other cannot.
    AIB = C+nts

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Rataan

I also came home to that letter yesterday. I phoned AIB today to complain about them sneaking in those changes to the rules for free banking. They were totally unprepared for it! I got the impression that I was the only person that had called in to complain about this!

Anyway, I will also be switching to Ulster Bank because who knows what else they'll sneak in without informing their customers. The thing is though, I also trade shares with my AIB Online via Goodbodys. Hopefully someone on Boards can tell me is it possible to either open a separate account directly with Goodbodys and transfer my shares to it, or does Ulster Bank also enable share dealing with Goodbodys via its online banking? Basically I want to sever all ties with AIB and take all my shares with me.

I know the obvious answer is to contact Goodbodys and ask them! I did do this, but they couldn't answer my question, took my details, and said they'd call me back! I know from many previous dealings with Goodbodys that you have to chase them and chase them for even the simplest task, hence my asking the question here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 ashmash

I've also received around €35 fee charge. Interestingly, I have had a balance of more than €2,500 in my current account throughout the quarter, after I had read this article in the Independent a while ago: http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/aib-tightens-free-banking-conditions-for-personal-accounts-3057307.html

It came as a surprise, as I haven't been notified by the bank in writing about such a drastic change (from the good old 0 to 35), whilst they tend to send a lot of useless material, and just read about it in the papers.
    They did change the the terms & conditions unilaterally in July ( http://www.aib.ie/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&csblobid=1214428091314&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1214428091314&blobheader=application%2Fpdf ) without any notification.

AIB act like a thief in the night!
    I will certainly go to my branch in the next few days to discuss this issue firmly.

Advertisement