Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB letter with fees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭3_BOoYA_X

Saw one of these 'statements' from a friend yesterday, was shocked. They had been charged over 50 quid.

Heads up for people planning to move to Ulsterbank - I received an email explaining and apoligising the banking error this morning and within the email was a section of recognising current account holders stating "A commitment not to introduce account maintenance fees for Personal Current Account customers until July 2013."

How good of them.. These charges look inevitable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

Other half is with AIB and like everyone else got a shock with the fees.

If moving banks do you just open up a new account in another bank and close your aib or can you do a switch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Gormal

Trampas wrote: »
    Other half is with AIB and like everyone else got a shock with the fees.

If moving banks do you just open up a new account in another bank and close your aib or can you do a switch?

You can do whatever suits you best. After reading all these posts I'm glad I moved to UB before all the palava started. I even cited the upcoming fees as a reason for leaving although I was glad to get a visa debit too as I do lot of online shopping and laser was useless.

If you ask me there should be a law against transaction charges!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Got this fee bill too the other day, totalling €38.80. Ba$tards have a cheek to charge for mobile top-ups and Internet banking. The whole point is that it cuts down on their paperwork, it should be free of charge.

With them since i was 16. Definitely moving. Bye bye AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Charges for mobile top up and internet banking???:eek:
    U.B here i come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seithon

I got one of these too.. I do a transfer once or twice a month to my mothers account.. I don't do topups however :/
    So I still get fee's even though I carry a balance over 2.5k :/

I'm starting to think I might setup an account in the UK at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭uli84

this came handy for the Ulster Bank i have to say;) AIB had a chance to get more clients, oh well...looking at the number/amount of charges they don't care

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

seithon wrote: »
    I got one of these too.. I do a transfer once or twice a month to my mothers account.. I don't do topups however :/

I don't understand - it says if you keep 2.5k in your current account you're exempt, yet you still get charged?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ashmash

seithon wrote: »

I experienced the same problem. I've had more than 2.5K, yet they felt free to charge me. AIB->:pac: :( <-Me

Can it be that you dropped below 2,500 for a day or two? It's unclear whether you need to have this amount in your account every single day for the whole period or just on the last day. Somehow I'm afraid the former is their unreasonable charging method.

As for the UK option, it could work fine unless the UK used another currency. Unfortunately, converting your Euro income to Pound in order to pay later in Euro with your credit/debit card makes no economic sense. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Spursdad

Hi all contacted AIB today they said that they do not have to make contact with the customer to let them know about the change in criteria for obtaining free banking. I then rang the regulator who backs that story up! (Sounds familiar). They have to put the changes in the public domain. Which includes all national papers and customers have to check the public domain regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pm1977x wrote: »
    I don't understand - it says if you keep 2.5k in your current account you're exempt, yet you still get charged?

I'm always been charged account fees with AIB and then the next line was a refund for the same amount. I'm assuming the procedure won't have changed except now they are mailing you the charges that you'll get refunded if you meet the criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Closed my AIB account two weeks ago after banking with them for almost twenty years. Wasn't because of the fees, I just got sick of having to queue for 10+ minutes each time I was forced to visit a branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

To add insult to injury they charged me when my wages were credited to my account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ashmash

Closed my AIB account two weeks ago after banking with them for almost twenty years. Wasn't because of the fees, I just got sick of having to queue for 10+ minutes each time I was forced to visit a branch.

Could you actually visit your branch? I find it too demanding.
    My opens only on weekdays from 10am to 4pm (with the generous exception of Thursday when they work until 5pm).

AIB has never been a bank for working people. Now they also impose fees on poor working people, not to mention the miserable guys on the dole who get around €200 a week. They have no chance whatsoever to maintain a €2500 balance. Thus they can pay for the misdeeds of the richer customers...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭zagro

aib is very handy for me because I can make a lodgment or withdrawal at every post office. Fees: 40e for me and 25e for my wife. AIB is loosing two personal accounts now. What about Bank of Ireland, do they charge or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

got my letter a few days ago, being charged 12.70, but ive noticed i can easily shorten that to a tenner from now on.

Was shocked to discover that im being charged 20c just to log into my account online to check balance etc. That fee is just criminal. :mad:

Don't think I was charged for logging in online just for every transaction, debit or credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

johndoe99 wrote: »
    Was shocked to discover that im being charged 20c just to log into my account online to check balance etc. That fee is just criminal. :mad:
    You're not. http://www.aib.ie/personal/current-accounts/Personal-Current-Acc-Fees-Charge

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭ofthelord

Rataan wrote: »
    I also came home to that letter yesterday. I phoned AIB today to complain about them sneaking in those changes to the rules for free banking. They were totally unprepared for it! I got the impression that I was the only person that had called in to complain about this!

Anyway, I will also be switching to Ulster Bank because who knows what else they'll sneak in without informing their customers. The thing is though, I also trade shares with my AIB Online via Goodbodys. Hopefully someone on Boards can tell me is it possible to either open a separate account directly with Goodbodys and transfer my shares to it, or does Ulster Bank also enable share dealing with Goodbodys via its online banking? Basically I want to sever all ties with AIB and take all my shares with me.

I know the obvious answer is to contact Goodbodys and ask them! I did do this, but they couldn't answer my question, took my details, and said they'd call me back! I know from many previous dealings with Goodbodys that you have to chase them and chase them for even the simplest task, hence my asking the question here!

Hi guys, anyone answer the above question by any chance? I've queried this with aib & goodbody & was unable to get a clear reply.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'm always been charged account fees with AIB and then the next line was a refund for the same amount. I'm assuming the procedure won't have changed except now they are mailing you the charges that you'll get refunded if you meet the criteria.

oh right, grand - that's what usually happens to me too, if they start properly charging me now I'll be looking for an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

I've banked with permanent tsb for years and don't pay fees at all. All my family bank with them and none of us pay fees. They had an excellent switching policy a few years ago and all these accounts are charge free and will continue to be for the life time of the account. They have introduced charges now on new accounts but don't think they will be as high as AIB. They have also had visa debit cards for the last number of years which replaced the laser cards. Internet banking is excellent. All we need now is an App.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Do you receive a letter with the charges itemised or is it on your bank statement? I havent received anything yet. I am changing to ulster bank tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Just curious ('cos my knowledge of the Irish banking scene is a bit patchy these days) - why is Ulster Bank the only alternative being considered here? What about Ing, Rabo or one of the other "foreign" banks?

I wouldn't bank with Ulster bank after their fiasco and the way they treated their customers during it.

EBS have a debit mastercard which is fine you get a limited number of transactions free per month and there is no account maintenance fee. Staff are very pleasant and helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

EBS are owned by AIB

That makes no difference, they are both owned by the state.

I am just making the point that banking with EBS is cheaper than banking with AIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Nozzer

What are automated credits?

Advertisement