Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB letter with fees

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Ice87

I'm not being charged at the moment by BOI due to having a graduate account but will be moving to Ulster when I begin getting charged.

http://personalbanking.bankofireland.com/current-accounts/graduate-banking/

"If you have graduated from full time third level education in the last three years, you can apply for a graduate current account. Terms and conditions apply to this account."

May be worth some peoples while in here. Mostly free banking for two years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

Nozzer wrote: »
    What are automated credits?
    automated credits are payments into your account, for example your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

Called into Ulster Bank and switched my AIB account over after 31 years. They were telling me they are getting loads of people switching from AIB. Are AIB idiots? Do they not realise they are losing so many customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Nozzer

Thanks Millie. I've another question. I'm looking at my statement here and it says "phone and internet banking". Am I being charged for simply looking at my account? I can't figure out what it means because I'm also being charged for electronic bill transfers, mobile top ups etc which are the activities I've been using internet banking for. I'm confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

do all the people switching to Ulster Bank not realise that by this time next year they'll be paying the same fees there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭danwhite88

Do these charges apply to student accounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Doodoo

do all the people switching to Ulster Bank not realise that by this time next year they'll be paying the same fees there?

Yes. But it means getting 10 months free banking and the chances are the terms you will have to abide by to get free banking won't be as severe as aib. Leaving e2500 in an account and getting no interest for free banking is mad IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭zagro

Doodoo wrote: »
    Yes. But it means getting 10 months free banking and the chances are the terms you will have to abide by to get free banking won't be as severe as aib. Leaving e2500 in an account and getting no interest for free banking is mad IMO.
    I agree with you. 10 monts free banking and you can switch to Bank of Ireland next year if Ulster fees will be to high

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Closed my AIB account two weeks ago after banking with them for almost twenty years. Wasn't because of the fees, I just got sick of having to queue for 10+ minutes each time I was forced to visit a branch.

That's not a huge amount of time to be fair. Im with Permanent TSB and everytime I need to make a withdrawal Im standing in line for at least 15mins before one of the two people on duty get to me. And thats after I pass all the signs encouraging me NOT to have a face to face transaction- Online Banking, Mobile Banking, ATMs etc, the old way of banking is fading and they dont want to be dealing with customers any more. I wouldnt mind only I still need to queue up to make large withdrawals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bank of Ireland starting fees in the middle of November. Approximately €28 for 90 transactions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

Just curious ('cos my knowledge of the Irish banking scene is a bit patchy these days) - why is Ulster Bank the only alternative being considered here? What about Ing, Rabo or one of the other "foreign" banks?

None of those banks offer current accounts - Rabo is for savings only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Rabo have current accounts. They just don't have cards - yet! I'd say they're watching this unfold very carefully. I'm wouldn't be surprised to see them come in with free banking and take the entire market once Ulster Bank follows AIB.

Really just goes to show how greedy and stupid some corporate institutions are. This will be a huge PR disaster for AIB.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Rabo have current accounts.

I don't see an option to open a current account on http://www.rabodirect.ie/

Also, the headline is "Radodirect - The straight talking savings bank"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Rabo have current accounts. They just don't have cards - yet! I'd say they're watching this unfold very carefully. I'm wouldn't be surprised to see them come in with free banking and take the entire market once Ulster Bank follows AIB.

Really just goes to show how greedy and stupid some corporate institutions are. This will be a huge PR disaster for AIB.

fee-free banking was nothing more than an exercise during the bubble to get more money into the banks for them to lend out, and now that the bubble has long since burst is no longer a viable model.

there are admin costs associated, directly or indirectly, with every transaction, and the banks have done what they can since 2008 to avoid passing on the costs, but is obviously no longer possible.

if someone like Rabo, who have little or no exposure to the Irish property market want to come in an offer "free" banking so be it, but the fees are by no means the only factor that will decide who I bank with, as would be the case with a fair chunk of the population.

if someone like Rabo, who have little or no exposure to the Irish property market want to come in an offer "free" banking so be it, but the fees are by no means the only factor that will decide who I bank with, as would be the case with a fair chunk of the population.

Rabo actually have lots of exposure to the Irish property market through their ownership of ACC.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm planning to move from AIB to Ulster Bank. I've a current a/c, a small loan, and a credit card with them. The loan is paid by direct debit.

I assume the loan would stay with AIB, and the dd used to pay it would be transferred to UB?

LeftBlank wrote: »
    I don't see an option to open a current account on http://www.rabodirect.ie/

Also, the headline is "Radodirect - The straight talking savings bank"

http://www.rabodirect.ie/help/currentaccounts/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Note on that page

Note: These FAQs are only relevant to existing RaboDirect customers who opened their account prior to 7th February 2008.

Ah, apologies. I haven't used my account in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The way I see it ALL banks will soon have charges and all will be similar. They are not going to lose out by being less competitive than a neighbouring bank.

Does anyone know if the Credit Unions charge for using their ATM?
    If not this could be a good option to a normal bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The way I see it ALL banks will soon have charges and all will be similar. They are not going to lose out by being less competitive than a neighbouring bank.

Does anyone know if the Credit Unions charge for using their ATM?
    If not this could be a good option to a normal bank.

Do Credit Unions have ATMs?

I'm seriously considering giving up on banks at this stage, I would love to get paid straight into my CU account and pay all my bills and that in cash through the post office therefore eliminating all transaction fees.

I have AIBs "A Guide to Fees and Charges for Personal Accounts" here in front of me and the charges are crazy and numerous, you pay to talk to someone in the effing bank itself, so if they mess something up and you have to go in and tell them they charge you for the 'privilege'. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,997 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Do Credit Unions have ATMs?

I'm seriously considering giving up on banks at this stage, I would love to get paid straight into my CU account and pay all my bills and that in cash through the post office therefore eliminating all transaction fees.

I have AIBs "A Guide to Fees and Charges for Personal Accounts" here in front of me and the charges are crazy and numerous, you pay to talk to someone in the effing bank itself, so if they mess something up and you have to go in and tell them they charge you for the 'privilege'. :(

There is an ATM outside my local CU. I must inquire about opening an account.

It's not a real current account though?
    Why do I need a RaboDirect Current Account?
    A RaboDirect Current Account is a transaction account which we automatically set up for you. It enables you to move money between your RaboDirect accounts and to transfer money to any bank account held with a financial institution (bank, building society etc) in Ireland.

Do you offer Debit Cards, Credit Cards or ATMs or Statements?
    No. We're an internet bank and so don't provide ATMs, Debit or Credit cards. Customers can download account statements at any time.

Can I set up direct debits from my RaboDirect Current Account?
    No. This facility is not available yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't really understand what the banks are trying to do.
    People will switch back to withdrawing large volumes of cash and that will cause massive security headaches and costs for the banks and a huge problem for the state (which owns the banks doing this) as it will just cause a huge increase in cash-in-transit raids and bank raids not to mention burglaries and muggings.

It will also encourage people to take small deposits out of the system altogether and store them is cash or move to foreign banks like Ulster Bank.

Seems like an utterly counterproductive and totally daft policy.

Although, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the state of the banks in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

LeftBlank wrote: »
    It's not a real current account though?

Correct.

Rabo do not provide an ATM card, debit card, credit card, standing order facilities, direct debit facilities or cash facilities.

Not a current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,666 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

There is an ATM outside my local CU. I must inquire about opening an account.

Mine had one (now gone). But you could only withdrawn from your CU account, a lot of the CU ATM's very like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Got my letter about the charges the other day, even though im a student! Had to go into the branch to inform them of this!

Apparently I had been on a graduate account, even thuogh I hadnt graduated... I dropped out after 3rd year, but they never changed it! Now im in my new course and they have had me on a graduate account for a while now...

If they do not approve it though, Im moving to another bank. I have an ulster bank account already; any thoughts anyone on other accounts that wont charge fees?

Disgraceful to charge fees imo after the bailouts and the money they make off our savings anyway. What a shower of absolute useless gits. The government should be (but of course arent) ashamed of themselves for letting the bankers take this action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I'm with PTSB have not been charged fees, nor heard anything about them brining them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

wingnut wrote: »
    I'm with PTSB have not been charged fees, nor heard anything about them brining them in.

Legacy PTSB Switch accounts do not have fees.

New PTSB accounts do have fees unless you meet their T&C's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

PTSB have less onerous methods of avoiding fees
    All you have to do to qualify is:

1. Use your Visa Debit Card to pay for purchases like petrol or groceries, 18 times per quarter

2. Lodge at least €3,000 to your account every quarter like your salary

3. Make at least one transaction through Open24 every quarter (this could be a funds transfer or bill payment)

4. Keep your account within agreed limits

Remember - if you do not meet all of the above criteria within the quarter then a fee of €12 will apply per quarter.

I have a Switch account with them from around 2005, free fees for life. Must admit it's the only thing keeping me banking with them, they are one seriously incompetent shower to deal with

Advertisement