Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB letter with fees

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

also see this post from AAM

• Registered Users Posts: 7 siuda

Hi All,

I'm just annoyed of AIB like many of you. I've my account with them for last 7 years with constant money flow on all my accounts and I have to pay €38.80 for using my Laser and Internet Banking (greedy b******s). I do not need AIB branch as they opening hours are not for working people.

Think about it:
    Tom has more than €2500 and he's qualified to free banking with AIB,
    John has €100 and he's not qualified and he needs to pay for every transaction €0.20 (even receiving money).

During the weekend Tom have sent 300 transfers for €0.01 to John account. €3.00 has been transferred from Tom account and he don't have to pay any fees. John received 300 payments for €0.01 each in total of €3.00 and he has to pay €60 for fees (300 * €0.20) for receiving money. This is easy way to get someone busted.

I can't collect my wages in cash from my employer and I was pushed to use this sick banking system. It's against the constitution. What about basic right to freedom of choice?

Have a good day!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

siuda wrote: »
    During the weekend Tom have sent 300 transfers for €0.01 to John account. €3.00 has been transferred from Tom account and he don't have to pay any fees. John received 300 payments for €0.01 each in total of €3.00 and he has to pay €60 for fees (300 * €0.20) for receiving money. This is easy way to get someone busted.
    Doesn't work like that, you only pay the €0.20 for incoming paper/staff-assisted transactions, and no staff member is going to take a 1c transaction
    I can't collect my wages in cash from my employer
    Take it up with your employer
    It's against the constitution. What about basic right to freedom of choice?
    That's just nonsense

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭chris2008x

They knew I was a student letter and all from college and I receive this in the post today. Tomorrow I am withdrawing all my money goodbye AIB bunch of thieving *******

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/233386/231577.PNG

"The only difference between a Gangsters and a respectable bankster ain't much, Gangsters rob banks, Banksters rob everybody else". Al Capone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Between my account, her account & our account, we're looking at €66 in charges.

Something's got to give.

• Advertisement

EBS moneymanager is the only cheap option when Ulsterbank introduce fees in July.

They don't charge you for holding the account whether you use it or not. They charge you to withdraw money alright in branch and atm's 30c but you can avoid these charges very easily.

It's free to use your card to purchase goods in-store/online and no charge for using cash-back in stores. So lets say you go into Dunnes/Tesco to do your weekly shopping as most of us do. Get cash-back. Simples

Withdrew all my money from AIB today. Shame just got a new VISA debit card off them. As for my credit card with them I can set up a DD on my EBS account and pay the minimum payment through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I've completely changed the way I bank now to reduce these charges.

I used to keep all my money in my savings and log into my online banking and move €20 into my current account a few minutes before I withdrew it (I'm a bit obsessed with security so didn't like keeping money in my current account) As a result I never had more than €20 in my wallet so if it was robbed I didn't lose much cash nor could anyone withdraw any money from my current account. If I used my credit card for an online transaction I used to pay it straight away so I didn't overspend during the month

Now I buy everything on my credit card and pay in one instalment at the end of the month. I withdraw a large amount of cash at the start of the month to keep me going on lunches etc. I leave all my money in my current account now to avoid the fee for moving it from my savings account.

I really miss free banking as I was in so much more control of my money. I find with cash in my wallet now I tend to spend more on impulse buys. I also worry more about my wallet being snatched as I stand to lose more money.

I did the maths though and I would earn €55 interest on the €3000 (2.75% - 33% DIRT) in my rabodirect account. My AIB fees have come down to nearly a tenner since I changed my banking so I am better off just leaving €3k in my savings.

Rang AIB to ask for a credit card statement for the past 6 months.

The girl with the very snotty attitude informed me that there would be a €4 charge. I thought €4 ok thats feasible. I told her that was fine.
    She then said that it was €24 altogether......€4 per each monthly statement. How can it cost so much for someone to print off a few pages and stick them in the post?

Between this and the bank charges I think AIB have burned their bridges with me.

Is anyone using Rabodirect?
    Are they a good alternative?

Just read here in an earlier post that Rabo dont provide ATM card or direct debit facilities. Is this still true?

Are there other banks out there that offer free banking at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,641 ✭✭✭✭28064212

TheTorment wrote: »
    The girl with the very snotty attitude informed me that there would be a €4 charge. I thought €4 ok thats feasible. I told her that was fine.
    She then said that it was €24 altogether......€4 per each monthly statement.
    Is anyone using Rabodirect?
    Are they a good alternative?

Just read here in an earlier post that Rabo dont provide ATM card or direct debit facilities. Is this still true?
    Rabo don't have a current account, only a savings account, so not an alternative
    Are there other banks out there that offer free banking at all?
    Ulster Bank are the only ones, and they're widely expected to introduce fees in the Summer. They probably would have already if not for the disaster they had last year.

I believe it's relatively easy to meet the criteria for free banking in Permanent TSB, not certain on that though

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Dankse Bank do Laser cards and current accounts/direct debits. Also you lodge the money into your account at the post office.

• Advertisement
Advertisement