Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in apartment!

Options
  • 05-09-2012 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Was packing for a weekend away last week when noticed some of my shoes and a couple of items of clothing had started growing mould inside my sliding wardrobe.

The apartment sometimes seems a bit damp in the morning time, dont really run the heaters in the summer as they are storage heaters and cost quite a bit to use.

Should I contact the landlord and let them know? What steps should I take and what kind of resolution can I expect?

this is my first real home so not really well informed on the process etc.

thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Tefral

You drying clothes inside the house?

Mould comes from incorrect ventilation and dampness, so you have a problem with both. Correct ventilation would solve alot of your problem.

Check the litte drain holes around the windows arent blocked and always have fresh air circulating.

I would notify the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

You can buy things like dehumidifiers and water-absorbing crystals to tacke the moisture/dampness problem. However, I would try to establish the source/cause of the water first and elmimate that before doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

cronin_j wrote: »
    You drying clothes inside the house?

I dry clothes on a horse in the living room no where near the bedroom though.

I will contact the landlord, and also have a de hum at the moment so will put it on for a day or so.

Will vent out the place this evening and have a look for any dampness.

Thanks for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You need to air a living space (unless the property has an air exchanging system, which would be fairly common in the US but not at all common anywhere in Europe).

The only way to do this is to open the windows when you get out of bed. In Germany it's recommended to open the windows wide for 10 mins during the winter and just to leave them half open during the summer.

The building can absorb a certain amount of moisture from the air but must be able to release that back into the air and that can only happen (without dampness developing) if the property is being aired properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

srumball wrote: »
    I dry clothes on a horse in the living room no where near the bedroom though.

I will contact the landlord, and also have a de hum at the moment so will put it on for a day or so.

Will vent out the place this evening and have a look for any dampness.

Thanks for the help guys

Consider where this moisture goes. It will not stay in one room, it becomes part of the atmosphere of your home. You need to stop doing this, and you need to ventilate properly - open windows and vents. This is standard good practise wherever you live, even if you don't dry clothes indoors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement