Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foundation

• 05-09-2012 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

I find half way through the day my foundation has disappeared off my face :cool: I use Max Factor Colour Adapt, good coverage but wears off quite easily I find what with walking, heat etc. A friend suggested using hairspray :eek: I see women whose makeup looks great all day long! Anyone else have this prob with foundation or what do you guys do to achieve good coverage all day?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

I wouldn't use hairspray ! Maybe try a primer or a pressed powder, but used it with a puff rather than a big fluffy brush, and try pat the powder on. Good Luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

what really works is dusting on foundation powder of your choice, after you blend in your liquid foundation just dust on one that works well with your foundation,i have even dusted on johnsons baby powder for a whiter appearance!!it soaks up the moisture and all that so it gives your make up a longer,fresher appearance,it does last all day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I'd recommend using a primer too, it keeps the foundation on longer. And definitely don't use hairspray, it's crazy how many people keep recommending that. :eek: There are sprays and mists that are meant for sealing the make up so maybe you could try one of those. I think MAC and Urban Decay have them anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I would also recommend using a primer, also make you could get some samples of long wear makeup, lancome and Estee lauder among lots of others does this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭head_honcho

Complete primer newbie here, who does a good affordable one and where can I get it? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Lumi is a good one,its a bit on the expensive side though,try superdrug for cheaper primers there always good for cheap make ups especiallly in the miss sporty range and mua and all that,im sure you will find one there that is of reasoanble value..

I would try foundation powder though,as some primers(i have had experience of this)can congeal with your foundation and come up all lumpy and streaky,so you have to make sure the primer matches the foundation,its better to go for matching primer and foundation brands if that is the case..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I think (now I am no expert) that it depends if your skin is oily, dry or combo,

Also some primers have a SPF in it, one reasonable priced primer that is quiet popular is Avon Magix Face Perfector, also Estee Lauder Matte Perfecting Primer is good for oily skin and Benefit soes a really good one also that I use quiet often.

Hope this is of some help:-)

I am clueless with makeup so thanks for all the helpful answers everyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭xDramaxQueenx

GOSH do a really nice primer, fantastic product. You must set your foundation with a setting powder too, and you can use a mist such as MAC fix+ to finish it off. Hairspray? I wouldn't personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

I used to use that L'Oreal primer but I've ran out and it's pretty expensive so although I did like it I'm looking for a new one at the moment! I tried that GOSH primer the other day and it seems good. The Maybelline primer isn't great. A lot of people like that Smashbox primer but I've never tried it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭vibrantblue

What makes the biggest difference for me is to use a setting powder. For a day time look, I use a skunk brush to apply. For a longer lasting look, I use a powder brush. With both of these brushes, I always pat, never swirl. If you swirl, you swirl off and move the foundation and all your concealing work. If you want it to last during a night of dancing, warm pubs, etc., I'd go for a powder puff.

Second thing would be using a primer as above.

And third is to use a setting spray. Urban Decay has some nice ones as I know. But these usually contain alcohol and not very good for sensitive skin. So, I'm not particularly a fan of them. But it's up to you and your skin. You can use something like MAC Fix +. But despite the name, what it really does is minimising the powdery look and refreshing your make up, rather than setting it and making it last longer. Still, if you're new to make-up or using powder, there's a good chance you accidentally apply too much powder and need these. I think MAC Fix + is over priced for what it is. There are recipes online to make your own Fix + or you can use a thermal water spray from Avene, La Roche Posay, etc.

I have always found that max factor wears off very easily. Instead of messing with hairspray on your face, try a different foundation. In the meantime, you need primer & finishing powder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

+ 1 on the Gosh primer and the L'oreal studio secrets primer too :) and also a cheap alternative you could try out would be the Catrice primer, similar enough to the L'oreal one but only about 4 or 5 euro. And for powder i wouldn't be too fussy, my skins quite dry so i don't need much, i have the Mac Mineralize Skin Finish one and it's nice, but Rimmel and Borjouis do good cheaper alternatives too. I'd also agree with trying a long wearing foundation, such as Revlon Colourstay or Estee lauder Double Wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

bought loads of this when in the states. You can order it on line to.

Would highly recommend it

http://www.sephora.com/mist-fix-P169813

Thanks again everyone! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭cocokay

estee lauder double wear is brilliant, i have really oily skin & its the only one that lasts on me! its about 38 euros but so worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Firstly, check that the foundation is suitable for your skin type. Then you can look into using a primer.

For a finishing powder, get a translucent loose powder. The brand doesn't really matter. I say translucent as a coloured powder may cause a 'caked' look. And as previous posters have advised, pat/dab on with a brush or puff, don't swirl.

I wouldn't be into any of this finishing spray nonsense!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

I switched to cream to powder foundation and will never look back. Will never use liquid again.

I switched to cream to powder foundation and will never look back. Will never use liquid again.

what brand do you use/recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

what brand do you use/recommend?

Benefit play sticks are in my opinion the absolute best but right now I'm using the Sleek one. It's quite similar so it's a good budget dupe and it stays on me all day!

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, so many suggestions now, am spoilt for choice! :)

Advertisement