Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Settle a bet...

• 05-09-2012 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

Can Sunderland's Connor Wickham play for Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No.

His father is from Northern Ireland as are two of his grandparent's so Northern Ireland would have been the only other country he could play for other than England

His mother and her parents are English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Isn't his Father from the North ?

Never mind Kess edited his post

Isn't his Father from the North ?

Never mind Kess edited his post

Had to as I was mixing him up with another youngster that had a Northern Ireland connection through his grandfather.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Through the Good Friday agreement any player eligible up North is eligible down south. When applying for the Northern Ireland passport he has the option of getting a ROI and thus is eligible for us.

That was my understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Kess73 wrote: »
    No.

His father is from Northern Ireland as are two of his grandparent's so Northern Ireland would have been the only other country he could play for other than England

His mother and her parents are English.

And anyone with this lineage (grandparents born on the island of Ireland) is AFAIK entitled to Irish citizenship. Alex Bruce was toying of whether to go republic or north, he was eligible for both this way I think. The IFA dont seem to chase after English born players with the same effort we do.

Another odd one is that anyone born outside of the UK to British parents can play for any of the home nations, even if both parents and all grandparents are from within England. Maik Taylor of N.I has no Northern family, he was born in Germany to English parents and was therefore eligible. IIRC Owen Hargreaves was born in Canaa of Welsh parents but still made the England squad. Odd stuff!

• Advertisement

And anyone with this lineage (grandparents born on the island of Ireland) is AFAIK entitled to Irish citizenship. Alex Bruce was toying of whether to go republic or north, he was eligible for both this way I think. The IFA dont seem to chase after English born players with the same effort we do.

Another odd one is that anyone born outside of the UK to British parents can play for any of the home nations, even if both parents and all grandparents are from within England. Maik Taylor of N.I has no Northern family, he was born in Germany to English parents and was therefore eligible. IIRC Owen Hargreaves was born in Canaa of Welsh parents but still made the England squad. Odd stuff!

Did not know that. Does that mean anyone born in Ireland can declare for either Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Did not know that. Does that mean anyone born in Ireland can declare for either Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland?

Born in the north you can play for either. Doesn't work the other way around.

No. To play for NI would mean being a British citizen. A British passport is only available to Republic of Ireland born people with at least one grandparent born in present day N.I as far as I know.

And while we are on the subject of eligibility I still cannot get over how many people still swear blind that Wayne Rooney could have played for us!

Actually, how long have we been taking Northern players? I am fairly sure that we have been issung passports to Northern nationalists since before the GF agreement yet it is only in the last four or five years that this controversy of alledged player poaching has come about. I cant off the top of my head recall any Nordies in our squads but surely there were some?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No. To play for NI would mean being a British citizen. A British passport is only available to Republic of Ireland born people with at least one grandparent born in present day N.I as far as I know.

And while we are on the subject of eligibility I still cannot get over how many people still swear blind that Wayne Rooney could have played for us!

Actually, how long have we been taking Northern players? I am fairly sure that we have been issung passports to Northern nationalists since before the GF agreement yet it is only in the last four or five years that this controversy of alledged player poaching has come about. I cant off the top of my head recall any Nordies in our squads but surely there were some?
    Is Rooney's grandmother not Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

She's Irish, in that her parents came from Ireland and she considers herself Irish, but I believe she was born in England and legally only has English citizenship. Patricia Fitzsimons I think her name is.

• Advertisement

No. He states at the start of his book he is mainly of Irish descent, but not with any recent, living ancestors.

Half of Ireand did, and some still do, consider his poaching by England to be an awful tragedy even though we never could have had him to begin with.

I think his son is eligible funnily enough :pac:

That's mad.

So given that I was born in Ireland, but am a British Citizen (family moved back to Liverpool when I was knee high) as well as having German citizenship, I have an Irish parent, an english parent, and my grandparents were Irish, Danish, and English.

Does that mean in footy terms I could play for Ireland, N. Ireland, Wales, England, Scotland, Germany, and Denmark? :D

That's mad.

So given that I was born in Ireland, but am a British Citizen (family moved back to Liverpool when I was knee high) as well as having German citizenship, I have an Irish parent, an english parent, and my grandparents were Irish, Danish, and English.

Does that mean in footy terms I could play for Ireland, N. Ireland, Wales, England, Scotland, Germany, and Denmark? :D

Fcuking hell indeed it does!

I knew a girl back home who if she had a kid he would be eligible for the Rep, N. Ireland, all the UK nations, India and Canada!

That is you and her tied on seven, anyone do better? :pac:

IIRC Stephen Irelands dad is English born, meaning when he was whoring himself as to whether Italy, England or ROI would bite first he could have included Wales, Scotland and N.I in it.

Out of curiousity how do you have German citizenship? I cant recall who it was now but I think we had a one cap player who got it through his English born wife who had an Irish passport. That is some major straw clutching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Right well looks like I've lost the bet! I'll only pay him once Connor Wickham tweets me back confirming this ;)

I knew a girl back home who if she had a kid he would be eligible for the Rep, N. Ireland, all the UK nations, India and Canada!

IIRC Stephen Irelands dad is English born, meaning when he was whoring himself as to whether Italy, England or ROI would bite first he could have included Wales, Scotland and N.I in it.

Out of curiousity how do you have German citizenship? I cant recall who it was now but I think we had a one cap player who got it through his English born wife who had an Irish passport. That is some major straw clutching.

Through naturalisation. Lived/worked there and eventually met the criteria needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats just greed. I can only choose between Ireland and Germany.:o

I had actualy half though of trying to get an international Rugby cap with Germany. Must look in to it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Paul Butler, Wolves Center half

Thats just greed. I can only choose between Ireland and Germany.:o

I had actualy half though of trying to get an international Rugby cap with Germany. Must look in to it. :)

I've randomly day dreamed of being born in the likes of San Marino or Lichtenstein and being eligible to play for them in football. They would definitely call you up no matter how sh1t you are, getting to play for them against the big teams and obviously most important thing, getting a free tracksuit out of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United had quite few players who could have played for Ireland

Ferdinand, Carrick, Fletcher, Scholes and Rooney.

United had quite few players who could have played for Ireland

......and Rooney.

I have no facepalms left :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Alan Kernaghan played schoolboys for NI I think, but chose to play for ROI. I think he meets your criteria, but it was a while ago and I can't be arsed to check ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

No. He states at the start of his book he is mainly of Irish descent, but not with any recent, living ancestors.

Half of Ireand did, and some still do, consider his poaching by England to be an awful tragedy even though we never could have had him to begin with.

I think his son is eligible funnily enough :pac:
    In an earlier version of Champo manager (01/02 i reckon) he was eligible to be called up to the Irish squad, it used to be a desperate race to be offered the Irish job to get him before he was called up by England!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I have no facepalms left :eek:

4127992813_91c0640808.jpg

"Uruguayan footballer and World Cup player Diego Forlan is claimed to be of Irish descent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Uruguayan

nbar12 wrote: »
    "Uruguayan footballer and World Cup player Diego Forlan is claimed to be of Irish descent."

Could you imagine if we had Rooney and Forlan up front?

Id say we would have a different Euro expirence with them

As long as Trap didnt decide that they did not fit his system and left them out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I've randomly day dreamed of being born in the likes of San Marino or Lichtenstein and being eligible to play for them in football. They would definitely call you up no matter how sh1t you are, getting to play for them against the big teams and obviously most important thing, getting a free tracksuit out of them!

I have a friend from Liechtenstein who played in the Swiss lower-leagues. One day he mentioned to us that he played under-21's for Liechtenstein (I met him on a language course in Spain so the football thing didn't come up that much). We were all very impressed, until he said, 'Well really if you just tell them you're interested, they'll give you a go'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i remember listening to a report from argentina on radio 1 about something completely different, nothing to do with football, and the locals were speaking broken english with very strong offaly accents! that's going back to the mid 1800s though, so can't go poaching there now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

5starpool wrote: »
    Alan Kernaghan played schoolboys for NI I think, but chose to play for ROI. I think he meets your criteria, but it was a while ago and I can't be arsed to check ;)

I think both Kernaghan and McAteer used the same route to play for ROI

In their case they had a grandparent born on the island of Ireland (both in what is now NI) prior to partition in 1922, thus allowing them to play for either NI or ROI

Mercenaries of the highest order IMO.

In their case they had a grandparent born on the island of Ireland (both in what is now NI) prior to partition in 1922, thus allowing them to play for either NI or ROI

McAteer had family from Limerick

• Advertisement

What I meant was did we have any NI born and raised lads who declared for us before the recent young lads and all the controversy surrounding them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Didn't Wayne Rooney's brother say he wanted to play for Ireland a few years ago?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Didn't Wayne Rooney's brother say he wanted to play for Ireland a few years ago?

Cousin I think.

I think Gerrards cousin at Cardiff is eligible le as well?

Dj Stiggie wrote: »
    I have a friend from Liechtenstein who played in the Swiss lower-leagues. One day he mentioned to us that he played under-21's for Liechtenstein (I met him on a language course in Spain so the football thing didn't come up that much). We were all very impressed, until he said, 'Well really if you just tell them you're interested, they'll give you a go'.

haha no way that's class, could you imagine having that on your CV

Rooneys younger brother john wants to play for Ireland
    He plays for New York Red Bulls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rooney_(footballer)

Sin City wrote: »

Source ?

I recall when McAteer joined ROI the reason he qualified was as I described in my earlier post.

I cannot find a news article from the time but here are some links to other forms where posters have said the same

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/24966-06-ulster-players-opt-republic.html

http://foot.ie/archive/index.php/t-14043-p-2.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭bren2001

Rooneys younger brother john wants to play for Ireland
    He plays for New York Red Bulls

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rooney_(footballer)

Get Trap on the phone, 2 minutes against Kzachstan is all he needs.

Don't really get to watch the MLS, is he any good? Strange that his brother plays for England yet he wants to declare for us.

Source ?

I recall when McAteer joined ROI the reason he qualified was as I described in my earlier post.

I cannot find a new article from the time but here is a link to someone who seems to believe the same on another form

http://www.politics.ie/forum/northern-ireland/24966-06-ulster-players-opt-republic.html

Im looking for a source and a lot is scare at the moment

Im recall reading about it years ago

Also recenlty (Im ashamed to say its a source but........) a certain newspaper did the counties of Ireland and which players hailed from where and Limerick had Mcateer, Houghton and Finnan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

The IFA dont seem to chase after English born players with the same effort we do.

The four UK Associations have a Gentleman's Agreement that they won't pursue players born in one of the other three countries unless the player is clearly not in the plans of the other FA.

Cousin I think.

I think Gerrards cousin at Cardiff is eligible le as well?

Rio Ferdinand's cousin Kane has had a few call-ups to the Irish U19s as well.

• Advertisement

My mistake Rooney plays for Orlando Pirates now not Red Bulls

bren2001 wrote: »
    Strange that his brother plays for England yet he wants to declare for us.

Strange but not unprecidented. Kevin-Prince Boateng (Ghana) and Jerome Boateng (Germany) being the most famous example. Tesfaye Bramble played international football for Monserraat despite his brother Titus Bramble being involved in several England U21 games.

I wouldn't get too excited though - Rooney's brother is pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Can Sunderland's Connor Wickham play for Ireland?

Yes, he has a parent and Grandparent from NI, so he can apply for Irish citizenship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i know someone who declared for england going the other way to get further in his sport, as ireland didn't have a team to suit him. won a commonwealth gold medal too.

mcateer's grandfather was from galway, according to the interview he gave to newstalk before the euros.

i know someone who declared for england going the other way to get further in his sport, as ireland didn't have a team to suit him. won a commonwealth gold medal too.

mcateer's grandfather was from galway, according to the interview he gave to newstalk before the euros.

Its a real minefield now, Galway , Limerick (Iread Derry a while ago) and Fr Tod thinks NI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

bren2001 wrote: »
    Strange that his brother plays for England yet he wants to declare for us.

Kevin Prince Boateng plays for Ghana, his brother Jerome plays for Germany :p

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Strange but not unprecidented. Kevin-Prince Boateng (Ghana) and Jerome Boateng (Germany) being the most famous example. Tesfaye Bramble played international football for Monserraat despite his brother Titus Bramble being involved in several England U21 games.

I wouldn't get too excited though - Rooney's brother is pants.

Closer to home the Gallen brothers from the early 1990s is an example.

They were all on the books of QPR, Kevin declared for England and I think two of his brothers for Ireland, Joe and Stephen.

None made an impression as it turned out

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

That reminds me of that Uruguayan player from the early 00's who played for Juventus, the exoticly named Fabian O'Neill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabi%C3%A1n_O%27Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

By state, I presume you mean drew a picture with crayons??:D

Advertisement