Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primer for when painting window sills ?

• 05-09-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering if i need a primer to put on windowsills, if so what one ? they were painted naked with emulsion and are in need of a good job done now.

Is there a primer that i can put on now after they've been sanded and cleaned which will stop the paint washing away and flaking ?

I was going to use white emulsion again but would be prepared to use gloss paint as a topcoat if i thought it would stop them looking filthy and old so quick.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Jaysus, where are ya when I need you eh !!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Would you not trying using an undercoat and the maybe satin wood as. Finish emulsion isn't the ans it's the problem.

In my opinion

Would you not trying using an undercoat and the maybe satin wood as. Finish emulsion isn't the ans it's the problem.

In my opinion

Cheers. like an oil based emulsion ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

step away from the paint brush, paddy147 will be here soon:D

ronan45 wrote: »

Am going with the undercoat and see....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

ronan45 wrote: »

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I think you need to use an alkali resisting primer like sealapore from Dulux. When regular waterbased paints are applied to concrete it can blister, lift and flake over time due to the presence of alkalis (cement basically) in the concrete. Water causes the alkalis to leach through and consequently destroys the paint finish. You would need to scrape back as much of the loose paint as possible before priming. Once primes you should be good to go with any paint of your choice. I've used Sealapore on exposed concrete and render (plinths and cills) and no problems with paint lifting.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

uni bond mixed with the paint is usually the job but I'm not sure how well that'll go considering you're bonding it to the paint that's already on it and flaking unless you're planning on taking it all off :eek:

Thanks y'all.

I scraped and sanded back to as much as I could.

There was only ever emulsion put on straight to the concrete cill therein lies the problem.

I've put an undercoat (oil based) on now and will top coat it tomorrow (probably gloss), hopefully that does the trick. Cheers

Advertisement