Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why buy a big bike and not use it??

• 05-09-2012 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭

What is it with f**k-wits buying a big bike, simply because they can afford it??? Why buy a 1000cc bike (if not bigger) and not use it the way it’s supposed to be, or be afraid of it?? Commuting is boring and mundane at the best of times. Some days I meet lads on bikes when I’m coming into work or going home and we have a bit of fun. Usually it’s the same lads. Nothing stupid, nothing reckless or dangerous, just a bit of dicing to take the monotony away.

This morning when I was coming in to work, I seen a bike in the distance. I thought to myself “nice one, I’ll catch up to this lad and have a bit of skit, take the boredom away…” Anyway, I caught up to him. It was a BIG bike and I didn’t recognise the guy. “Cool” I thought, “a new friend to play with” LOL. I never go around another bike until I know he has seen me in his mirrors. He looked, saw me, and just stayed as he was. When he caught up to a line of cars, he just sat there! “Em, hello? If you’re gonna sit behind a line of slow moving cars, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike!!” :rolleyes:

Anyway, now and again he’d bolt and I’d go after him. Then he’d slow down when he caught more traffic and just sat behind them. This went on for a couple of miles and I was losing time so I just bolted when I knew he wouldn’t. In fairness, he acknowledged me and waved as I went by. I went by a line of cars and round a bend. Looked in the mirror (as I do) and nothing. There was no sign of him. He was still sitting behind the line of cars.

So what’s the point? Why not just get a car and travel in warmth while listening to the wireless and sipping a coffee while talking on the phone and plucking your eyebrows at the same time like every other road user!!?? Sorry, it’s just a waste IMHO. I don’t get it.

Rant over. :P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 297 ✭✭SaoriseBiker

What is it with f**k-wits buying a big bike, simply because they can afford it??? Why buy a 1000cc bike (if not bigger) and not use it the way it’s supposed to be, or be afraid of it?? Commuting is boring and mundane at the best of times. Some days I meet lads on bikes when I’m coming into work or going home and we have a bit of fun. Usually it’s the same lads. Nothing stupid, nothing reckless or dangerous, just a bit of dicing to take the monotony away.

This morning when I was coming in to work, I seen a bike in the distance. I thought to myself “nice one, I’ll catch up to this lad and have a bit of skit, take the boredom away…” Anyway, I caught up to him. It was a BIG bike and I didn’t recognise the guy. “Cool” I thought, “a new friend to play with” LOL. I never go around another bike until I know he has seen me in his mirrors. He looked, saw me, and just stayed as he was. When he caught up to a line of cars, he just sat there! “Em, hello? If you’re gonna sit behind a line of slow moving cars, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike!!” :rolleyes:

Anyway, now and again he’d bolt and I’d go after him. Then he’d slow down when he caught more traffic and just sat behind them. This went on for a couple of miles and I was losing time so I just bolted when I knew he wouldn’t. In fairness, he acknowledged me and waved as I went by. I went by a line of cars and round a bend. Looked in the mirror (as I do) and nothing. There was no sign of him. He was still sitting behind the line of cars.

So what’s the point? Why not just get a car and travel in warmth while listening to the wireless and sipping a coffee while talking on the phone and plucking your eyebrows at the same time like every other road user!!?? Sorry, it’s just a waste IMHO. I don’t get it.

Often thought the same myself, I suppose if they have the money it's a case of a big toy for a big boy. The next time you see some Harley Owners, try taking a look at the mileometer which in most cases you'll see it's covered over as they don't want anyone to see there's f**k all mileage on it. Still rather have me vandalized, battered Superfour than be a feckin' yuppie on a Harley :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,099 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Everyones different ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

listermint wrote: »
    Everyones different ?

Ah I know that. Live and let live and all that. It just bugs me. I'm easily annoyed! :P :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Ah I know that. Live and let live and all that. It just bugs me. I'm easily annoyed! :P :D

And clearly poor....................:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Maybe he was just tired and not up for it on that particular morning. If you meet him again and he behaves in the same way, then maybe you're on to something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I don't think you're warranted to call "them" f**k-wits ;) ... It sounds to me like he does everything you do, except doesn't bother to filter (today). There could be many reasons. Sometimes I just don't bother if it's a nice day and I'm in no rush.

Everyones different and gets enjoyment/use out of their bikes in different ways. There's nothing wrong with someone buying something just because they can afford it. Although, that is purely an assumption on your part (he might call you a prejudice presumptuous f**k-wit :))...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Maybe he couldnt be bothered? You can't go flat out on even a 600cc bike most of the time on the road so why doesnt everyone just have 250s?? And even then you would only be using it fully in a straight line, not around corners - as you would be dead in a week if you were.

In all honesty 1000cc bikes are wasted on pretty much everybody on the road unless you are a road racer or a straight line hero twat. You might think you are going fast, but relative to somebody on track racing one - you arent!

That's my rant - what bothers me is seeing people on 1000cc bikes full of expensive mods with 40 inch chicken strips and the sportiest tyre they can buy :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

Why buy a 1000cc bike (if not bigger) and not use it the way it’s supposed to be, or be afraid of it??

So the rest of us can buy nice big cheap, low mileage, underused bikes in a few years time?

And clearly poor....................:D

Very much so!! :D
    batman_oh wrote: »
    what bothers me is seeing people on 1000cc bikes full of expensive mods with 40 inch chicken strips and the sportiest tyre they can buy :P

Jaysus don't even get me started on that!!! :pac:
    carsQhere wrote: »
    So the rest of us can buy nice big cheap, low mileage, underused bikes in a few years time?

Ah, that's what it is. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

A lot of the time I think people move up the CCs too quick and end up afraid of the power when they get the big bike they want.

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    A lot of the time I think people move up the CCs too quick and end up afraid of the power when they get the big bike they want.

Maybe? I know when I went from the 600 to the 900, I didn't think there'd be much of a difference. There were plenty of brown trouser moments in the first week I tells ya! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

batman_oh wrote: »
    Maybe he couldnt be bothered? You can't go flat out on even a 600cc bike most of the time on the road so why doesnt everyone just have 250s?? And even then you would only be using it fully in a straight line, not around corners - as you would be dead in a week if you were.

In all honesty 1000cc bikes are wasted on pretty much everybody on the road unless you are a road racer or a straight line hero twat. You might think you are going fast, but relative to somebody on track racing one - you arent!

That's my rant - what bothers me is seeing people on 1000cc bikes full of expensive mods with 40 inch chicken strips and the sportiest tyre they can buy :P

Ya wouldnt like to see my chicken strips on the blade most of the time then, normally wider than an airport runway cos i mainly only use it for a short spin down and back to work.
    Ya wouldnt think they were the same tyres though after I get out for a proper spin although they dont come close to yours on the r1:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

kkhornet wrote: »
    Ya wouldnt like to see my chicken strips on the blade most of the time then, normally wider than an airport runway cos i mainly only use it for a short spin down and back to work.
    Ya wouldnt think they were the same tyres though after I get out for a proper spin although they dont come close to yours on the r1:D

If you are using the bike for work then youd be doing well getting rid of them anyway! What i meant was people who have mad expensive mods - suspension, brakes etc and engine tuning done and run trackday/fast road tyres and never use the bike for anything other than going straight or commuting :pac::pac:
    Remember a guy who had an r1 with more crap stuck to it than mine and he went around corners like a kid learning how to go on a bicycle :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Guys with big bikes , damn them handsome devils !!

KTRIC wrote: »
    Guys with big bikes , damn them handsome devils !!

LMFAO!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Snooze1

Not everyone is going to be up for a bit of a dice.....not everyone rides the same.....and yes you are VERY easily annoyed :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

All that ranting and not even a mention of the make and model of "1000cc" bike.

I think there is no need to call the chap a name,because he decided to sit in a line of traffic.

Money or no money,and regardless of how big the bike was/is,he has every right to sit in a line of traffic,if he so chooses to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Different strokes and all that. I've been riding for nearly a year now. 250cc sports bike. And I'm still not comfortable filtering on a bike that size. At the end of the day, if he's just out for a spin and taking it handy, or getting used to bikes after an absence, or whatever the reason, if he doesn't want to filter or isn't comfortable doing it, let him sit in traffic. What harm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Different strokes and all that. I've been riding for nearly a year now. 250cc sports bike. And I'm still not comfortable filtering on a bike that size. At the end of the day, if he's just out for a spin and taking it handy, or getting used to bikes after an absence, or whatever the reason, if he doesn't want to filter or isn't comfortable doing it, let him sit in traffic. What harm.

Exactly, who cares what he does OP. If he's happy to ride like that then hats off to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's impossible to drive a litre sports bike the way it was designed to be ridden on the public roads. You'd be dead within a mile
    Although I do know some idiots on big bikes that really don't deserve them. One guy had a haybusa, got every fancy extra you could dream of. Shocks, wheels, entire exhaust system and more all on a brand new bike. And the longest spin he'd go on it would be 20km round trip. And he drove it like a granny drives a micra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Why buy a 1000cc and not drive it 186mph everywhere so? I know a few chunky women I can ride just by texting them saying I'm up for it. Just cos I can doesn't mean I should do it . ;)

Sometimes I stay in traffic just so cagers can see how cool looking I am. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's impossible to drive a litre sports bike the way it was designed to be ridden on the public roads. You'd be dead within a mile
    Although I do know some idiots on big bikes that really don't deserve them. One guy had a haybusa, got every fancy extra you could dream of. Shocks, wheels, entire exhaust system and more all on a brand new bike. And the longest spin he'd go on it would be 20km round trip. And he drove it like a granny drives a micra.

Is he happy driving it the way he wants it and has it set up? Why doesn't he deserve his bike?
    Not griping at you but just giving my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The way things are at the minute maybe he just robbed the fookin thing and did not want to draw attention to himself on the "Gettaway"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Is he happy driving it the way he wants it and has it set up? Why doesn't he deserve his bike?

No one said he doesn't deserve it. But why have such a high-end bike which costs a lot of money to buy, run, maintain and insure when a 250 would suffice for what you need? It's a bit overkill to pay so much to not use the features that you are paying so much for.

It's his money to spend, but he could be more economical rather than getting it for what is presumably for show.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

I have a blackbird and a 1000rr and most days I ride them on fairly swiftly but if I'm hungover in my helmet I drive like a car!
    Feck it's too much effort if your head is pounding!

Maybe he has had a bad off due to filtering?
    Who knows?

He may be able to drive the wheels off the thing but decides to take the commute easy for fear of easily picking up licence points?

I don't do knee down on the road, save that for the track.
    But I could keep up with most lads and still have chicken strips, maximum leans doesn't always mean your faster through a corner!

Anyway we all know 1000cc bikes are just for 10 mile wheelies!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

dad has a huge bike because he is very light and its much steadier

Snooze1 wrote: »
    Not everyone is going to be up for a bit of a dice.....not everyone rides the same.....and yes you are VERY easily annoyed :p

Feck off! LOL
    paddy147 wrote: »
    All that ranting and not even a mention of the make and model of "1000cc" bike.

No, I don't want to single it out as it could be seen that I have something against this kind of rider.

*cough, cough* BMW *cough* :pac:
    Faith+1 wrote: »
    Exactly, who cares what he does OP. If he's happy to ride like that then hats off to him.

Ah f**k it. I'm over it now. I was in a rush, he was in my way, I was just venting.
    I know a few chunky women I can ride just by texting them saying I'm up for it. Just cos I can doesn't mean I should do it . ;)

AHH-HAHAHAHAHAHA :pac:
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    The way things are at the minute maybe he just robbed the fookin thing and did not want to draw attention to himself on the "Gettaway"

LOL - more than likely!! :D
    skapegoat wrote: »
    Maybe he has had a bad off due to filtering?
    Who knows?

Actually, never thought of that. It's quite possible and he's stil a bit nervous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

bikes are dangerous enough to be driving like a lunatic. Go to a track if you want to race

NinjaK wrote: »
    bikes are dangerous enough to be driving like a lunatic. Go to a track if you want to race

I do. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He's happy owning it and telling people he owns it, he's not happy driving it. His spin on the bike consists of driving 10km up a straight road at about 80kph, turning around and coming back again!
    He went through about 5 bikes, I'd say the happiest people are the ones who brought a mint second hand bike off him with fúck all miles and every top of the range extra.

Advertisement