Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why buy a big bike and not use it??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

*cough, cough* BMW *cough* :pac:

LOL ahh now it all makes sense :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

This very thread popped into my mind yesterday when I was stopped in a queue of cars, not so subtly staring at a lovely looking lady standing in her front garden, having a chat: - with me refusing to filter any further...

I agree with all the above. In addition, I remember the last bike I had; had an awful turning circle, so if I mis-judged distances, or was daydreaming and ended up too close to the stopped car in front of me in a queue, I often found myself saying "ah, I'm grand here", and didn't bother trying to maneuver out again.

Each to their own really!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Cienciano wrote: »
    He's happy owning it and telling people he owns it, he's not happy driving it. His spin on the bike consists of driving 10km up a straight road at about 80kph, turning around and coming back again!
    He went through about 5 bikes, I'd say the happiest people are the ones who brought a mint second hand bike off him with fúck all miles and every top of the range extra.

is this him???:pac::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BBBMmUk_B8&playnext=1&list=PL60EBEFA8D05A27D5&feature=results_main

I filter most of the time, however, there are times when I am more than happy to just sit in queue and do some people watching for my amusement or I just couldn’t be bothered for no particular reason. I won’t ride the bike if I am not feeling well or if I have a hangover, its dangerous enough as it is when you have your full concentration!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Plenty of reasons to not to filter like crazy all the time - I've been "doing" the M1 for about a year and half now day in day out, only a restricted 600 mind, and while I do filter a lot, some times I just sit back because I would have developed some intuition about certain type of drivers, and sometimes I sense danger just by looking at some of the cars ahead are moving on the road. Some parts of M1 could also be better taken in the center of the lane - for instance Lissenhall junction joining M1 southbound, Ballbriggan exit heading North etc - brings the worst out of drivers for whatever reason. Lately I am a bit more careful because my rear tyre is nearly at it's limit - and I have had a few cases of the bike snaking (if that's a term) under me when attempting to stop hard. I also stay behind traffic going thru Julianstown etc where the roads are fairly narrow and there are tiny kids walking around - I don't want to scare or upset anyone really.

Now even if you drive like car, parking is free and right outside the door - so that's the other benefit. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

positron wrote: »
    I also stay behind traffic going thru Julianstown etc where the roads are fairly narrow and there are tiny kids walking around - I don't want to scare or upset anyone really.

Ah well going through somewhere like Julianstown or Dunshaughlin or Dunboyne, ya don't have a choice but to sit behind the traffic. But I was talking about a big open road.

I don't want to scare or upset anyone either, but it happens every time I take off the helmet!! :(:o :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What is it with f**k-wits buying a big bike, simply because they can afford it??? Why buy a 1000cc bike (if not bigger) and not use it the way it’s supposed to be, or be afraid of it?? Commuting is boring and mundane at the best of times. Some days I meet lads on bikes when I’m coming into work or going home and we have a bit of fun. Usually it’s the same lads. Nothing stupid, nothing reckless or dangerous, just a bit of dicing to take the monotony away.

This morning when I was coming in to work, I seen a bike in the distance. I thought to myself “nice one, I’ll catch up to this lad and have a bit of skit, take the boredom away…” Anyway, I caught up to him. It was a BIG bike and I didn’t recognise the guy. “Cool” I thought, “a new friend to play with” LOL. I never go around another bike until I know he has seen me in his mirrors. He looked, saw me, and just stayed as he was. When he caught up to a line of cars, he just sat there! “Em, hello? If you’re gonna sit behind a line of slow moving cars, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike!!” :rolleyes:

Anyway, now and again he’d bolt and I’d go after him. Then he’d slow down when he caught more traffic and just sat behind them. This went on for a couple of miles and I was losing time so I just bolted when I knew he wouldn’t. In fairness, he acknowledged me and waved as I went by. I went by a line of cars and round a bend. Looked in the mirror (as I do) and nothing. There was no sign of him. He was still sitting behind the line of cars.

So what’s the point? Why not just get a car and travel in warmth while listening to the wireless and sipping a coffee while talking on the phone and plucking your eyebrows at the same time like every other road user!!?? Sorry, it’s just a waste IMHO. I don’t get it.

Rant over. :P

You obviously don't get it. Or the fact that the above is a sycophantic rant.

I mean, really - I would expect more of bikers to respect ANY other biker, irrespective of type, brand, size - or anything else. Given the general BS we put up with, from legislation to EU meddling, as well as the ultimate risk we face on the road from the various sources, then it's poor form to go whinging.

As for H-Ders and other 'big bikers', I don't wash mine, I use it every day, ride it like a scooter in town, did a 500km spin the other Saturday - just because the sun was out - went for a snooze on it on the way home, in a layby near Moate on the M6 (because I was wrecked) and.........didn't pass 125km/h all day. But I suppose if you came across me that day, I was just posing too. Grow up.

There again, maybe I'm over-analysing this and it's much simpler: jealous ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

galwaytt wrote: »
    What is it with f**k-wits buying a big bike, simply because they can afford it??? Why buy a 1000cc bike (if not bigger) and not use it the way it’s supposed to be, or be afraid of it?? Commuting is boring and mundane at the best of times. Some days I meet lads on bikes when I’m coming into work or going home and we have a bit of fun. Usually it’s the same lads. Nothing stupid, nothing reckless or dangerous, just a bit of dicing to take the monotony away.

This morning when I was coming in to work, I seen a bike in the distance. I thought to myself “nice one, I’ll catch up to this lad and have a bit of skit, take the boredom away…” Anyway, I caught up to him. It was a BIG bike and I didn’t recognise the guy. “Cool” I thought, “a new friend to play with” LOL. I never go around another bike until I know he has seen me in his mirrors. He looked, saw me, and just stayed as he was. When he caught up to a line of cars, he just sat there! “Em, hello? If you’re gonna sit behind a line of slow moving cars, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike!!” :rolleyes:

Anyway, now and again he’d bolt and I’d go after him. Then he’d slow down when he caught more traffic and just sat behind them. This went on for a couple of miles and I was losing time so I just bolted when I knew he wouldn’t. In fairness, he acknowledged me and waved as I went by. I went by a line of cars and round a bend. Looked in the mirror (as I do) and nothing. There was no sign of him. He was still sitting behind the line of cars.

So what’s the point? Why not just get a car and travel in warmth while listening to the wireless and sipping a coffee while talking on the phone and plucking your eyebrows at the same time like every other road user!!?? Sorry, it’s just a waste IMHO. I don’t get it.

Rant over. :P

I mean, really - I would expect more of bikers to respect ANY other biker, irrespective of type, brand, size - or anything else. Given the general BS we put up with, from legislation to EU meddling, as well as the ultimate risk we face on the road from the various sources, then it's poor form to go whinging.

As for H-Ders and other 'big bikers', I don't wash mine, I use it every day, ride it like a scooter in town, did a 500km spin the other Saturday - just because the sun was out - went for a snooze on it on the way home, in a layby near Moate on the M6 (because I was wrecked) and.........didn't pass 125km/h all day. But I suppose if you came across me that day, I was just posing too. Grow up.

yeah maybe you're right, you're jealous of anyone with a big bike that doesn't vibrate itself apart if you go over 125KM/H :D

Yeah, yeah that's what it is. :rolleyes:

Of a BMW???? AHHHH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Em, NO!!!
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    yeah maybe you're right, you're jealous of anyone with a big bike that doesn't vibrate itself apart if you go over 125KM/H :D

LMAO!!

You might want to look up the definition for sycophantic :). There is nothing sycophantic about what he said! He was simply having a rant because he was upset that his new friend woulndn't play with him!

• Advertisement

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    You might want to look up the definition for sycophantic :). There is nothing sycophantic about what he said! He was simply having a rant because he was upset that his new friend woulndn't play with him!

Yeah.
    Sycophantic: A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people, using flattery to win favour from individuals wielding influence

Who am I supposed to be flattering? I know a lot of these lads in here personally and I have time for them all. Good blokes. But I don't have a need to flatter anybody.

Either way, like I said, I'm over it. I found another new friend on an R1 who was more than happy to oblige. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

HOOLIGANS TED THE LOT OF THEM.....HOOLIGANS!

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    HOOLIGANS TED THE LOT OF THEM.....HOOLIGANS!

LOL. Ah sure you like an oul' quick blast yourself mate, you know the story! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Actually the opposite to this thread is kind of hilarious. Chaps or ladies of course, on little bikes and they driving em around like lunatics and taken mental chances on them. Was one woman a few years back, had a tzr 50, think it was tzr but it was a 50cc bike anyways. Nothing wrong with that at all, everyone has to start somewhere. This woman was hilarious though. Out with the baffles and she redlining the bike everywhere. Gets off then, takes off lid, lights up cigarette and looks at everyone in a menacing manner. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

*cough, cough* BMW *cough* :pac:
    Hey, I drive a BMW, I'll gladly challenge you to a commute race across town. I'll even leave the side panniers on so I can carry me sliced pan home :cool:

Hey, I drive a BMW, I'll gladly challenge you to a commute race across town. I'll even leave the side panniers on so I can carry me sliced pan home :cool:

LMAO! Difference is though, you probably actually use it like it's supposed to be. You're not a McGregor or Boorman wannabe. :D

This was a K1200 though. They're a weapon. I know two lads with one and they ride them like they're supposed to. :cool:

This was a K1200 though. They're a weapon. I know two lads with one and they ride them like they're supposed to. :cool:

Yea when they're not in the garage getting the driveshaft, or ABS, or some other german sh1te technology fixed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'll gladly show you how a big bike should be driven. My drive the nuts off my GSX1400 when I get the chance :D

Big engines like that don't appreciate being babied around the place. You need to open them up every so often.

KTRIC wrote: »
    Big engines like that don't appreciate being babied around the place. You need to open them up every so often.

Yes! This is my point!!! Thank you! Someone with a f**king brain who doesn't get on their high horse!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

I'll gladly show you how a big bike should be driven. My drive the nuts off my GSX1400 when I get the chance :D

One of me mates had a 03 cbr600rr a few years back. He had to get the engine replaced twice in it. Was talking to me mate who worked in the shop at the time, he said yer man was driving the bike like a little bitch and it was killing the bike. He is back caging it nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yes! This is my point!!! Thank you! Someone with a f**king brain who doesn't get on their high horse!!!! :pac:

Highest horse around here is your original post. Calling ANY biker in profanity, or accusing anyone with more than your funnel vision, or doesn't agree with you , brainless, just 'cos you're in a Muppet mood, just makes you look the muppet, not the other guy you met.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Please Fill Me secretly wishes he had a beemer. But he knows he'll never afford one. If he's lucky maybe a C1

Please Fill Me secretly wishes he had a beemer. But he knows he'll never afford one. If he's lucky maybe a C1

I think I speak for myself and PKM when I say that you couldn't pay us to ride one of those unimaginative, boring, poorly put together, nanny state electronic laden krautmobiles!

We'll stick to real bikes, and you can stick to your two wheeled cage :)

Not if I won the lotto chief!! I'd fill the garage with jap crotch rockets and nothing else!! Blades, ZX10's, R1's.... you get the idea. :D
    I think I speak for myself and PKM when I say that you couldn't pay us to ride one of those unimaginative, boring, poorly put together, nanny state electronic laden krautmobiles!

We'll stick to real bikes, and you can stick to your two wheeled cage :)

Yep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Not if I won the lotto chief!! I'd fill the garage with jap crotch rockets and nothing else!! Blades, ZX10's, R1's.... you get the idea. :D
    You won the Lotto and you wouldn't even get something Italian? Jaysus.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    You won the Lotto and you wouldn't even get something Italian? Jaysus.

Ok, ok, you got me. I might throw in a Panigale for good measure, just to have a bit of red in there! LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Sure you can get us all one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Different strokes for different folks and all that.
    You only met him one day?? Maybe he was having a relaxing day.!!
    While I worked in Dublin I drove a number of 'Biggish' bikes. Commuted from Asbourne to the city daily and usually took it 'reasonably' handy. At least a couple of times in a fortnight I was on the road to Cork and that's where I used the power. This was before the full Motorway link so there was a lot of time to be saved. On the commute from Ashbourne I'd rarely save more than 10 minutes by hounding it, usually less, (traveled off peak a lot so no massive time savings) so therefore I was quite happy to relax and take it handy.
    The long trips were a different kettle of fish though. Hammer down all the way. IMO that's the only real justification for big bikes. Pretty useless for a commute in around a city if you ask me.
    Just to really impress the OP my last bike up there was a BMW :D
    K1100LT though, pure touring bike, ideal for the road to Cork, manageable but not great for the city.

On the subject of nerves, I was nearly crushed between a truck and a van near the Red Cow as I was filtering in slowish traffic on a VFR - the truck decided to change lanes as I was alongside him. God bless the van driver - he copped it quickly and managed to move in but I had a rear pannier and a glove ripped off!! Trucker never even noticed and disappeared. Wrote off another bike (Z650) whilst overtaking a truck on the (old) Ashbourne Road (hit a lump of timber on the road and lost the arse of it..). A truck going the opposite direction took my bike back towards Ashbourne as I continued my overtake on my arse!!
    After both instances I was nervous enough for a while so could understand how some people might prefer to take it easy when in traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP more and more I'm like the biker in your original post, heck I even ride a BMW now!.

But I done all the wreckless stuff years ago, raced for two season's ~ got married and couldn't afford it any longer. 1992 my wife broke her neck when we came off my RD350YPVS, sure I was having the crack doing crazy speeds and hoping to pick up a dice.

I've also been riding bikes professionally since 1985 and have rode every county in Ireland, most of Europe and the Middle East.

I can still wheelie just about any bike I'd put my arse on, and occasionally still do for kicks.. Then I remember I blew the tits off my Honda 650 Dommie a few years back wheeling her for larfs and remind myself that I'm still a fecking idiot sometimes..

I've a BMW R1100S now and a mate was egging me on for a wheelie the other day.. Done one for the crack, brought her down and continued in my old man biker mode again for the rest of the journey while my mate pissed all over me on his blade, but sure any idiot can ride a bike fast in straight lines.

So anyway, these days I leave for work in plenty of time and toddle along the M50.. I'm also very aware that petrol is costing me an arm and a leg now and driving fast is hitting my pockets big time, sure at times I'll get a rush of sh*t to the head and give her the welly ~ then find I'm filling her up a day early.

You sound much younger than me OP, so go and have the craic ~ but Jesus be careful and remember the old saying;

"There are two types of bikers, there are old bikers and there are bold bikers ~ but there are very, very few old bold bikers"..

If ya see a big fecker with a Captain America open face helmet on a BMW R1100s on the M50 someday give me the nod and if I'm up to it we're off :P

Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Snooze1

Yea when they're not in the garage getting the driveshaft, or ABS, or some other german sh1te technology fixed!

Aaaah technology....of course it's ****e....no use for anything! Electrics, who'd have them :rolleyes::p

I love Beemers....gorgeous bikes

Advertisement