Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why buy a big bike and not use it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

1992 my wife broke her neck when we came off my RD350YPVS, sure I was having the crack doing crazy speeds and hoping to pick up a dice.

Jeez man I'm so sorry. Kinda puts things into perspective. :o

You sound much younger than me OP, so go and have the craic ~ but Jesus be careful and remember the old saying;

"There are two types of bikers, there are old bikers and there are bold bikers ~ but there are very, very few old bold bikers"..

I'm 41 mate, so not exactly a young fella. Fewer days ahead than there is behind me. ;)
    If ya see a big fecker with a Captain America open face helmet on a BMW R1100s on the M50 someday give me the nod and if I'm up to it we're off :P

Stay safe.

Great post man, thanks a mill.

Oh....you're on!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not if I won the lotto chief!! I'd fill the garage with jap crotch rockets and nothing else!! Blades, ZX10's, R1's.... you get the idea. :D

Yep!

The lotto winning garage is fairly boring, all the jap litre sports bikes. And leaving out the best 1000cc sports bike out there, which happens to be bavarian :P

Cienciano wrote: »
    The lotto winning garage is fairly boring, all the jap litre sports bikes. And leaving out the best 1000cc sports bike out there, which happens to be bavarian :P

I would make one exception...ONE. But I'd have to change the b@stardisation of a front end! LOL So it'd look like this!

bmw-s1000rr-superbike2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Meh, I'll take my 'raw' blade over that motorized computer any day.

take out the driver aids and see how well it goes!

KamiKazi wrote: »

Ah it's still nice though mate. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Ah it's still nice though mate. :D

Wouldn't ride it if I was given it, same goes for anything with that blue & white badge.

I'd sell it and buy a decent bike :D

Raw? Hope your points are set correctly and your carbs are nice and clean ;)

Driver aids can be turned off. TBH I have abs, don't think it ever kicked in, if it's even an extra on a bike I wouldn't bother with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

J

I'm 41 mate, so not exactly a young fella. Fewer days ahead than there is behind me. ;)

Great post man, thanks a mill.

Oh....you're on!! :D

41, we're of similar age so (I'm ahead by five).

I was thinking of this thread early this morning, myself and a mate were heading out to the Fatlads MCC rally in Balbriggan at stupid o'clock and had an almost empty M1 to ourselves - so fun was had and I found out what my new beamer was properly good for :pac:

But on the way home I was alone and brought things back down to a more sensible level and enjoyed my heated grips for the journey home, done know whats next ~ would I look funny smoking a pipe on a biker?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

But on the way home I was alone and brought things back down to a more sensible level and enjoyed my heated grips for the journey home, done know whats next ~ would I look funny smoking a pipe on a biker?.

It would look a bit weird alright sitting on a guy to smoke, not very nice of you :pac:

It would look a bit weird alright sitting on a guy to smoke, not very nice of you :pac:

Bollix, must proof read more often :o

How are you pal, how's Cark. Didn't know you rode a bike?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

so fun was had and I found out what my new beamer was properly good for :pac:

ah you found out where the cappacino maker was on the bike?

ah you found out where the cappacino maker was on the bike?

Still looking, but I found out it doesn't like first gear wheelies but second is nice and smooth :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Why buy a 1000cc and not drive it 186mph everywhere so? I know a few chunky women I can ride just by texting them saying I'm up for it. Just cos I can doesn't mean I should do it . ;)

Sometimes I stay in traffic just so cagers can see how cool looking I am. :pac:

any more details on the erm chunky women:D phone numbers would be nice....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

What is it with f**k-wits buying a big bike, simply because they can afford it??? Why buy a 1000cc bike (if not bigger) and not use it the way it’s supposed to be, or be afraid of it?? Commuting is boring and mundane at the best of times. Some days I meet lads on bikes when I’m coming into work or going home and we have a bit of fun. Usually it’s the same lads. Nothing stupid, nothing reckless or dangerous, just a bit of dicing to take the monotony away.

This morning when I was coming in to work, I seen a bike in the distance. I thought to myself “nice one, I’ll catch up to this lad and have a bit of skit, take the boredom away…” Anyway, I caught up to him. It was a BIG bike and I didn’t recognise the guy. “Cool” I thought, “a new friend to play with” LOL. I never go around another bike until I know he has seen me in his mirrors. He looked, saw me, and just stayed as he was. When he caught up to a line of cars, he just sat there! “Em, hello? If you’re gonna sit behind a line of slow moving cars, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike!!” :rolleyes:

Anyway, now and again he’d bolt and I’d go after him. Then he’d slow down when he caught more traffic and just sat behind them. This went on for a couple of miles and I was losing time so I just bolted when I knew he wouldn’t. In fairness, he acknowledged me and waved as I went by. I went by a line of cars and round a bend. Looked in the mirror (as I do) and nothing. There was no sign of him. He was still sitting behind the line of cars.

So what’s the point? Why not just get a car and travel in warmth while listening to the wireless and sipping a coffee while talking on the phone and plucking your eyebrows at the same time like every other road user!!?? Sorry, it’s just a waste IMHO. I don’t get it.

Rant over. :P

coming home the m50(southbound) in rush hr traffic a couple of years ago at the blanc exit long before the spagetti junction was installed, back when the queue was back to finglas and about 70-80 cars back in the queue was a lad on a bike just sitting there:confused:

wish i could have asked him why

Syllabus wrote: »
    coming home the m50(southbound) in rush hr traffic a couple of years ago at the blanc exit long before the spagetti junction was installed, back when the queue was back to finglas and about 70-80 cars back in the queue was a lad on a bike just sitting there:confused:

There ya go Niall. This is my point. If he's just gonna sit there, just do it in a car!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Maybe he was following a car, or a car was following him for directions.

Pataman wrote: »
    Maybe he was following a car, or a car was following him for directions.

fair point however in this case i saw him a few different times doing the same thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

So if you don't filter you should be in a car?

I generally don't do it but I don't drive in built up areas on a daily basis and when I do I'm not in a hurry etc.

So if you don't filter you should be in a car?

I generally don't do it but I don't drive in built up areas on a daily basis and when I do I'm not in a hurry etc.

if its pishing rain on a dark winters evening and you sit on your bike 70 cars back in a very slow moving line of traffic you should be driving a car imo

it'd be a different thing if the lad i saw was out on a leisure spin in the middle of the day taking it handy, enjoying the scenery

imo

Syllabus wrote: »

I've seen people do that and wonder the same thing.

I'll give you a laugh, a few years ago I was coming up the quays (Dublin, south side) and hit a lot of traffic on one quay.. I was knackered, hot and sweaty and decided I wouldn't filter, I'd just sit and move/wait awhile.

After a few minutes my lane wasn't moving at all, the other's were so I was like 'feck this', moved into the left (moving lane) and then I noticed it! ~ I had stopped behind a line of parked cars all a long :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

I'll give you a laugh, a few years ago I was coming up the quays (Dublin, south side) and hit a lot of traffic on one quay.. I was knackered, hot and sweaty and decided I wouldn't filter, I'd just sit and move/wait awhile.

After a few minutes my lane wasn't moving at all, the other's were so I was like 'feck this', moved into the left (moving lane) and then I noticed it! ~ I had stopped behind a line of parked cars all a long :o

LOL Brilliant!

When you do that you have to get off the bike, check something closely at the side, then hop on and drive off.

Cienciano wrote: »
    When you do that you have to get off the bike, check something closely at the side, then hop on and drive off.

I do something like that if I fluff a wheelie, I slow right down and stick a hand into the carbs like something had to be adjusted :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Cos he can.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

the rider could have had a bad 'off' in the not too distant past and is only trying to get used to / the courage to get back on the bike properly again.

thats what i always think when i see someone just sitting there..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

copeyhagen wrote: »
    the rider could have had a bad 'off' in the not too distant past and is only trying to get used to / the courage to get back on the bike properly again.

thats what i always think when i see someone just sitting there..

+1 I drove to work today for the first time in 3 years!! :P New job and don't know the roads so took it handy enough, managed to go the wrong way and had to drive around in a circle to get back to where I was and was still 15 mins early - nuts to you Dublin Bus!! :pac:
    (I had an operation which meant I couldn't lift anything and left me with neck problems so thought it was too dangerous to chance the bike..then i just never got around to sorting the bike)

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Sometimes I don't bother filtering, usually down to 1 of 2 reasons.

1) Some days I want nothing more than to chill out on the bike, don't bother pushing it, and am happy enough to just sit and wait for the traffic to move.

or

2) Sometimes because I'm still pretty new to being out on the bike, I'm not always confident that there's actually enough room for me to get by, and wouldn't risk getting stuck between two lines of cars, and I'm also still wary about using bus lanes to filter.

Might prefer to sit on his bike for an extra while some days.. The quicker ya go, the sooner you're off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Might prefer to sit on his bike for an extra while some days.. The quicker ya go, the sooner you're off it.

Usually when I'm out for a spin on my own and not going anywhere in particular then i'd be like that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You got to love this thread and the way people treat bikers who sit in traffic.

We give out when people act the gobshyte on their bike,and we give out when a person sits on his/her bike in traffic.

So a biker cant win regardless.

Who cares if the biker wants to sit in traffic,at least he/she is being responsible and acting in a safe manner.

You all should stop taking this matter of sitting in traffic so seriously and maybe focus on something more important instead.

Advertisement