Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why buy a big bike and not use it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Good luck with the shoulder. I was out for 11 months with two broken elbows and a broken wrist,

Thanks man. I have SOME movement back in my right arm, so that's a good start.
    ... but the bike was a work bike so at least that bit didn't hurt :P

Feck off! Mine was my baby, I used it every day AND for weekend spins AND for the track. I miss her terrible already! :o :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Good luck with the shoulder. I was out for 11 months with two broken elbows and a broken wrist, but the bike was a work bike so at least that bit didn't hurt :P

you wont tell me what to do again hahaha. judo chop!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

you wont tell me what to do again hahaha. judo chop!!

Would you believe it was an asshole cyclist on Aisling Quay cycling against the flow of traffic.. He was like a fly on my vizor when we met :eek:

**edit.. Just thinking about that now, it was 17 years ago.. My daughter was born and because I'd the broken elbows and wrist the delivery nurses wouldn't let me hold my daughter.

Keeping on topic ~ the cyclist was filtering, but in the wrong direction lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Would you believe it was an asshole cyclist on Aisling Quay cycling against the flow of traffic.. He was like a fly on my vizor when we met :eek:

**edit.. Just thinking about that now, it was 17 years ago.. My daughter was born and because I'd the broken elbows and wrist the delivery nurses wouldn't let me hold my daughter.

Keeping on topic ~ the cyclist was filtering, but in the wrong direction lol

Broken elbows must have taken bloody ages to heal.

Broken elbows must have taken bloody ages to heal.

They were grand actually, six to eight weeks. But the bone in my wrist took forever, it was my scaphoid bone and at one point (about 10 months into treatment) I was offered a bone graft to help it heal.

But the elbows were damned sore, and doing *cough* personal hygene things with dignity was interesting :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

I have a lazarov frame for a few more months and cannot ride my Magna and other bikes of mine. Others just prefer to work on bikes, as old joints get a bit cranky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

They were grand actually, six to eight weeks. But the bone in my wrist took forever, it was my scaphoid bone and at one point (about 10 months into treatment) I was offered a bone graft to help it heal.

But the elbows were damned sore, and doing *cough* personal hygene things with dignity was interesting :o

I knew a guy who broke his 2 wrists in a crash. He still lived with his parents, his ma had to help with those "personal hygiene" things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Cienciano wrote: »
    I knew a guy who broke his 2 wrists in a crash. He still lived with his parents, his ma had to help with those "personal hygiene" things

I saw that on reddit a few months back....I'm hoping it was fake...

I saw that on reddit a few months back....I'm hoping it was fake...

Yo Mini, enjoy the G?.. When we gonna see your bike outside?.

All these injuries are ahead of ya boyo :D

Great bar! Really great! :D And when I have a bike that'll get me to Dublin in under 3 hours I'll park up outside :D Will be back in Dublin before Xmas though most likely on a weekday because I got a job in a bar. :)

I'm alright with getting potentially injured, but it will not be my mam taking care of my business if I can't do it myself :pac: That would be a bit too much, and I'm sure I could find a young one around willing to give a hand. :)

And just to be on topic, I had a big bike lined up to have in 2 years or so (my dads old BMW 1000 (Not sure of model)) Was Robbed from outside a gaff up in Dublin as my uncle had been using it. :(

• Advertisement

And just to be on topic, I had a big bike lined up to have in 2 years or so (my dads old BMW 1000 (Not sure of model)) Was Robbed from outside a gaff up in Dublin as my uncle had been using it. :(

Sh*t, sorry to hear about that but bike theft is big up here.

Tbh, I'm surprised you rec'd me in my padded shirt, leathers and beanie!.

You know you're always welcome and there's one behind the bar for ya :cool:

The bar staff there are fcuking gorgeous... Sort me :D

You're 6'2" and 230 lbs near the door...I couldn't not recognise ya haha. Knew you worked there, had to say hi. haha. (that sounds stalkerish, but it's not :D)

And yeah, my uncle had registered it in his own name anyway, so my chances of getting it were slim, but it is sh1te alright. He shoulda had a ground anchor or at least moved locations from time to time. He was in the same place every day.

The bar staff there are fcuking gorgeous... Sort me :D

You're 6'2" and 230 lbs near the door...I couldn't not recognise ya haha. Knew you worked there, had to say hi. haha. (that sounds stalkerish, but it's not :D)

And yeah, my uncle had registered it in his own name anyway, so my chances of getting it were slim, but it is sh1te alright. He shoulda had a ground anchor or at least moved locations from time to time. He was in the same place every day.

Honestly I was delighted to have met you, see I'm not the grumpy online bollox I pretend to be am I?.

The bar staff, yes they're pretty yummy alright ;)

You'd be surprised at how many people come up and ask me if I'm 'Makikomi from the internet' ? lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

So there I am this morning...on the way home from an hour on the mats and i hit a traffic jam..im only riding 6 months and not full time...so I'm at a stop and i suddenly think of this thread...and off i go...filtering...thanks OP... you've ruined me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

So there I am this morning...on the way home from an hour on the mats and i hit a traffic jam..im only riding 6 months and not full time...so I'm at a stop and i suddenly think of this thread...and off i go...filtering...thanks OP... you've ruined me :)

PMSL! Sorry mate. I was just venting, didn't think it'd have this affect on people! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Patch85

just read this thread and had a good ol chuckle Im a new biker although not new on the road I have been driving cars since i was about 15. I had to have a car because of work but i always loved bikes i just love sweet machines. So im looking at a Suzuki Sv650. But I was talking to a friend and just wondered what is the general behavior between bikers on the road such as signals and gestures or whatever I dont want to come across as the cold shouldered newbie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Hmm, I dont think theres been a nod/wave thread in a good while alright hah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Can we get back on topic here?

The only way to "use" a litre sports bike is on the track.

Same applies to a 600cc sportsbike. In fact on what we have for a track (Mondello) you dont get much use out of a 1000 as its like a carpark with no fast corners or straights. Most people and nearly all racers are faster on 600s down there, its only the absolute fastest guys that are quicker
    If somebody is getting their jollies from doing whatever then let them be. It's not the size or type of bike that matters, it's how you use it and what fun you have (sounds like something else!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Was up in Drogheda M1 retail park today getting few pressie for "you know what next month" when I seen a big bulk of a lad in bike gear putting the helmet on, looked the part he did. Just so happens he was parked near enough to my car.

As he was getting closer to the bike I said to him nice day for the biking...what ya on? He said to me a YBR125 and he looked chuffed with himself aswell. I was expecting a big R1 jobbie or a GSXR or something he said he loved it and was just out getting a few bits and bobs...... biking can and does mean so much to people in so many different ways. To him it prolly was his 1st bike and it might have well been an R1, then again it was prolly the others half's and he was nipping down the Argos on it coz the busa was too much hassle :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Fair play to him! Might be abit overboard but it's great to hear youngblood taking pride in their bike!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Was up in Drogheda M1 retail park today getting few pressie for "you know what next month" when I seen a big bulk of a lad in bike gear putting the helmet on, looked the part he did. Just so happens he was parked near enough to my car.

As he was getting closer to the bike I said to him nice day for the biking...what ya on? He said to me a YBR125 and he looked chuffed with himself aswell. I was expecting a big R1 jobbie or a GSXR or something he said he loved it and was just out getting a few bits and bobs...... biking can and does mean so much to people in so many different ways. To him it prolly was his 1st bike and it might have well been an R1, then again it was prolly the others half's and he was nipping down the Argos on it coz the busa was too much hassle :eek:

At least he was on his bike, you were in the car. Should be a weeks ban from the forum if any biker mentions driving their car.

PMSL....you try and take home a 7ft air hockey table on a ****in FZ6!!!!

You can carry anything on a bike with bungees :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Cool I can bungee the car on back of the bike and then keep me sambo's in the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Two bikes parallel to each other and you can move a king size bed...

Cool I can bungee the car on back of the bike and then keep me sambo's in the boot.
    I'll give it a go. Assuming this is your car:

peel_p50.jpg

You can carry anything on a bike with bungees :cool:

Jaysus I would say your bike is covered in bungees for that ego :eek::eek:

PMSL

:p

Bungees are great. Have cheap ones at the moment, they're getting binned, no stretch in them. I might upgrade to cargo straps.

I brought a child's 6ft slide home from Argos in Belfast to Dublin on a little RD125, I had the other half on the back and two trays of beer strapped to the tank :D Must have been around 1989 or there about's (Argos didn't have a store in the republic back then).

Patch85
    just read this thread and had a good ol chuckle Im a new biker although not new on the road I have been driving cars since i was about 15. I had to have a car because of work but i always loved bikes i just love sweet machines. So im looking at a Suzuki Sv650. But I was talking to a friend and just wondered what is the general behavior between bikers on the road such as signals and gestures or whatever I dont want to come across as the cold shouldered newbie.

No one expects you to wave and nod like the village idiot but generally I'd nod at most bikes when they park beside me at the lights (even cops).

In and round the city center I don't unless its someone I know, on the open road I'd give a nod of the head.

Welcome to biking, be safe and keep the rubber side down :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Tawny Owl

What is it with f**k-wits buying a big bike, simply because they can afford it??? Why buy a 1000cc bike (if not bigger) and not use it the way it’s supposed to be, or be afraid of it?? Commuting is boring and mundane at the best of times. Some days I meet lads on bikes when I’m coming into work or going home and we have a bit of fun. Usually it’s the same lads. Nothing stupid, nothing reckless or dangerous, just a bit of dicing to take the monotony away.

This morning when I was coming in to work, I seen a bike in the distance. I thought to myself “nice one, I’ll catch up to this lad and have a bit of skit, take the boredom away…” Anyway, I caught up to him. It was a BIG bike and I didn’t recognise the guy. “Cool” I thought, “a new friend to play with” LOL. I never go around another bike until I know he has seen me in his mirrors. He looked, saw me, and just stayed as he was. When he caught up to a line of cars, he just sat there! “Em, hello? If you’re gonna sit behind a line of slow moving cars, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a bike!!” :rolleyes:

Anyway, now and again he’d bolt and I’d go after him. Then he’d slow down when he caught more traffic and just sat behind them. This went on for a couple of miles and I was losing time so I just bolted when I knew he wouldn’t. In fairness, he acknowledged me and waved as I went by. I went by a line of cars and round a bend. Looked in the mirror (as I do) and nothing. There was no sign of him. He was still sitting behind the line of cars.

So what’s the point? Why not just get a car and travel in warmth while listening to the wireless and sipping a coffee while talking on the phone and plucking your eyebrows at the same time like every other road user!!?? Sorry, it’s just a waste IMHO. I don’t get it.

Rant over. :P

I am only getting back into bikes had big bikes in the 70's just bought my Helmet wet gear and warm gloves:D on the bike again Jesus I have been living in comfort for years driving cars and now a Jeep I drive 600Kms per week from Kildare to Dublin traffic is my main reason for the bike again. Bad weather I will use the Jeep my Father raced sport scrambling and my brother raced in Mondello track and won our Family know loads of bikers to the main point I think you need to go to Mondello to sort out your rant the roads are for driving not dicing I have seen too many bikers killed over the years and been to many a funeral and your rant will not help in any way responsible manner would be go to the track if you can manage it by the way I'am 52:rolleyes: so grow up

Advertisement