Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB card Reader are they having a laugh??

Options
  • 05-09-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

ok we all now know they are phasing out the code cards that we have been using this past couple of years.

i received my new card reader in the post today and when i opened the package i nearly choked on my corn flakes. what the f*ck kinda design is that for a replacement for something that most of us up to now kept in our wallets?

this just shows the lack of thought and creative thinking that is in our major institutions if this is what their best tech consultants come up with. no doubt serious money was spent on advisers to come up with a design and its incredible that this is what they came up with.

i rang the telephone banking today to give my feedback and her response to my question: "where does the bank think that most people kept there code cards?" was in your wallet but that it wouldnt be such a problem cause most women carry handbags to store things in. i said oh well thats brilliant is'nt it at least we have 50% of the population sorted but what about the men. you're not gonna believe her reply but she actually said alot of men are now carrying bags to carry things in. ha ha i couldnt believe what i was hearing.

clearly if some thought had of gone into this product the first question they would of asked at the design stage is where are most people gonna keep this? answer their wallets. question 2. what shape would be the ideal and how small can we get away with making the device. now clearly with the advancement in micro processors there is no reason why the device could of been only slightly thicker than the card lets say half a centimeter on both sides with a flat button lcd type panel rather than the big rubber chunky buttons that are on the one they have issued. a second design option could of been a device that could be a keyring so u could carry with your car keys, it could of used scan technology or something similar to a miniature barcode reader.

the only explanation is that the customers needs were once again last, to keep the cost for the bank down to a minimum. these guys are never gonna change and this is just another perfect example of were this financial institutions screw over the customer to keep their own costs down and maximize profits.

everyone should vent their displeasure at this continued incompetence and phone their bank or right them a letter. its only by letting them know we are not happy with their half arsed service that any change will come from management in these banks. :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I can see the good in having card readers for increased security but they are a bit big to be carrying around. However they arent needed to do anything and only certain transaction require its use so no real need to be carrying it around all the time. Certainly that would be my case but maybe others would need it more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

chris85 wrote: »
    I can see the good in having card readers for increased security but they are a bit big to be carrying around. However they arent needed to do anything and only certain transaction require its use so no real need to be carrying it around all the time. Certainly that would be my case but maybe others would need it more often.

Why would anyone carry a code.card round in their wallet?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Carrying it around ? Eh.... .... . .

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Why would you carry your code card around in the same wallet as your bank card?! Surely that negates the reason in having a code card or card reader?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

gandalf wrote: »
    Why would you carry your code card around in the same wallet as your bank card?! Surely that negates the reason in having a code card or card reader?

Why keep them separate? The two have no connection.

Your bank card bears no relation to your 8 digit IB number or your PAC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭dannyc31

Why keep them separate? The two have no connection.

Your bank card bears no relation to your 8 digit IB number or your PAC.

exactly. jesus this is worrying if people dont even understand the basics of using online banking, we are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

dannyc31 wrote: »
    exactly. jesus this is worrying if people dont even understand the basics of using online banking, we are in serious trouble.

Dont you use it for adding new DDs etc to your online account, why the hell would you carry it on your person. Do you set this up from on the street quite regularly... ?

Its worrying that you think that it needs to be mobile...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

ok we all now know they are phasing out the code cards that we have been using this past couple of years.

I've had my card reader for about a year already.. I've used it maybe 5 times..

Sits on the desk in my office at home, have never ever been out and about and needed it for anything....

good for you. but the rest of the world is going mobile with the increase in popular use of smart phones and tablets, it just seems logical that the bank would of took this into consideration with these readers too. i make use of the code card alot more than 5 times a year thats for sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

McGaggs wrote: »
    Why would anyone carry a code.card round in their wallet?!?!

I did...laminated, never stolen...never had an issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

listermint wrote: »
    Dont you use it for adding new DDs etc to your online account, why the hell would you carry it on your person. Do you set this up from on the street quite regularly... ?

Its worrying that you think that it needs to be mobile...

Why have a mobile banking app when the card reader renders it completely immobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Why weren't they just posted out automatically like the code cards were? I'm looking to make a payment quickly and can't because I'm now told I need a separate machine! Defeats the purpose of the internet banking.

Why weren't they just posted out automatically like the code cards were? I'm looking to make a payment quickly and can't because I'm now told I need a separate machine! Defeats the purpose of the internet banking.

yeah this also seems odd to me. its only when i rang them they sent this card reader out. makes me think its a supply issue at their side, more incompetence.

but yes as someone said above thats exactly my point. they are pushing there online banking app with tv commercials & poster campaigns which is due to the fact they know people will want to be doing their banking on the move via smart phones and tablets yet at the same time they release a device that is completely immobile for 50% of the population. as i said i believe they just went for the cheapest possible option with no creative forward thinking whatsoever.

its like someone just had a look at the device rabo-bank use for their banking and said right that looks like a good design, lets use that. not taking into consideration rabo is predominately an online bank with far fewer customers in the irish market and far fewer transactions carried out on a daily basis. where-as AIB are a commercial high street bank with a large portion of the irish population as there customers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You've always had to request a card reader and a code card. It's only when a current code card nears expiry that another was sent.

OP can you clarify how you worded your letter to AIB?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

as i said i believe they just went for the cheapest possible option with no creative forward thinking whatsoever.
    In fairness, I'm pretty sure the code cards were a lot cheaper than the code readers.

The problem with code cards is that they're a prime target for thieves and scammers. People were regularly inputting their entire 100 codes to scammer websites, and that left them completely open. The code readers are much more secure than code cards, but yes, there is a trade-off in terms of portability.

Which actions are people trying to do on the move that they can't do anymore? How many international transfers or one-off transfers do you do when you're out and about?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

you do know you can use other peoples code generators ,
    I still hate them tho,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've had my card reader for about a year already.. I've used it maybe 5 times..

Sits on the desk in my office at home, have never ever been out and about and needed it for anything....

Ive had mine for over a year and never used it at all. A few weeks ago the batteries ran out on my husbands one, so he took the batteries out of mine.

I dont know how to use it anyway so if the event came up that I needed to use it Id probably physically go to the bank instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

A better system would be one in which they send single-use codes by text message to the account holder's registered mobile number? This is already in successful use by other foreign banks.

To complement this, they could do like Google: Create a code generator in the form of a smartphone app.

Even better, it should be possible for the banks to all agree on a standard that would allow us to use a single system across all Irish banks.

^ just issue a smaller more compact card reader, simples!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Raladic

I don't know about the AIB card reader, but really why would you need it with you for normal transactions?
    Don't you just need it the first time to set up beneficiaries or Standing orders?

This is how it works for Ulster Bank and that works fine.

• Advertisement

i received my new card reader in the post today and when i opened the package i nearly choked on my corn flakes. what the f*ck kinda design is that for a replacement for something that most of us up to now kept in our wallets?

this just shows the lack of thought and creative thinking that is in our major institutions if this is what their best tech consultants come up with. no doubt serious money was spent on advisers to come up with a design and its incredible that this is what they came up with.

i rang the telephone banking today to give my feedback and her response to my question: "where does the bank think that most people kept there code cards?" was in your wallet but that it wouldnt be such a problem cause most women carry handbags to store things in. i said oh well thats brilliant is'nt it at least we have 50% of the population sorted but what about the men. you're not gonna believe her reply but she actually said alot of men are now carrying bags to carry things in. ha ha i couldnt believe what i was hearing.

clearly if some thought had of gone into this product the first question they would of asked at the design stage is where are most people gonna keep this? answer their wallets. question 2. what shape would be the ideal and how small can we get away with making the device. now clearly with the advancement in micro processors there is no reason why the device could of been only slightly thicker than the card lets say half a centimeter on both sides with a flat button lcd type panel rather than the big rubber chunky buttons that are on the one they have issued. a second design option could of been a device that could be a keyring so u could carry with your car keys, it could of used scan technology or something similar to a miniature barcode reader.

the only explanation is that the customers needs were once again last, to keep the cost for the bank down to a minimum. these guys are never gonna change and this is just another perfect example of were this financial institutions screw over the customer to keep their own costs down and maximize profits.

everyone should vent their displeasure at this continued incompetence and phone their bank or right them a letter. its only by letting them know we are not happy with their half arsed service that any change will come from management in these banks. :mad:

The card reader is an AIB brand one bought from China, it wasn't designed by AIB....they just bought an off-the-self generic one with an AIB logo on it.

The design seems kinda standard if you Google card readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

hognef wrote: »
    A better system would be one in which they send single-use codes by text message to the account holder's registered mobile number? This is already in successful use by other foreign banks.

To complement this, they could do like Google: Create a code generator in the form of a smartphone app.

Even better, it should be possible for the banks to all agree on a standard that would allow us to use a single system across all Irish banks.

BOI also have that option available, so it shouldn't be that hard for AIB to implement the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

It really is pathetic,

I couldn't manage a code card, I don't have a wallet so I just took a photo of my cards, and at least that way I can do everything from my phone

but this new heap of junk is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Protip - if I'm on mobile banking, send me an authorisation code to the mobile phone. Works a treat for Banking365

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭hognef

BOI also have that option available, so it shouldn't be that hard for AIB to implement the same.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Have to agree that these things look really impractical, they've tried to get me to agree to have one sent out but im standing firm with the code card untill it expires or they force these things on us. There really is no security risk to carrying the code card in your wallet.

I split my time between 2 counties staying in two different houses. I often use the code card in either house. Its just going to be one more thing i'll not have with me when I want to use it.

now thats what i call a practical solution. all it would of took is a bit of research by their IT department into what solutions are implemented by other national banks and they would of agreed that these options would of been much more practical for their customers rather sending out this impractical Chinese made heap of crap which probably cost them about 10c a unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

Im going to change bank over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I wanted to read a an AIB Visa card statement last night: app requested a code card reader! They should have sent them out to all internet banking customers if they were going to restrict functionality that previously only required the code card.

As already mentioned, these card readers are already a bit dated tbh. mTan is used widely here in Germany (not exactly known for its progressive dyamic banks either!). My bank phased out code cards in favour of mTan 2 years ago. You get the TAN virtually instantly on your phone, works a treat and you almost always have your phone with you too.

Quick question: does anyone know if the UB and AIB card readers are interchangeable? They are just generic things from China after all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I got mine recently and went to do my regular international money transfer. I got errors online and had to call for assistance, the AIB card only reconises 8 digit account numbers but i need to send money to an 10 digit account number. so i was told to drop the first to digits (i knew that) and it would work which it did. Don't no if it's a flaw but its a bit self-defeating?

Advertisement