Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar Studies!

Options
  • 05-09-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

im starting bar studies this year! im wondering what building it is in and does anyone have any information on what the course is like? is it alot of practical and how long are the hours!?!

any help is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

If you mean DT417, it is in Cathal Brugha St. A very friendly campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I just finished this year, your first and secound years will have alot of practical stuff and then in third and fourth you'll be in lectures alot. Enjoy the first and secound years while you can.

I just looked up your timetable, providing this dosn't change (which it definatly will alot) you'll be in:

Monday 9-5
    Tuesday Off :D
    Wednesday 1-5
    Thursday 9-6
    Friday 1 -4

If you have alot of bar experience you'll find the first couple of weeks very boring as alot of the stuff will be obvious, but hang in there there'll be something useful eventually.

You'll get hundreds of opps to apply for different jobs and enter different competitions in cocktail making, wine and beer in DIT and externally and my advice is go for all of them. Their great experience for a start and you can learn so much at them. Otherwise just enjoy, any more questions let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 REXY2020

thanks a million for the detailed reply martyn! just a few more as i am very curious!
    how many will be in a class? and is there a big workload!
    i have no bar experience will this make it tougher?
    and what were your lecturers like?

i ask this many questions because i have dropped out of 2 other colleges before and dont want to make a mistake this time :D!
    your help is appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

REXY2020 wrote: »
    thanks a million for the detailed reply martyn! just a few more as i am very curious!
    how many will be in a class? and is there a big workload!
    i have no bar experience will this make it tougher?
    and what were your lecturers like?

i ask this many questions because i have dropped out of 2 other colleges before and dont want to make a mistake this time :D!
    your help is appreciated

It all depends really, afaik numbers for courses across the board have dropped this year chances are there'll be 2 classes of about 20, a few always drop out in the first few weeks.

First and Secound year are handy enough, show up for your lectures and put a little time into your assignments and you should get through easy enough, the third and fourth years are when we had to step the game up.

It won't make it tougher at all, your there to learn not to be judged or tested on what you already know, normally about half the people in the course wont have worked in bars before. Best advice is either get behind a bar in a local or get a barbacking job in a high turnover city centre place (best option) and work as hard as you can. This will make a huge difference to what you can take from the course and start building your cv up.

The lecturers in DIT are all fairly helpful and understanding. You'll be on a first name basis with most of them. The head of the course James Murphy (who will be meeting you on your first day which should be soon) will do everything to look after yous, once yous show a little hard work and enthusiasm.

On the whole its great craic, the practical classes are mostly relaxed and enjoyable (unless youve loads of messers in) and again theres countless comps and events which James spreads around for everyone to have a go. However the years above you will get first crack at these (its a seniority thing, you'll get your chance).

Its like anything I suppose, you'll get out of it what you put in, I wish I'd done more but I still got to do loads I otherwise would not have put myself forward for.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 REXY2020

thanks a million martyn. this may be a bit long ago but i got fittings and am unsure as to when i get my uniform and also nothing has been mentioned about the knives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 mcram3747

"I just finished this year, your first and secound years will have alot of practical stuff and then in third and fourth you'll be in lectures alot. Enjoy the first and secound years while you can.

I just looked up your timetable, providing this dosn't change (which it definatly will alot) you'll be in:

Monday 9-5
    Tuesday Off
    Wednesday 1-5
    Thursday 9-6
    Friday 1 -4

If you have alot of bar experience you'll find the first couple of weeks very boring as alot of the stuff will be obvious, but hang in there there'll be something useful eventually.

You'll get hundreds of opps to apply for different jobs and enter different competitions in cocktail making, wine and beer in DIT and externally and my advice is go for all of them. Their great experience for a start and you can learn so much at them. Otherwise just enjoy, any more questions let me know."

MERGIUNE NEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSST

Advertisement