Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training costs

Options
  • 05-09-2012 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My company paid for an online course and I have signed an agreement to pay for it in case I leave within a number of months. This was happening in June.

Since then, I repeatedly asked them to allocate time to take the course but they never did, they never gave me the chance to even start it.

Few days ago I handed over my resignation letter. I will work for them until the end of the month.

The agreement says 'if within a period of 6 months from the date of cessation' . ... but like I said, I was never given the chance to even start it, so there is no cessation date.

Should I take the course on my own time and accept to pay ? What do you think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I would have thought you would have done it in your own time anyway - but thats just me. There's normally some give and take but I would be a bit miffed if I paid for a course and then the employee expected to take large amounts of time off to complete it in work time.

Thats just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 zagor34

It is a 5 days online course and the agreement was to take the course on company's time as part of a training program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

zagor34 wrote: »
    It is a 5 days online course and the agreement was to take the course on company's time as part of a training program.

I wouldn't pay for it then - or I'd look to have it done within my notice period if they wanted me to pay for it. Alternatively negotiate - maybe pay something towards it if you can do it in your own time afterwards.

Advertisement