Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent Sky Installer - Monagh/NE

• 05-09-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

After a number of years thinking about it, we finally bit the bullet and ordered sky (at local kiosk). Free box and installation offer.

Installer arrived yesterday, but wouldn't go into the attic to avail of the cabling we installed when building the house and wanted to run the cable down the external brick work, drill a hole beside the window, and run about 15 foot of cable around the walls and fireplace in the living room. He was shown the road (from browsing the forum, apparently this in not unusual).

The unhelpful person in customer service advised me to google or talk to directory enquiries.

Anyway, I'm not having much look. Anyone know any independent installers in the Monaghan/North East area, plus how much is it likely to cost.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭John mac

have a look here

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Carb wrote: »
    Hi all,

After a number of years thinking about it, we finally bit the bullet and ordered sky (at local kiosk). Free box and installation offer.

Installer arrived yesterday, but wouldn't go into the attic to avail of the cabling we installed when building the house and wanted to run the cable down the external brick work, drill a hole beside the window, and run about 15 foot of cable around the walls and fireplace in the living room. He was shown the road (from browsing the forum, apparently this in not unusual).

The unhelpful person in customer service advised me to google or talk to directory enquiries.

Anyway, I'm not having much look. Anyone know any independent installers in the Monaghan/North East area, plus how much is it likely to cost.

Thanks.

Hi Carb-
    you could give Gerry Carroll in Cootehill a ring on (049)5552764-dont have his mob-and at least he will tell you if he can do it...I know he does Sky and FTA set ups....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

The electrical shops in Monaghan town (think there's only 2 left now) would be worth trying also. One of the owners does installs afaia or they would have someone contracted or could at least recommend a local installer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Thanks all for the replies.

Gerry Carroll can't help as I need to have the equipment. I'll try the link above and the shops in Monaghan. Also spoke to Finlays and they are to call me back. Really helpful on the phone so I'll see what they come back with. Apparently its mostly apartment blocks for them now.

Sky said to make sure to use an installer authorised by Sky, but can't tell me who they are:rolleyes: . Also suggested ring the installers that they sent out in the first place as they might have different H&S rules for their own work. Hell will freeze over first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭zg3409

Basically best solution is to pay yourself to get the dish and all wiring installed.

Then ask Sky to supply box and card. What you are looking for is a "non standard installation" and as you have found out unless you specify this in advance and pay the installer extra and if the installer wants to do the work and has the equipement etc. they may not do it on the day.

So best to pay someoen else for your "non standard" setup and get the box and card supplied afterwards. If paying youself ask for a solid dish as it will last longer than perforated mesh dishes.

Other things worth considering is wiring for multiroom, wiring for a Sky eye, and wiring for Saorview while the guy is connecting cabling. In the second and third rooms you may want to use a Sky eye instead of paying 15 per month for multiroom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement