Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two dog vs one dog

• 05-09-2012 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi.I have searched on the forum and I got a few answers for the topic , but I was wondering if someone with my situation might have an answer ! We have a 2 yr old Belgian malinois bitch. She is quiet hyper and energetic but she is good all the same. At present we both work Im full time my girlfriend is part time so the dog is alone three days. We have minded other dogs and she is fine with them and we have the space etc for another dog.
    My worried are
    - Should another dog be similar in size to match the playfulness of the first dog.
    - We also have a three yr old who loves dogs . Should the dog be a pup so it knows it's position in the family.when we got the dog we were advised to show it the baby took preference.
    - Should it be another bitch
    - Will a new dog copy bad habits of an existing dog

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Two dogs, no question. Great for your dog to have a little friend of its own species.

Similar size isnt really necessary, Ive a little terrier mutt who holds her own with my GSD but dogs of the same size do tend to play more together. The main thing is that the playfulness is fairly similar in both dogs.
    I would imagine a pup would be the ideal since you have a small child.
    The sex doesnt matter too much in my experience,I have 2 bitches who never fight but other people will have had the opposite experience.
    The new dog will most definitely copy both good and bad habits of your existing dog, specially if its a pup.

Advertisement