Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

studying during summer break

Options
  • 05-09-2012 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just wondering, as regards undergrad, does anybody actually study or read ahead for upcoming year during the holidays ? I have to admit I thought about it but never got around to doing any, what do you guys think ? smart play or complete overkill ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Studying ahead kinda seems a bit like a spoiler to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

hmmm..... so nobody does this eh ? ......who'd have thunk it ?....
    ........*sighs, shuffles off , muttering, with hands in pockets*

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Just wondering, as regards undergrad, does anybody actually study or read ahead for upcoming year during the holidays ? I have to admit I thought about it but never got around to doing any, what do you guys think ? smart play or complete overkill ?

Overkill and you wont have a clue what to study/read ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I'd say some people do, but there's no point. Why not just learn as you go through lectures and study? Would seem easier than reading ahead imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Canteloupey

I read the Nutshell on Criminal Law four times over the summer, I ordered the book and I got it early, so I just carried it around everywhere so when I was stuck waiting in a queue I could read something.

Coursework would be something worth reading on flights, you'd either learn something or fall asleep so at least the time would be passed. ;)

My argument for reading ahead would be as unless you have a summer job/have a really active social life, most people aren't doing that much in the summer, so by reading ahead and learning it frees up time to not study during the semester (which sounds like much more like me), rather than overkilling it.

Also I found a lot of stuff clicked for me (started to make perfect sense) near the end of the semester last year, but reading the same stuff repeatedly has lead to (some stuff) clicking already. :pac:

You can always check what modules the people in the year above you did last year, chances are it's going to be the same stuff.

I would have never done this in school, but I wasn't dreading going back to UCD like I would be with... *shiver* secondary school. :P

I wouldn't say it's necessary whatsoever, more something you do if you have nothing whatsoever possibly better to do and it's raining.

Urgh I feel like such a obsessive studier, I swear I always cram the night before, none of that learning it over the course of the year stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭kkumk

Yea I do a bit of reading/note-taking over the summer. I try to get a few chapters ahead in all my modules so that I always know whats going on & don't feel overwhelmed when it comes to week 7ish. I enjoy it though so I don't find it overkill :)

Advertisement