Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible to set up third monitor screen VIA USB?

• 05-09-2012 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Just a quick question, I am hoping to use a third monitor for music production.

Is it possible to connect a third monitor to my computer via USB to USB cable? Or would I need to use a USB to DVI-D converter cable instead?

Currently using windows 7, already using 2 monitors both connected using the 2 DVI ports at the back of the computer. I have a spare USB port, and the monitor has a USB input on it hence my question.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

It takes a little bit more than just a USB cable. A USB graphics adapter will do the job. Don't expect anything fancy, they're not made for graphic intensive 3D applications or games. Should be less than 100 yoyos.

Something like this.

Or upgrade your graphics card, ATI Eyefinity supports 3 monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

Thanks for that, just noticed my graphics card has a HDMI slot also, would a straight HDMI to USB cable from the computer to the visual monitor work then? Or even a HDMI to DVI-D converter?

Now, we don't know the model of your graphics card, but most cards with 3 connectors (VGA, DV-I & HDMI only support two monitors at the same time (unless it's an Eyefinity capable card).

As for you monitor's USB input, this is not Video in, it usually works as a USB hub, allowing you to connect more USB devices to the Monitor. Or it is a Display Port, which is different again.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DR.Magoo

Torqay wrote: »
    Now, we don't know the model of your graphics card, but most cards with 3 connectors (VGA, DV-I & HDMI only support two monitors at the same time (unless it's an Eyefinity capable card).

As for you monitor's USB input, this is not Video in, it usually works as a USB hub, allowing you to connect more USB devices to the Monitor. Or it is a Display Port, which is different again.

Thank you so much for your help. The HDMI to DVI-D works but I can only use 2 monitors at a time. Is there any way around that other then buying another graphics card?

DR.Magoo wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your help. The HDMI to DVI-D works but I can only use 2 monitors at a time. Is there any way around that other then buying another graphics card?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Is buying a cheapo graphics card and running it along side your existing graphics card an option? You can get basic graphics cards for less than €20.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Is buying a cheapo graphics card and running it along side your existing graphics card an option? You can get basic graphics cards for less than €20.

Sure it depends on the available slots. A new PCI graphics cards cost a little fortune. ;)

USB adapter is probably cheaper and might perform better, they do 1080p full HD video after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why would a USB one be better? A PCI one would be much better and cheaper I would have thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Torqay wrote: »
    Sure it depends on the available slots. A new PCI graphics cards cost a little fortune. ;)
    A little fortune for a 12 year old maybe:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+AMD+Radeon+HD+6450+1GB+DDR3+PCI+Express+2.1+Graphics+Card/3425907.p?id=1218690824358&skuId=3425907

That little bastard will support 3 displays just fine.

Advertisement