Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail feckin about

• 05-09-2012 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭

I have just spent a bit over an hour booking tickets with Irish Rail. They have the slowest booking system, insufficient information on their website, and totally stupid security questions. Verified by Visa is also a pain, more stupid security questions. A security question needs to be unambiguous, not one with half a dozen possible answers. Then finally having to ring them to ask them for the confirmation number, because the site got bored and ... stopped. No error message, just died.

Right, I feel better now. Not looking for any sensible answers, just needed to rant a bit. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Eh you do know this isn't the Irish Rail feedback page?!?!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

looksee wrote: »
    Right, I feel better now. Not looking for any sensible answers, just needed to rant a bit. :D

Let the train take the strain !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I have just spent a bit over an hour booking tickets with Irish Rail. They have the slowest booking system, insufficient information on their website, and totally stupid security questions. Verified by Visa is also a pain, more stupid security questions. A security question needs to be unambiguous, not one with half a dozen possible answers. Then finally having to ring them to ask them for the confirmation number, because the site got bored and ... stopped. No error message, just died.

That's what happens when you try and book a train ticket on the Tesco shopping website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Security via a keyboard input is a pain almost by definition.

I haven't had a problem with the Irish Rail website, although I haven't used it much. In what way were the questions ambiguous? Verified by Visa just use characters from your password, no ambiguity there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

same thing happened me last week op, eventually got my ticket over the phone after it failing countless times last week. the same thing happened this week, it wouldnt accept my email and i had to keep trying for a good bit to get the tickets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Verified by Visa is a total con job. Is it them that have security questions like "whats your favourite band/film/meal"? Absolute genius whoever made up those selections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Zab wrote: »
    Security via a keyboard input is a pain almost by definition.

I haven't had a problem with the Irish Rail website, although I haven't used it much. In what way were the questions ambiguous? Verified by Visa just use characters from your password, no ambiguity there.

Nope, that isn't the way it happens. There is a security question and in my case (given that I had forgotten what I originally said) there were something like 6 different possible answers - there is even an 'or' in the question, which is two answers right off.

kfallon wrote: »
    Eh you do know this isn't the Irish Rail feedback page?!?!?

Why would I waste any more time on them, the issues were simple enough and I had given them to the person I spoke to (second time) in Irish Rail. And if they don't know how slow their site is they are not going to bother over my complaint.

Nope, that isn't the way it happens. There is a security question and in my case (given that I had forgotten what I originally said) there were something like 6 different possible answers - there is even an 'or' in the question, which is two answers right off.

I use VbV all the time and that doesn't happen to me. Did you forget your VbV password and have to do the password recovery?

Bambi wrote: »
    Verified by Visa is a total con job.

con job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I f&ckin hate Verified by Visa with a passion. Have cancelled the purchase of several things in the past because the stupid site uses stupid stupid VbV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

sounds like you'd be quicker walking :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Zab wrote: »
    con job?

by con job I meant pain in the hole.

speaking of which, some silly boys out there:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/realworld/373768/the-security-hole-in-verified-by-visa

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Cheaper to buy them in the station and less hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Mully_2011 wrote: »

No it's not. You can often get cheaper prices online for Irish Rail.

Mully_2011 wrote: »

No, €11.99 (including booking fee) on line, €21-something in the station

Advertisement