Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mel Gibson's Payback

• 05-09-2012 2:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing this is not going to be a popular opinion on here but.........

I really like Payback.There, I've said it!

Wtched it again at the weekend and it still holds up for me. Great performances from all of the cast - Gibson is great in the lead, Gregg Henry is fantastic as Resnick and the rest of the cast really make this work - for me.

I love the darkness of it and the dialogue is top notch.

And it has Maria Bello, a young Lucy Liu (going by the Lucy Alexis Liu monicker) and the not seen enough Deborah Kara Unger if you like "lovely girls" :)

Anyone agree?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭GarH

It's a guilty pleasure for me too.
    I love the way Porter goes from a (not quite) psycho at the start, to a more likeable comedic 'hero'.
    And yes,a great support cast. Especially Lucy as a dominatrix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Ye it's a very good film noir and I have it on my queue of films to watch on Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I really like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ye it's a very good film noir and I have it on my queue of films to watch on Netflix.

FYI:
    The Blu Ray has the Original Theatrical Release and the Director's Cut with an Alternate Ending for those of you who haven't seen the latter and may be interested. There's also a DVD release of the Director's Cut out there too. Worth a look if you like the Original!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Cool movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i didnt think this was an unliked film, gibson is on fine form in this one, his last films get the gringo had him back in a role like this one, obviously payback is better:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

One of those movies that I end up watching whenever it's on the telly. Quite a good film.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Loved the film, but I hated the directors cut. Kris Kristofferson wasn't even in it :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

one of my favourite movies.
    The alternative ending is great.

As mentioned already, he plays a similar character in "Get the gringo" which I really liked aswell but its nowhere near as good as Payback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭the_djoker

Good flick allright, alternative ending .... hmm must check it ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

don ramo wrote: »
    i didnt think this was an unliked film

Part of the reason I posted this was when I mentioned this recently amongst some movie lovers I got completely shot down. Tried debating but got laughed out of it. Delighted to see a different reaction here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Mel Gibson is a really good actor. He has a big presence and he is very funny. IF you watch his latest movie, "Get The Gringo" (Or "How I Spent My Summer Vacation" in some places) you'll see what I mean.

His ridiculous personal life aside, I'd pay to see his movies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

this was actually a good movie. dont know why you thought get slated

Advertisement