Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer desk to 10km in 4 weeks

Options
  • 05-09-2012 2:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've read a few logs over the last few days so thought I'd start one myself. Over the last couple of years I've been studying software development and about to start looking for work in the sector. Obviously it's not the most active of areas to work in so decided I need to make a conscious effort to get fit.

A few friends are talking about doing the Galway Bay 10km on 6th October, so rather than continually putting off getting fit, I've jumped in the deep end and signed up yesterday evening! I've never even done a 5km. :o

I do the odd bit of swimming and have gym membership but only ever use the pool.

Went to the gym this morning and got measured up with their "Tanita body composition analyzer" so I know where I'm starting from.

Height: 182cm (6ft)
    Weight: 96.7kg (15 stone, 3 pounds)
    BMI: 29.2
    Body fat: 25.3%

Lots of other stats but I think that's the main ones. So yeah, over all the recommended healthy ranges.

I got on the treadmill to see where my fitness was at. Did a full 60mins and covered 7.7km between running (9kph) and walking (5kph). Pushed myself pretty hard and actually very pleased with that as a starting point, better than I'd expected.

3 week goal: 5km in < 30 mins
    4 week goal: Galway Bay 10km on 6 Oct (Run & Walk) (good time?)
    Further goal: 10km in < 60 mins.

What time do you think I could I aim at for the 10km?

Was thinking of sticking to 60min sessions on the treadmill, slowly increasing speed and duration of running. Train every second day? Thoughts?

All advice welcome! ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Hi, best of luck with your goal :)
    J o e wrote: »
    Was thinking of sticking to 60min sessions on the treadmill, slowly increasing speed and duration of running. Train every second day? Thoughts?

All advice welcome! ;)

I'm far from an expert, but one thing I would advise you to do is to get out on the roads, rather than training on the treadmill. Also, as for a time, just aim to finish it in one piece, and enjoy the experience of your first race :)

Here is a 4 week plan you could follow http://www.fitconnect.com/blogs/plucky/From-0-to-10k-in-4-weeks Don't know if the plan is any good, I just googled it ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

RubyK wrote: »
    I'm far from an expert, but one thing I would advise you to do is to get out on the roads, rather than training on the treadmill

Yeah that's the plan. Wanted to start on the treadmill so I could "measure" what level I'm at a bit better. Do a few runs during the week and gym maybe once a week to track progress.

Aching a bit today after the session on the treadmill yesterday. Plan on going for another run tomorrow evening.

How often is recommended to train? Thinking of going for a run every second day and a swim on the alternative days to keep fitness up.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

Aim for finishing. That will get you a PB. Then you'll have a target to take on next time.

Just back from my second training session. Hit the treadmill in the gym again this time.

Distance: 8km
    Time: 60min

10 leisurely lengths of the pool afterwards to warm down.

I went in with the plan of repeating sets of 8min run (9kph) and 2min walk (5.5kph) but started getting a bad stitch at the end of a few runs so did a few 7/3 instead to loose the stitch.

The first 30mins was very rough going, was going to call it a day. But got through a wall and 30-50mins was much easier, then another push at the end.

In bits now though, was tougher than the first day and I think I know why. Skipped breakfast today and was hungry by late lunch so had a big carvery lunch in the college bar about 2.30pm. Feel very bloated now too, also explains the stitches. The first run was in the morning after only a bowl of porridge. Lesson learned! ;)

No pain no gain I suppose!

• Advertisement

Was out for a couple of pints last night and have a lot of work to do today, so really had to force myself to do some training today! Went to the gym again so that I could watch the hurling final at the same time.

Distance: 8km
    Time: 60min

Again a combination of running and walking. Tried a faster pace (9.5-10kph) and was going grand in terms of energy but kept getting a bad stitch after a few mins so the walking intervals were a bit longer to make up for that. Upped the walking to 6kph too.

Looking forward to a run outside this week, the gym was far too warm and stuffy.

It's been a whole week since an update, missed the three planned sessions since last Sunday. :o Crazy busy in college working on a thesis that's due the 28th, working until 10pm-1am in college every day.

Back to the program tomorrow, just need to get up earlier to fit it in... ;)

Got back to the running this morning - first run outside! :D

As soon as I headed off both knees were aching, they eventually loosened out after a few km. It was a lot tougher going than the gym mostly due to the hills, which I wasn't used to. Calves were getting very tight, still sore. The cold air really cuts into the throat too! :rolleyes:

Here's the elevation of the 7.8km route;
    1347894785_10218_P_140203223109.png

Had to stop a good few times and walk for a bit. Was much harder going than the gym and I'd walked too much of it I thought. Since I was doing 8km in 1hr in the gym I was expecting to come back in ~75mins. Surprisingly it was just under the hour. :) The running stretches must have been faster to make up the time.

Distance: 7.8km
    Time: 59min

Thankfully the 10km track is pretty level - it's actually along the 3km to 6.5km section of that profile. I think next time I'll do a brisk warm-up walk to the actual race start (it's only 5-10min walk from home), do 8km of the route then a walk back to cool down.

Left knee is still pretty sore from yesterday's run. :( Worst when walking down stairs. Sound familiar? Knee injuries seem to be common with this running craic.

It just went as soon as I started yesterday, did do stretches but didn't walk or anything to warm up...

Didn't get out for a run today as my left knee and right lower calf are still fairly sore to walk on. Don't want to make them worse. Will give them another day anyway to see if it clears up. Was it starting straight into running without a warm-up walk do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I'd guess it was doing too much too soon. You'd have been better trying to get use to regular, shorter, runs at a steady pace. Increase a little each week.

The last 2 weeks have been a disaster for my 10k preparation! :( And it's on this Saturday. :eek: No runs and eating rubbish.

It took over a week for my knee to sort itself, then I had a masters thesis due last Friday so didn't have any time last week.

Got back out for a run today. Thankfully the knees were grand, not a bother. Fitness has dropped a lot. Didn't have a watch so wasn't a very organised run, walked when I was out of breath and ran when I caught it again. Half way through I got a nasty stitch which I couldn't shake so ended up walking a lot of the end.

Distance: 6.2km
    Time: 40min

Any tips for avoiding stitches? :confused:

Well that 4 weeks of preparation was a bit of a disaster! 10k is tomorrow morning! :eek:

Well at least it'll be a personal best...

Hoping to come in around 70mins, hopefully the stitches stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Just been reading your thread, best of luck with the race! Even if it doesn't go exactly according to how you wanted it to go, you've competed in your first race, and you know what you have to do to improve. So well done!

With regard to your calves, have you been stretching them properly before and especially after your exercise sessions? I have to give mine a lot of attention!

Today was the day! Perfect weather for it in Galway today! Blue skies and no wind.

Got a bowl of porridge and a banana into me early. Then down for the group warmup. Tried not to go off too slow but felt I was being held back a bit so passed a few until I found my comfortable pace.

Turns out they changed the course, so that threw me a bit, but not much. Reached the 1km in under 6mins so I knew I was at a pase that would make a sub 60min run possible. :eek:

Same for the next few km, was within a few seconds of the 6min/km each time. Controlled my breathing and kept the steady pace and wasn't forced to walk until after 5km. :) Kept the walk short (20-30sec) until I caught my breath and got back into it. I had read online last night that stitches can be the cause of shallow breathing, so when one started at ~5km I did good deep steady breaths for a few mins and it did go away! :D

The 6km and 7km marks were either missing or I somehow missed them :confused: so didn't know how I was doing at that stage. Then came to the 8km and reached that at 48min 20sec... so only 20secs off the 1 hour pace. The next km was tough going as it was out and back a straight road.

Kept pushing hard to keep it going for the last km with the plan on upping the pace for the last 3 mins. Couldn't really push it more though. Then sprinted the last 100m or so as I could hear them counting down to the hour.

I came in just over the hour (1hr 15sec I think) but my watch time was within the hour, started mid-crowd. So I'm hoping that the chip time comes in under the hour!! :eek:

Delighted with the result! Running in the pack really helped sustain the run and avoid walking. I think the chip time isn't out until monday in the Independent... fingers crossed its a sub-60min 10km!! :eek:

scriba wrote: »
    Just been reading your thread, best of luck with the race! Even if it doesn't go exactly according to how you wanted it to go, you've competed in your first race, and you know what you have to do to improve. So well done!

With regard to your calves, have you been stretching them properly before and especially after your exercise sessions? I have to give mine a lot of attention!

Thanks scriba. ;) The calves were grand on the run today but have tightened up a lot now since. Might need to focus on stretching them a bit better before and after.

Got the chip time today... 59min 49sec! :D
    J o e wrote: »
    3 week goal: 5km in < 30 mins
    4 week goal: Galway Bay 10km on 6 Oct (Run & Walk) (good time?)
    Further goal: 10km in < 60 mins.

Done (was sub 30' @ the 5k mark)
    Done
    And surprisingly, done. :p

Will need to set new targets. I'll have a look on run Ireland for other races. I think another couple of 10k runs until I can do it more comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Well done J o e´on reaching your goal :) Keep up the great work.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ellie_sun

Well done on your run!

Advertisement