Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Sector Unions

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

kippy wrote: »
    I have no doubt that at some stage there will be another cut in public service pay (one way or the other) however it is unlikely that it will be of the magnitude that yourself or others appear to think it will.

Thats because when you give someone, especially a highly unionised public sector workforce something each year, its very hard to take it back off them.
    Cowen + co doubled public sector pay + pensions in ten short years...what to do now?
    Not that long ago was the controversy about some public servants getting time off ( a half hour no less ) to cash their paycheques ( even though they were paid by direct debit for years ), their half day off for shopping at Christmas etc.
    No wonder the country is f****d.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

36 weeks work at €1000 per week.

36K a year.

And a newly qualified primary school teacher?

18k. Just like any other greenhorn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Japer wrote: »
    Thats because when you give someone, especially a highly unionised public sector workforce something each year, its very hard to take it back off them.
    Cowen + co doubled public sector pay + pensions in ten short years...what to do now?
    Not that long ago was the controversy about some public servants getting time off ( a half hour no less ) to cash their paycheques ( even though they were paid by direct debit for years ), their half day off for shopping at Christmas etc.

Back to my original theory. What makes you think that the EU/IMF are about to dictate to the Irish government that Public Sector pay needs to drop by circa 40%?
    Have you an inside line on AJ Chopra?

Fair enough.

Obviously you are assuming that social welfare benefits/minium wage etc all come down in line with these adjustments?

And by the way, very few people educated to degree standard, currently start work in the profession they trained for on 18K per annum.

Fair enough.

Obviously you are assuming that social welfare benefits/minium wage etc all come down in line with these adjustments?

And by the way, very few people educated to degree standard, currently start work in the profession they trained for on 18K per annum.

When you have an oversupply of applicants looking for work in any particular profession, you can offer whatever you think the market will accept. Unfortunately market and trade unions does not compute.

• Advertisement

When you have an oversupply of applicants looking for work in any particular profession, you can offer whatever you think the market will accept. Unfortunately market and trade unions does not compute.

So you're suggesting that those pay rates exist within the current environment.
    Interesting.

So you're suggesting that those pay rates exist within the current environment.
    Interesting.

In the private sector yes which is why we have the likes of Jobbridge, unfortunately the public sector is dictated to by the parasitic unions.

However you should sit in the school secretary's office of any primary school in Dublin and witness the 10+ unemployed teachers a day coming in looking for temporary work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Thats just the sort of thinking that will ensure unions will remain strong in Ireland.

In the private sector yes which is why we have the likes of Jobbridge, unfortunately the public sector is dictated to by the parasitic unions.

However you should sit in the school secretary's office of any primary school in Dublin and witness the 10+ unemployed teachers a day coming in looking for temporary work.
    Strangely enough I tried to get a plumber to do some work for me recently. I was expecting this open market type economics you speak of but not one plumber would do the job for less than was "worth their while"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

ejmaztec wrote: »
    The main union dealing with the private sector is "The Chocolate Fireguard Union"

Surely a chocolate fireguard would melt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

eventually the IMF will cop on that government spending here is still way too high. If you were a taxpayer in those countries bailing us out, would you be happy our public servants are paid and pensioned so much more than their own public servants? Is that sustainable? No. A few years ago our brainy alcoholic waster Brian Cowen paid himself more per year than the leader of the free world, the President of the USa, more than the p.m.'s of UK or France or Germany.....

And they might tell them to cut wages might not say which ones though. And not all PS workers get good wages I would suggest you google them and check them I myself are on less the 25K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

If it wasn't for the inordinately high cost of living in this country, driven by private sector greed, then all wages across the board would be much lower.

Conveniently air-brushing the roll of high costs and protected markets in private sector leading to the financial demise of this state.

The private sector historically has been bankrolled by PAYE workers across the public and private sectors be it scrappage schemes for cars, tax breaks for housing development or PPP toll roads.

Strangely enough I tried to get a plumber to do some work for me recently. I was expecting this open market type economics you speak of but not one plumber would do the job for less than was "worth their while"

Solicitors, Barristers, Sparks, Taxi's, GPs, Dentists, Accountants... the list goes on and on.

Conveniently air-brushing the roll of high costs and protected markets in private sector leading to the financial demise of this state.

Like the high energy costs from the highly unionised ESB and Bord Gais?

The private sector historically has been bankrolled by PAYE workers across the public and private sectors be it scrappage schemes for cars, tax breaks for housing development or PPP toll roads.

And it's relevance to public sector unions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

What's a realistic wage for a primary school teacher with 15 years of experience?

Much less than the present one, ordinary workers tired of funding the public sector elite's lifestyles and retirement plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Solicitors, Barristers, Sparks, Taxi's, GPs, Dentists, Accountants... the list goes on and on.

and why the hell would anybody in a self employed business as all those you listed are, do a job for less than "worth their while"?

Regardless of what the job is there is a cut off point where it isn't worth it, it's called economic sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

kippy wrote:
    What's a realistic wage for a primary school teacher with 15 years of experience?
    Much less than the present one
    Which is how much?

And since you don't know basic facts like this, how do feel justified in grouping this teacher in with
    the public sector elite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

Public Sector Unions are a bunch of 'Yes' men. From next March I have to work an extra 3 minutes per day.

Advertisement