Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned in motors and accused of being a "timewaster" for a misunderstanding

Options
  • 05-09-2012 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

I've been banned for three days as a result of a thread I posted in Motors:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056745141

TestTransmission had a look through my post history, noticed that i'm young and quite rightly came to the conclusion that I couldn't have possibly owned six cars in the past as I said. Without actually raising that question on the thread or with me, he locked the thread and banned me for being a "timewaster".

Seeing as i've made a few reasonably useful contributions in my time posting on the motors forums, I would have thought he wouldn't have immediately jumped to the conclusion that I was trolling. I wasn't and explained what was going on in the thread in this chain of PMs:

TestTransmission:
    You've been banned from motors for three days - Standard boards PM
    Me:
    Why on Earth have I been banned?
    TestTransmission:
    Log out and read my closing comments on the thread.
    Me:
    It would have been better if you asked first.

To begin with, the assortment of cars in question were my father's cars. Being the type of person who doesn't like cluttering their posts with irrelevant info, I said they were mine to stop people going off on tangents and to keep things straightforward. As for my saying "I bought an A6" that's perfectly true as I contributed quite a bit of money to its purchase and am a named driver on my father's insurance. As for how an 18 year old could afford to pay the amount of money in question, have a trawl through my post history like you did on the thread.

If you still don't believe me, so be it. I do have hard evidence to prove what I'm saying but seeing as I'm not being tried in court, i'd rather keep it private and do without posting on motors for three days. Hopefully, you'll take my word for it that I'm being honest.
    TestTransmission:
    Fair enough.
    Me:
    "Fair enough" as in enjoy the holiday or "Fair enough" as in you'll unban me and re-open the thread e.t.c.?

Hopefully the latter smile.gif

I just want to clear up my image in front of everyone else. Being called a timewaster and then getting banned isn't exactly something i'd like to be associated with myself.
    TestTransmission:
    The ban will be staying in place, you are entitled to appeal this through the DRP.

And here I am.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hi

One of the Rec Cmods will look into this and get back to you.

Thanks

Micky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Has any one looked in to this yet?

Hi, Yes it is actively being discussed. Things take time, depending who is on line etc. That is the trouble with very short bans.

To the case at hand. When you post in the motoring forum you do so in the company of other motoring enthusiasts. People pick up on all the details and your inconsistent information lead to some frustration as to what was the truth and what wasn't.

The ban is going to be lifted now with immediate effect but please take it as a timely reminder to keep your facts true. You'll get a lot more help this way.

Micky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Hi, Yes it is actively being discussed. Things take time, depending who is on line etc. That is the trouble with very short bans.

To the case at hand. When you post in the motoring forum you do so in the company of other motoring enthusiasts. People pick up on all the details and your inconsistent information lead to some frustration as to what was the truth and what wasn't.

The ban is going to be lifted now with immediate effect but please take it as a timely reminder to keep your facts true. You'll get a lot more help this way.

Micky
    Will the thread be re-opened? As for "keep the facts true", it's an ideal that's well-suited for talking to a friend or group of people you know. For a large, mostly faceless group I thought it'd be better to stick to the important details without resorting to trivia.

What you own, drive, have driven aren't trivial facts on a motoring forum. It is the core principal of a motoring forum in fact. When people see contradictions they are unsure if you are telling a true story or not.

With regard to the thread being unlocked, it isn't my place to say so.

Please pm the mod who closed the thread for further assistance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement