Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo hedge/wind screen?

Options
  • 05-09-2012 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Hi all..
    We recently had a deck installed and now just want to give some shelter from prevailing winds.. I'm particularly drawn to bamboo as along with being visually attractive, it will give a tall hedge/screen without being too thick..

What to opt for is a bigger problem, the soil is average but I can improve with compost...

I was thinking of something like this.. "Phyllostachys Bisettii"
    http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/phyllostachys-bisettii--green-stem-bamboo/phyllostachys_bisettipd.aspx

Has anyone experience of bamboo as screening or any better recommendations... would you plant now or next spring?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you'll be wanting this then, its lovely, spreads easily and can be contained easily too, with fabulous colour.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/phyllostachys-nigra--black-bamboo/phyllostachys_nigrapd.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Hmmm
    The reason I was looking at the first one as it is more "wind tolerant" and frost resistant than most..
    I can see that is definitely more attractive though :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jeanjeenie

Bamboo screening might seem like a good idea at the time but I have personaly come to regret planting them. They are very very thirsty and require lots of watering especially when they are being established. Rain wasnt a problem this summer but just remember that over the next year or so when you will need to be watering them hard, the new water charges are coming in. I planted mine about 5 years ago. Funny enough, we didnt seem to get much rain that year. Anyway, despite watering them daily when I was around, anytime I went away they just looked dead and lost loads of leaves. Also, make sure you can contain the spreading root system THey are like grasses and run everywhere they can. That said, if you are prepared for the hardwork and possible future watering expense, they are beautiful things. happy gardening!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bbam wrote: »
    Hmmm
    The reason I was looking at the first one as it is more "wind tolerant" and frost resistant than most..
    I can see that is definitely more attractive though :confused:

Get yourself down to Dublin Zoo (Elephant enclosure)..and you will see giant bamboo hedges that line the side of the pathways in that part of the Zoo.

Fantastic too.:D

Oldtree wrote: »
    you'll be wanting this then, its lovely, spreads easily and can be contained easily too, with fabulous colour.

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/phyllostachys-nigra--black-bamboo/phyllostachys_nigrapd.aspx

How hardy would that be?

Is it prone to dieing off suddenly?

• Advertisement

paddy147 wrote: »
    Get yourself down to Dublin Zoo (Elephant enclosure)..and you will see giant bamboo hedges that line the side of the pathways in that part of the Zoo.

Fantastic too.:D

Yes... I'm lucky enough to have sen them growing en'mass in China and they are indeed spectacular..

I was planning on putting in the 30cm size plants.. Are there any other varieties thet you would recommend Paddy? Hardy and wind resistant..

bbam wrote: »
    Yes... I'm lucky enough to have sen them growing en'mass in China and they are indeed spectacular..

I was planning on putting in the 30cm size plants.. Are there any other varieties thet you would recommend Paddy? Hardy and wind resistant..

I wouldnt have clue,as Im not a gardener.

My missus is though,but shes in work at the moment,and I dont want to call her and annoy her....(I value my life);):D

and I dont want to call her and annoy her....(I value my life);):D

Go on ....
    Tell her some random guy on the internet is wondering what bamboo to plant.... then come back and tell us how that went :p

thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How about some Phyllostachys aurea? (cheapest i've found it is on thepavilion.ie. Was thinking of getting that myself for the back garden as a screen. Seems to be cheaper than Phyllostachys Nigra which would be my first preference but cant afford it :(
    I even got some seeds for Phyllostachys Nigra on ebay thinking that was the solution but they didnt germinate, probably because I didnt know what i was doing!
    Probably Bamboo seeds may be more tricky than regular veg seeds that i'm used to planting :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

How exposed? I've grown the types mentioned above, and P. nigra is the most attractive and definitely the least wind tolerant. Mine is still recovering from nearly dying in the cold winter, it was cut right down. P. aureosulcata is a runner and can become a nuisance, it can also reach at least 10 ft tall (not sure how much higher it's going to go....)
    P. bisettii is probably the toughest, or a Fargesia if you like a more delicate slender cane.
    As mentioned, watering is key. Regular feeding too, and mulching helps.

• Advertisement

is this any use??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

is this any use??:)

:confused: berries? Someone's got a bit mixed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

where those pictures from Paddy?

I will spare the garden centre its blushes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How much are the Phyllostachys aurea Paddy?, those look like just the job for what I want.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    How much are the Phyllostachys aurea Paddy?, those look like just the job for what I want.

Havent a clue.:confused:

I only took the pics as we were going by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

Oldtree wrote: »

wow look at the price of that stuff, pretty expensive if you need a few of them. Beautiful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

bbam whatever you do or bamboo you choose, it would be wise to stick to clump forming bamboos for a screen/ hedge. Stay clear of runners. :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

planetX wrote: »
    :confused: berries? Someone's got a bit mixed up.

Thats not Bamboo thats Nandina I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

emer_b wrote: »
    wow look at the price of that stuff, pretty expensive if you need a few of them. Beautiful though.

Its gorgeous, if you have the right site. Is is pricy but worth it and it does spread by runners (thus mentioned "control" earlier) so if you have patience then you dont need so many. Runners can be trained into pots and then put where you want.

It is lovely to see a clump swaying in the wind, the dark stem contrasts very well with the green leaf, also makes a soothing russeling noise.

• Advertisement

emer_b wrote: »

Well, if you get the 30cm one it's only €14.
    They fill out quickly and it's easier to establish a smaller planr

Advertisement