Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An unwanted nocturnal visitor

• 05-09-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭

Woke up at 4am to a hysterical wife and a terrified cat in the bedroom. The thing is, we don't have a cat! After calming her down and then telling the wife to shut up, I figured out what had happened. The cat had found its way onto our window sill and squeezed in through the open window. During the night, we usually leave the alarm on, but the upstairs windows open for a bit for air.

I put the cat out and went back to bed.

Thing is, I know that cats are creatures of habit. And apart from closing the windows, which would be stifling, I'm not sure how to discourage the cat from coming back. Any suggestions?

By the way, we live in a built up area, so high powered weapons would probably be frowned upon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Leave the back door open so a dog can walk in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i thought this was going to be about wet dreams :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

A good dousing with ice cold water usually deters most animals from repeating the action.
    ...not great for the carpet unfortunately!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Orange peel on the windowsill? Cats apparently don't like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 red27

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Woke up at 4am to a hysterical wife and a terrified cat in the bedroom. The thing is, we don't have a cat! After calming her down and then telling the wife to shut up, I figured out what had happened. The cat had found its way onto our window sill and squeezed in through the open window. During the night, we usually leave the alarm on, but the upstairs windows open for a bit for air.

Thing is, I know that cats are creatures of habit. And apart from closing the windows, which would be stifling, I'm not sure how to discourage the cat from coming back. Any suggestions?

By the way, we live in a built up area, so high powered weapons would probably be frowned upon.

Put pepper on your window ledge and that will keep the cat away, We had the same problem, worked for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

let the little cat in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Buy a big Dog, that will teach em :P

buy a pellet gun, i heard cats dont like getting shot with pellet guns :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Pour lemon juice on your window sill especially where you think the cat might have climbed on it, the strong smell will deter it in future. Do it every 2 days for about a week should be enough to keep it away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

3rdDegree wrote: »

Phew. I thought I got caught

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

You have an alarm and a cat breaks in
    Ha a cat burglar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

davet82 wrote: »
    Buy a shot gun they hate being shot too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

OP, you will have remark your territory. Do this by urinating against any areas in which the cat might come, windows, doors, attic etc...

Good Luck!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Alactric

GAAman wrote: »
    Pour lemon juice on your window sill especially where you think the cat might have climbed on it, the strong smell will deter it in future. Do it every 2 days for about a week should be enough to keep it away

Smart man here. I have no idea why but our cats would go ape if they get a whiff or taste of citrus. Heightened sense of taste / smell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

so John you did put the cat out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Befriend the cat and go on wonderful adventures together.

You could then write a series of books and maybe get a film deal in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Alactric wrote: »
    Smart man here. I have no idea why but our cats would go ape if they get a whiff or taste of citrus. Heightened sense of taste / smell?

Yep, very strong sense of smell that's why I said about doing it every 2 days if you did it once the smell would fade for them after 3-4 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Sedate and shag the cat.

Bind it with masking tape beforehand in case it splits before you come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

GastroBoy wrote: »
    OP, you will have remark your territory. Do this by urinating against any areas in which the cat might come, windows, doors, attic etc...

Good Luck!!!:)

Blast it with piss

anncoates wrote: »
    Sedate and shag the cat.

Bind it with masking tape beforehand in case it splits before you come.

sweet jesus! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

There's anti-burglar paint which can be painted on surfaces/window sills to make them slippy.

Or there's motion detection automated sprays too Sample Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Hypnosis is the only way to go. Get yerselves hypnotised that ye bark randomly in your sleep every 3 or 4 minutes. That'll scare most things away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Not one, but two, daddy long-legs bastards came in through my bedroom window last night, bounced around my room, TOUCHED off me, and acted like it was no big deal. After I came out from under my duvet cover and stopped shaking and crying, I bate the sh*te out of them with my dirty sock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

why don't you kill the cat the next time it's in your room?

Dave! wrote: »
    I bate the sh*te out of them with my dirty sock.

That'd be grand if they stayed still! :mad:

Dave! wrote: »
    Not one, but two, daddy long-legs bastards came in through my bedroom window last night, bounced around my room, TOUCHED off me.

i'd like a forum set up for support for daddy long-legs incidents and victims ;)

great post btw :pac:

i'd like a forum set up for support for daddy long-legs incidents and victims ;)

great post btw :pac:

It would get vetoed in favor of the Moth forums. Ye know...THE REAL SILENT KILLER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭sweeney1971

Many years ago I lived in a Village what had a Cat that visited every open window it could find. Make itself at home then crap in the house and went on to the next. It managed to crap under my quilt when I had left a window slightly open. I had to buy new bedding and a new matress. The Company who I bought the matress off offered to remove the old matress but I did not want them to think it was me who put the skid stains on it so just set fire to it when it was dark.

Many years ago I lived in a Village what had a Cat that visited every open window it could find. Make itself at home then crap in the house and went on to the next. It managed to crap under my quilt when I had left a window slightly open. I had to buy new bedding and a new matress. The Company who I bought the matress off offered to remove the old matress but I did not want them to think it was me who put the skid stains on it so just set fire to it when it was dark.

That's awful...and brilliant :D

I heard fresh pussy tastes nice.
    I ****ing hate cats.

If one got into my room, he wouldnt get out let me tell ya.

Que lazy cat owners going mad.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Plate of catfood. Add 1 crushed lightbulb. Serve.

Voila! No more cat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Damn OP !! I'm not sure how you survived !!

Waking up in the middle of the night and your wife finds you in bed with some strange pussy ?

They write songs about men like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

Leave a sock on the handle of the open window, it's a well known Do Not Disturb sign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

nbar12 wrote: »
    why don't you kill the cat the next time it's in your room?

Te be honest, the cat wasn't the one making all the noise and the fuss.......

I heard fresh pussy tastes nice.

he he he he he he...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

Alactric wrote: »
    GAAman wrote: »

Hogwash !
    I seen itchy & scratchy drinking lemonade last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Put some washing up liquid around the window and the frame, they dont like the smell of it. Works wonders at keeping them away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

red27 wrote: »
    Put pepper on your window ledge and that will keep the cat away, We had the same problem, worked for us.

Did that, but Pepper kept falling off the window ledge. She was a German Shepard, so didn`t really fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Works better if it's lemon scented washing up liquid.
    Could be the cat was preggers and looking for somewhere to drop a litter, best to close your windows or you could get a worse surprise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I love a bit of pussy in the middle of the night........

Advertisement