Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused.com about Australian visas/residency

Options
  • 05-09-2012 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi guys,

I know there are lots of topics here and all over the internet regarding working holiday visas and residency in Australia, but to be honest, I find it so confusing and just generally difficult to find out exactly what I want to know. This could be because, although I am Irish, I'm currently based in the UK, and I'm being directed to British-based websites? I'm guessing I would have to apply for my visa in Ireland?

I appreciate all feedback anyone can give me but I would especially like to hear the experiences of people who were in the same boat as me and got through it.

The main things I would like to know for now (and these will probably lead to more questions!) are:

What is required for the working holiday visa and what is it like? Is it hard to find employment and what are the terms of working when you do find it? Is fruit-picking still a requirement? Do you have to move on after a certain amount of time? Are Irish people welcomed?

Is it possible to get residency before you arrive, as in apply for it rather than a working holiday visa? If not, how can you apply for it once you are there?

It's looking like I'm going on my own, is this a bad idea?

I've always wanted to go and have been held back by one thing or another but I've just had a major change in my life and now could be my chance, but I'm finding it very daunting and overwhelming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

SuzieK86 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I know there are lots of topics here and all over the internet regarding working holiday visas and residency in Australia, but to be honest, I find it so confusing and just generally difficult to find out exactly what I want to know. This could be because, although I am Irish, I'm currently based in the UK, and I'm being directed to British-based websites? I'm guessing I would have to apply for my visa in Ireland?
    Please read the FAQ in that you will see the visa pages are Australia, it doesn't matter where you apply from, once you are outside Australia
    What is required for the working holiday visa
    Covered in FAQ
    and what is it like?
    Is it hard to find employment and what are the terms of working when you do find it?
    Lots of threads around from various people about WHV, in fact there are 3 right now on the Australia home page
    Is fruit-picking still a requirement?
    It was never a requirement for the WHV, only the 2nd WHV (again covered in FAQ)
    Do you have to move on after a certain amount of time?
    1 year, you can spend it wherever you want, however you can only work 6months per employer
    Are Irish people welcomed?
    Generally yes
    Is it possible to get residency before you arrive, as in apply for it rather than a working holiday visa?
    Yes, I would suggest reading the migration mega thread

It's looking like I'm going on my own, is this a bad idea?
    Not at all, lots and lots of people do it
    have a look here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056445834

Your best WHV thread is this one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962#post73021962

• Registered Users Posts: 39,250 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Where you are based currently won't matter.

A WHV is granted more or less instantly, and costs $200 or so. The only requirement is that you are under 31.
    Residency, takes 3-12 months to grant. Will cost $3-5k. And there are lots of requirement such as qualifications, and generall a lot harder to get granted.

Everything else is in the FAQ. Which you go for will depend ultimately on you and your plans/goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SuzieK86

Don't know how I didn't see the faqs before, I'm not very good at this but thanks for pointing me towards them, they've been really helpful ;)

Advertisement