Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Half Marathon and 10km - 6th October 2012

Options
  • 05-09-2012 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭

Don't see a thread on this. Anyone here doing the half marathon or 10km in Galway?

http://www.galwaybayhalfmarathon.com

I signed up yesterday for the 10km - my first run! ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

J o e wrote: »
    Don't see a thread on this. Anyone here doing the half marathon or 10km in Galway?

http://www.galwaybayhalfmarathon.com

I signed up yesterday for the 10km - my first run! ;)

A 35 quid 10k...... I might give this one a skip

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Doing the half alright, done it last year too. Was a well organised race. Nice course and location too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I'm doing the 10k myself. Haven't done this event before but a good cause will benefit from it.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭dev123

martyboy48 wrote: »
    I'm doing the 10k myself. Haven't done this event before but a good cause will benefit from it.. :)
    How much of the entry fee goes to the charity? You receive a sponsorship card upon entering which might be what the charity will receive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

dev123 wrote: »
    How much of the entry fee goes to the charity? You receive a sponsorship card upon entering which might be what the charity will receive

Don't know what percentage goes to the charity, was roped into it by my sister(both fairly new to running)... Basically, she said If I agreed to do it with her, she would pay my entry and collect money on behalf of both of us... Agree with you on the cost though, bit steep for what it is....

• Advertisement

dev123 wrote: »

I believe it is either 5 or 10 euro of each entry goes to Cancer Care West.

I have emailed them to clarify.

Got back to me there very efficiently.

"€5 from every entry fee goes directly to Cancer Care West - we are expecting this to reach €15,000 this year from entry fees. As well as that Cancer Care West receives a further €50 for each Civil Defense Marshall that helps out. And they also receive some smaller sponsorships around the event. On top of this participants are asked to fundraise for Cancer Care West. Their total target this year is to reach €100,000. €1.8million has been raised for Cancer Care West through these events over the past 9 years."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Bit annoyed at that.

Last year 1040 did the 10k and 956 did the half marathon. If only €5 goes to CCW, then that's (1040 x €30) + (956 x 40) = €69,440.

Surely it can't cost €69k to run the event, even after insurance etc? :confused::confused:

I don't like the idea of businesses making big profit from an event advertised as being "in aid of Cancer Care West".

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭dazza21ie

The route on their website for the half is showing up a distance of 12.54 miles. Bit out there!

dazza21ie wrote: »
    The route on their website for the half is showing up a distance of 12.54 miles. Bit out there!

Yeah the actual route is 13.1 miles. And the route on the website is actually the correct one, 2 laps of the track.

However i think that the mapmyrun cant calculate the pier, as a result it comes up with 12.54 instead of the 13.1 which it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Bit annoyed at that.

Last year 1040 did the 10k and 956 did the half marathon. If only €5 goes to CCW, then that's (1040 x €30) + (956 x 40) = €69,440.

Surely it can't cost €69k to run the event, even after insurance etc? :confused::confused:

I don't like the idea of businesses making big profit from an event advertised as being "in aid of Cancer Care West".

As long as there is interest in a "race for profit" race like this they will keep taking your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Enduro

Bit annoyed at that.

And it used to be worse. In 2009 and 2010 exactly nothing from the race entry fee went to charity, despite it being advertised as a charity fundraiser. Remember, in the end it is a commercial race being run to make money for the organisers. Hence the relatively high entry fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Enduro wrote: »

And it used to be worse. In 2009 and 2010 exactly nothing from the race entry fee went to charity, despite it being advertised as a charity fundraiser. Remember, in the end it is a commercial race being run to make money for the organisers. Hence the relatively high entry fee.

It was my first ever race in 2010 & i got berated by a local lady on my way back to my car for the reasons stated above. Haven't done it since.

I've sent them an email to clarify that it's mostly for-profit.

tang1 wrote: »
    As long as there is interest in a "race for profit" race like this they will keep taking your money.

I wouldn't mind paying for a well organised "race for profit" but don't like them presenting it as being "in aid of" a charity.

I wouldn't mind paying for a well organised "race for profit" but don't like them presenting it as being "in aid of" a charity.

+1 to that. It just doesn't sit well.

I've sent them an email to clarify that it's mostly for-profit.

Got an email back...
    This issue was dealt with extensively in the press last year
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/21906-charity-happy-monies-raised-city-marathons

But I am happy to clarify further...
    I've been involved with this event in a voluntary capacity for the last 9 years, and was actually at the very first meeting in the set up of the race. The number of participants initially increased year on year but when the economy turned, the numbers declined significantly - enough to threaten if it would actually continue or not. For the first 5 years the event was managed by Cancer Care West, with the majority of the work being undertaken by a team of volunteers.

With the economic recession the in kind sponsorship and availability of volunteers reduced to the extent that the Charity/Organisers decided to turn the event into a commercially run event, where everyone gets paid, significant marketing activities are carried out and Cancer Care West would continue to benefit also without having to get involved in any of the organisation. Luckily, this strategy worked and the event is now going from strength to strength again and Cancer Care West continue to benefit - as well as the €5 from each entry fee, many participants fundraise and donate to Cancer Care West and I understand that the event is still one of the largest fundraising events for the charity. €1.8million has been raised for Cancer Care West through these events over the past 9 years.

If you would like to clarify any of this with the charity, Sharon would be only to happy to give you more information on this. Her email is sharon@cancercarewest.ie or you could call her at the Cancer Care West offices in Galway.

I had a look at article from last year and it says "€5 from each entry fee of €35 (10k) or €45 (half-marathon) went directly to Cancer Care West and this was made clear to each entrant as soon as he or she registered for either of the two races". I went through the registration process again and can't see any mention of the €5 or anything on the website... :confused:

The €1.8 million raised for Cancer Care West was when the event was known as the Galway Bay 10 (mile), prior to the establishment of it as a commercial enterprise in 2009 under the name Galway Bay Half Marathon & 10k. They are therefore two separate events - prior to 2009 and since 2009. So the more pertinant question is how much exactly did it raise for Cancer Care West since 2009 - both directly or indirectly. With no part of the fees directly going to charity in 2009 and 2010, it therefore directly raised approximately 10k for Cancer Care West in the three editions of the race combined thus far (all contributed in 2011 only after the issue was raised in the Galway media).

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭CivilEx

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I did the 10k last year and I'm signed up for the half marathon this year. The course is relatively flat along the promenade with only one hill to speak of near the 5k turn. It was well marshalled last year with plenty of water stops and plenty of public support to give you the extra kick. If last year is anything to go by, there will be a huge range of people running with times going to be from 34 min or so to 2 hours for the 10k.

I'm looking forward to the buzz that Galway gives you with 3000 or so people likely to be running on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

45 euros for half marathon :eek:
    35 euros for 10k.
    http://www.runireland.com/events/galway-bay-half-marathon-10k
    seems a bit steep just to run up and down the prom.......
    (price does include t-shirt and other stuff):D

I asked the organisers in reply to their email last week where on the website or during the registration does it show that it's only €5 to the charity. 5 days ago, they haven't replied to that. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭keithrus

This is a big event considering the numbers. Yes its a shame that the CCW dont get more but consider this. From what I hear there are 2000 people running. And if you multiply that by 5 its 10k. Now that's excluding any donation from cards etc. Its a big event too and police etc have to be paid. I went last year and it went very well. Anyways best of luck to all involved and go beat that personal best :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Marty09

Did my 1st Half Marathon at this event last year.
    Have done a few since and plenty other 10k events.

Found the Galway Half Marathon/ 10k overall event to be very well organised.
    - Good flat scenic course, different start times for 10k and 1/2 marathon.
    - Well marshalled
    - Nice T-Shirt & goodie bag from the registration center.
    - Pre-event warm up / music etc.
    - Very good after race hospitality with Lucozade Sport, fruit, sandwhiches , tea etc.
    - All runners chip timed

Only improvement I would recommend would be to use pacers on the half marathon for runners aiming for times at 1:30, 1:40, 1:50 etc.

Definetly will do this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

Agreed and to add to that further, I don't mind paying Eur25 for a charity 10k (Dublin Tunnel Run, Great Pink Run) but Eur35 for a race-for-profit is a bit cheeky to say the least,even if it's well organised!

I was thinking of doing this one but with over-night expense and travel from Dublin required already, I think I'll leave others to fill the pockets of the organisers!

I asked the organisers in reply to their email last week where on the website or during the registration does it show that it's only €5 to the charity. 5 days ago, they haven't replied to that. :o

The organisers are following the thread and replied to my email after seeing this post 6 days ago. They said they'd mention that it's only €5 to the charity in the website FAQs as soon as they can get their tech to do it. No sign of it yet, will be a bit pointless when everyone's signed up.

Since you're following the thread would be good to hear a reply to this;
    Enduro wrote: »
    The €1.8 million raised for Cancer Care West was when the event was known as the Galway Bay 10 (mile), prior to the establishment of it as a commercial enterprise in 2009 under the name Galway Bay Half Marathon & 10k. They are therefore two separate events - prior to 2009 and since 2009. So the more pertinant question is how much exactly did it raise for Cancer Care West since 2009 - both directly or indirectly. With no part of the fees directly going to charity in 2009 and 2010, it therefore directly raised approximately 10k for Cancer Care West in the three editions of the race combined thus far (all contributed in 2011 only after the issue was raised in the Galway media).

Anyway aside from the high entry price I hope everyone raises plenty of money for Cancer Care West! Great charity!

They said they'd mention that it's only €5 to the charity in the website FAQs as soon as they can get their tech to do it. No sign of it yet, will be a bit pointless when everyone's signed up.

Entries now closed - the €5 to charity never did get added to the website. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Had planned to sign up for this but was waiting until I got paid tomorrow. :(

Does anybody know if they have a waiting list for transfers?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

• Advertisement

3000 entries this year :eek:.

So if it's roughly half for each event like last year, the organisers stand to take in €120,000. Only €15,000 of that passed on to Cancer Care West.

Advertisement