Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Half Marathon and 10km - 6th October 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭student2010

J o e wrote: »
    3000 entries this year :eek:.

So if it's roughly half for each event like last year, the organisers stand to take in €120,000. Only €15,000 of that passed on to Cancer Care West.

That's a serious wad of cash they stand to turn over. Was half thinking about doing the half but it's incredibly expensive @ €45, did the Charleville half at the weekend for €30 on a teriffic well organised course, €35 for a 10k is the most I've seen for a 10k ever, pure taking the biscuit here, €20 is the most I've seen any other race charging, doing the Cork to Cobh 15 mile for €10 instead. Anyone else share the same sentiments or I am just being picky?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

That's a serious wad of cash they stand to turn over. Was half thinking about doing the half but it's incredibly expensive @ €45, did the Charleville half at the weekend for €30 on a teriffic well organised course, €35 for a 10k is the most I've seen for a 10k ever, pure taking the biscuit here, €20 is the most I've seen any other race charging, doing the Cork to Cobh 15 mile for €10 instead. Anyone else share the same sentiments or I am just being picky?

I think it is a fair complaint, but so long as they are able to get 3000 to pay what they want (including me..) it is hard see it changing.

What ever about the half, I can't believe people would pay €35 for a 10k being run off at 9:45am to make way for a 'bigger race'.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭student2010

Gambas wrote: »
    I think it is a fair complaint, but so long as they are able to get 3000 to pay what they want (including me..) it is hard see it changing.

What ever about the half, I can't believe people would pay €35 for a 10k being run off at 9:45am to make way for a 'bigger race'.

Yeah €35 is really just beyond me, an incredible amount to fork out for that distance.

Athenry ac have announced that their annual 10k will go ahead in December, €18 early entry and €20 late entry, top class field too.

Why the gap in price structure? Fair enough the tech tee would cost €15 to €20 minimum, €35 to €40 maximum to buy in a store but €35 is still outrageous.

9:45 is very early for such a distance too and as you said it's to make way for the main event later, bad form imo

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Yeah €35 is really just beyond me, an incredible amount to fork out for that distance.

Why the gap in price structure? Fair enough the tech tee would cost €15 to €20 minimum, €35 to €40 maximum to buy in a store but €35 is still outrageous.

You're way out on the price of a tec-tee. These can be , and are got at prices below 10e from foreign makers on the inter-web. Got one of the best tec-t's I own , in a race last year and found out from one of the organisers it cost 4e !

Mr.W.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

does anyone know if there is a safe bag drop at sart of this race?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just got an email with my number for this.
    boodiebhoy wrote: »
    does anyone know if there is a safe bag drop at sart of this race?

Don't know how safe but yeah this was in the email;
    What facilities are available at the start and finish line?
    Storage area for belongings for registered participants (at owners risk). As bags will be stored outdoors please ensure they are waterproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

The first year I entered this they were charging 60 euros for the 10k IIRC. I think that was the year they sent the leading runner a rabbit (thirstywork) the wrong way.

Was very badly run that year and they got a lot of negative feedback, the following year I think they replaced their race director - they did reduce their prices and seemed to take a lot of the feedback on board. I thought it was a much better organized race myself

Its still pricy enough particularly the 10k but compared to the Achill and Connemara 1/2 marathons its cheaper. I agree though that I hate seeing loads of mentions of in aid of Cancer Care West and then finding out only 5 euros of it is going to charity

Profiteering on the back of the charity if you ask me, I know Cancer Care West are probably delighted to get any money at all but perhaps they should be more cautious about lending their name to it when they see what the overall profit of this race is

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭eldiva

Was considering running this but the price put me off. 35 euro for a 10k or 45 for a half is crazy money.

Did the race in 2009 and they had a much better course which was more rural and challenging and yes thirstywork was sent the wrong way during the marathon while leading it. They had to have road closures in 2009 due to the course

The course changed in 2010 and the half is just two loops of the promenade.

Think i'll run the Tallaght 5mile or Simon run instead this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

eldiva wrote: »
    Was considering running this but the price put me off. 35 euro for a 10k or 45 for a half is crazy money.

Did the race in 2009 and they had a much better course which was more rural and challenging and yes thirstywork was sent the wrong way during the marathon while leading it. They had to have road closures in 2009 due to the course

The course changed in 2010 and the half is just two loops of the promenade.

Think i'll run the Tallaght 5mile or Simon run instead this year

Thanks for the reminder,goes down as the worst organised race I ever raced.Was told after I would get a €100 elverys voucher :mad:
    The race will attract a strong field though with very good cash prizesfor individuals and teams.Streets of Galway and Loughrea top of my Galway list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Thanks for the reminder,goes down as the worst organised race I ever raced.Was told after I would get a €100 elverys voucher :mad:
    The race will attract a strong field though with very good cash prizesfor individuals and teams.Streets of Galway and Loughrea top of my Galway list.

I was spectating that day as it went close to my house. Level of marshaling & lack of road closures was bad enough, but there was also a fatal car crash the previous night on the Moycullen road which caused its closure. Ridiculously, the cops diverted all traffic onto the back roads, but without any indication as to where they should turn back to get towards town. They should have been diverted back before reaching the race route, but weren't.
    I tried to help out with the kids who were marshaling at the end of my road, but some drivers were idiotic & nearly ran over runners on numerous occasions.

I think the organisers learnt there lessons from then on - hence a lot of the route is now on the prom/paths in salthill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

ran race in 2010 and 2011 and enetered for 2012.

thought race and organisation fine,There is a bag drop to answer another query!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

How diid this go? Was the weather good?

Couldn't make it in the end. Had to adjust to Athlone tomorrow due to training plan.

Hope you broke 70m J o e...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Did the 10k, weather was absolutely stunning, lovely sunshine and no wind even along the prom. Well marshalled and very enjoyable. Water,apples,bananas,powerade at finish. Trailers selling soup ect at finish if yo had someone waiting.
    Very early start (for me anyway) but the glorious weather made it very enjoyable :)

Perfect weather for it today!

They changed the course - wasn't the same as the website. Preferred the new course though. Was it me or were the 6 and 7km marks missing? That threw me a bit, didn't know how I was doing!
    blockic wrote: »
    Hope you broke 70m J o e...

I think I might have snuck in under the hour! :D Was just over on the clock and just under on my watch... hopefully the chip time matches the watch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

i think the 6 and 7 markers were missing aswell as i was keeping my pace vs those signs,

what weather it would have passed for california!

J o e wrote: »
    I think I might have snuck in under the hour! :D Was just over on the clock and just under on my watch... hopefully the chip time matches the watch!

Congrats! Push on from here now! Get your log title changed to Half Marathon! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Say what you like about the funding / donation structures, you can't fault the race itself.

Great course, well marshalled, great atmosphere (well for the half anyway, the earlier start kinda killed the crowds for the 10k). Any amount of water bottles on the course & afterwards. Plenty of powerade bottles afterwards. As you entered the finishers tent you could choose from pasta salad (quite nice too) & plenty of fruit. And for those who want them; the t-shirt & medal are decent too.

Fair enough the race is costly and people are always going to have issues around the €5 donation but this is my second year doing the race & race day has been faultless both times.

Well not exactly faultless but thats only becasue my own race was a nightmare. Was knocking out a decent pace & feeling very comfy when at the 6 mile marker I got a right b!tch of a stitch. And could I hell get rid of it. I had to get through the next 7 miles with it, was close to tears at times, bloody painful to catch a breath at times.

On to the next one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Still no results up. Could it be possible that the rag of the Indo demanded nothing be released before they publish them in the paper to force people to buy it?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but any other race I've ever done (runs/tris/duathalons) have them up within a few hours.

Bad form whatever the reason.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Still no results up. Could it be possible that the rag of the Indo demanded nothing be released before they publish them in the paper to force people to buy it?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but any other race I've ever done (runs/tris/duathalons) have them up within a few hours.

Bad form whatever the reason.

wont be up until monday night after indo have published them.

happened last year also

blockic wrote: »
    wont be up until monday night after indo have published them.

happened last year also

So it is a case of that rag owning the rights. That's ridiculous.

You pay 45e to enter, of which only 5e goes to charity and now this shi.te!

Fcuk that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Its pretty common these days, almost all the results of the bigger triathlons this year were ran on the Monday Independent. Although they were published on the race website on the night of the race.

I would guess they are getting a few bob to hold off posting the results until the Independent print them.

Lovely day for the run yesterday, never saw so little wind down the prom

catweazle wrote: »
    Its pretty common these days, almost all the results of the bigger triathlons this year were ran on the Monday Independent. Although they were published on the race website on the night of the race.

I would guess they are getting a few bob to hold off posting the results until the Independent print them.

Totally agree. The wind was innaturally calm.
    Really enjoyable route too. Would love to do it again.

No issue with them posting in that rag but IIRC I received a text with my splits after the DCT a few hours after completion.

It's not like anyone would go and buy it, you just have to view it online.

Also are medals really that necessary? They probably cost 3-4e each. With 3,000 running I think Cancer Care could benefit much more with an extra 10k in the bank than the medal winners.

I'd love to do it again, it was really well organised but really think at 45e to enter ALOT more than 5e should be given to charity.

On a side note my payment was never processed and so I never officially entered. Went down to Elverys and was able to enter by paying and extra 50e to enter.

95e in total but 55e went to charity so I didn't care in the slightest.

catweazle wrote: »

Totally agree. The wind was innaturally calm.
    Really enjoyable route too. Would love to do it again.

No issue with them posting in that rag but IIRC I received a text with my splits after the DCT a few hours after completion.

It's not like anyone would go and buy it, you just have to view it online.

Also are medals really that necessary? They probably cost 3-4e each. With 3,000 running I think Cancer Care could benefit much more with an extra 10k in the bank than the medal winners.

I'd love to do it again, it was really well organised but really think at 45e to enter ALOT more than 5e should be given to charity.

On a side note my payment was never processed and so I never officially entered. Went down to Elverys and was able to enter by paying and extra 50e to enter.

95e in total but 55e went to charity so I didn't care in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭dizzymom

Really enjoyed the course, the weather was amazing, not a puff of air, great atmospher at this race. I was a little disappointed with end of race food, cold pasta, drink and banana could easily have been replaced with tea n sambo, but overall a great experience, this was my 3rd GB and even though its REALLY expensive for a half marathon I will probably be back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Really enjoyed the race - lived up to fast and flat promise, hoping to have an official half marathon pb, pity to have to wait so long for results but overall well organised, plenty of water etc and the weather just perfect. One gripe, which has nothing to do with race organisers but a common theme in many races is the dog sh1t on the course. Dog owners please clean up after them. Worst part of my day was cleaning runners afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭geurrp the yard

I dont understand why people keep moaning about the cost of this race,yet still run it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

I dont understand why people keep moaning about the cost of this race,yet still run it?

Agree 100%,if you are not happy then best not to run it.
    Plenty of other good races around !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

did the half for the third year in a row.I like the race even though I ran poorly.heard the 10k lead pack went astray due to no marshall being around to direct them where the course turns left to head back towards the path near the sea??

Cost is a factor in this and many races.But no one is forcing you to pay ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I see the results are in the paper, but they've only gone and called in the "Streets of Galway Half Marathon".

• Advertisement

Results are in the independent today. "Streets of Galway - Half Marathon"... eh. :rolleyes:

Anyway it looks like the times in the paper are the race times, and not the chip times. Only one time given, all it says is....

"Note: As starting times were slightly staggered, times were recorded using a "chip" system and there are small discrepancies between finishing times and final placing."

The time given is 8 seconds over what I thought my clock time was. My girlfriend is 8 seconds over too. Was hoping the chip time would come in under the hour (started a bit back) so really hope these are race/clock times. But if they are it's a bit of a joke making people buy the paper to get them!

Advertisement