Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Half Marathon and 10km - 6th October 2012

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

J o e wrote: »
    Results are in the independent today. "Streets of Galway - Half Marathon"... eh. :rolleyes:

Anyway it looks like the times in the paper are the race times, and not the chip times. Only one time given, all it says is....

"Note: As starting times were slightly staggered, times were recorded using a "chip" system and there are small discrepancies between finishing times and final placing."

The time given is 8 seconds over what I thought my clock time was. My girlfriend is 8 seconds over too. Was hoping the chip time would come in under the hour (started a bit back) so really hope these are race/clock times. But if they are it's a bit of a joke making people buy the paper to get them!

I just went into Eason's found my time and put it back down again. No chance of wasting my money on that rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

ebixa82 wrote: »
    I just went into Eason's found my time and put it back down again. No chance of wasting my money on that rag.

Does it look like your race time or chip time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Regarding gun or chip time - all official race results should appear as gun time, its the only one that counts.
    The chip time notion has come into play in the last few years, and is a good way for mid to further down the pack runners to get a better notion of their time for the distance, seeing as it can take quite a while to cross the start line in the bigger races.

Having said all that, there is no excuse for the results being delayed two days for a paper to publish them & then the paper only publishing one set of times available.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Does it look like your race time or chip time?

Certain it's the gun time.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Having said all that, there is no excuse for the results being delayed two days for a paper to publish them & then the paper only publishing one set of times available.

It is very bad form. Up there with being handed a manky packet of cold pasta after the race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

What's worse is, I bought the 'rag' and my name wasn't even printed.
    Poor form considering the price of the race and the paper!

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Certain it's the gun time.

Same as that. I have a 30sec + difference between my watch time (which should = chip time) and the time on the clock when I finished, and while there are a few seconds difference the paper is definitely the gun time IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

charkee wrote: »
    did the half for the third year in a row.I like the race even though I ran poorly.heard the 10k lead pack went astray due to no marshall being around to direct them where the course turns left to head back towards the path near the sea??

Cost is a factor in this and many races.But no one is forcing you to pay ...

doubt if thatwas the case as there was motorbike and bicycle with lead runner who was very complimentary of the race afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

Hear a rumour that th Indo are reconsidering their policy of publishing full race results; not worth the paper they're written on (literally;)!)

The results are finally online now. The race times are a few seconds off the ones shown in the paper, odd.

My chip time came in at 59min 49sec... delighted! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭CLARiiON

The results are finally online now. The race times are a few seconds off the ones shown in the paper, odd.

My chip time came in at 59min 49sec... delighted! :-)

Well done Joe!

Pictures don't seem to be on their website, but are on their Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/ElverysGalwayBayHalfMarathonAnd10k?fref=ts

Anyone know if this is going ahead this year? I'd like to do it again, and trying to see what to aim for in the autumn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Gambas wrote: »
    Anyone know if this is going ahead this year? I'd like to do it again, and trying to see what to aim for in the autumn.

They havn't updated their FB page either, someone else asked in March about this and they never responded.

Updated today:

http://www.galwaybayhalfmarathon.com/

Last weekend in September

I see there's still no mention on the website that it's only €5 from the €35/€45 to the charity. :o

Very expensive 10k, although it was a great day last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭RAFA B

Raging will be away for this. €35 is expensive enough for a 10k though still raging i will miss it now.

Advertisement