Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veronica Guerin

• 05-09-2012 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

Got a lend of it on DVD off a mate last night (i had seen it before a few years ago) and enjoyed the film. Towards the end the narrator tells us which criminals got what sentence and then disclaims 'everyone in Ireland knows where they were when the found out Veronica was shot'; sort of JFK esque...

Well i dont, no disrepect to the woman (RIP) but i havent a clue were i was, i remember it being in the papers for ages but being a teen at the time i didnt take much notice of anything i guess...

So do you remember? Does everyone remember? Or should i stop believing everything dvds tell me :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I don't remember but that's because I was quite young at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

stop believing everything dvds tells you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Meh. That is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

I was beside her car ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Had never heard of her until she was killed tbh and then the Indo carried it as front page for about a year....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    stop believing everything dvds tells you !

but dvds have been like a father to me :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I was beside her car ;)

:(

davet82 wrote: »

Think of them as more like the Holy father!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I think I pissed my pants in school that day. :o

Well Blu Ray must be your sexy uncle then.:pac:

I was coming home from school IIRC, and seen it on the news when i got home.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Think of them as more like the Holy father!

there both full of shít and cost you money? ;)

I think I pissed my pants in school that day. :o

Thats a fine way for a teacher to behave! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Biggins wrote: »
    Thats a fine way for a teacher to behave! :p

Nice one Biggy Smalls :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

On the way home from work was driving was 20 at the time. remember thinking i had not got a clue who she was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I remember where I was when I heard about JFK! :D

Yeah, I remember where I was when I heard about VG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I was watching the news with my mam, who grew up a few doors down from Veronica Guerin.Still remember her shock and turning up the volume/shushing everyone in the room.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I remember where I was when I heard about JFK! :D

Yeah, I remember where I was when I heard about VG.

go on share both stories unless you were on the bog for both them, then i dont want to know ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I remember reading the papers and thinking who the fudge is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

If i remember correctly that day France were playing croatia in the european cup ? And I was going to the pub to watch it,Then heard on the radio a woman was shot dead didn't find out till later it was Veronica guerin, Couldn't believe that it happened,A reporter being shot dead, unbelievable at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I was in the study with Miss Scarlett and a candlestick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I think I was in a B&B in the Isle of Man watching a European Championship game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

IIRC I was covered in honey and had just rolled around in a bath full of chocolate sprinkles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

The whole movie is a load of sensationalist bollocks as far as I'm concerned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Spoilers ffs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Can someone give me a clue as to what year it was, 97? 98?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Got a lend of it on DVD off a mate last night (i had seen it before a few years ago) and enjoyed the film. Towards the end the narrator tells us which criminals got what sentence and then disclaims 'everyone in Ireland knows where they were when the found out Veronica was shot'; sort of JFK esque...

Well i dont, no disrepect to the woman (RIP) but i havent a clue were i was, i remember it being in the papers for ages but being a teen at the time i didnt take much notice of anything i guess...

So do you remember? Does everyone remember? Or should i stop believing everything dvds tell me :)

I remember where I was when I found out about 9/11, Ray Houghton scoring against Italy in '94 and Princess Diana's death. Nothing else really.

june 96 - the summer of love ;)

Real Life wrote: »
    The whole movie is a load of sensationalist bollocks as far as I'm concerned

so you liked the movie too then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The Veronica Guerin Movie incorrectly depicted a Yamaha FZS Fazer Mk1 as the hit bike used by her killers. This bike did not appear on the market until 1998 two years after the incident. The Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade was the actual model bike used in the killing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭the_djoker

I can't remember, I was 18 at the time and didn't know of her, I guess this is why - I remember the media spark of course, but not the moment i found out,
    I do remember where I was when I found out Diana died, im sure most people on this forum do too - bar the ones that were too young/not born..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

What's stupid about that film is that at the end it portrays that the drug problem was virtually irradiated. :rolleyes:
    It says it forced the dealers underground while you see Mr. Gilligan and the likes being arrested.

Was her finally days bravery or stupidity?

What's stupid about that film is that at the end it portrays that the drug problem was virtually irradiated

The DVD lied to me again so?!? :mad:

Was her finally days bravery or stupidity?

stupidity i'd have to say, the writing was on the wall or in this case a bullet in her leg. she was a brave women but imo wreckless, young family is too much to risk for a job, maybe harsh... idk

The Veronica Guerin Movie incorrectly depicted a Yamaha FZS Fazer Mk1 as the hit bike used by her killers. This bike did not appear on the market until 1998 two years after the incident. The Honda CBR 900RR Fireblade was the actual model bike used in the killing.

you either really love films or really love bikes :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Brian Meehan is that you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I remember my mother giving out saying how stupid she was to keep pursuing the big dealers to get more column inches in the paper while putting her young family at risk.
    She achieved more in death than in life in terms of exposing these gangsters but when looking around Dublin's north inner city today, those achievements were pretty short lived. The place is just as bad as it was back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't remember where I was but by a process of deduction have determined I was in the US. Probably why I don't remember as I'm sure it didn't make the news there.

I don't remember where I was but by a process of deduction have determined I was in the US. Probably why I don't remember as I'm sure it didn't make the news there.

i doubt it made the news outside Ireland maybe the UK at a push

It was, the BBC covered it a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was four.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

On holidays in Florida with my parents. I was nine/ten(what year was it?) at the time, my parents searched high and low for an Irish paper like you can get on holidays in spain, found one and all....i was annoyed it was intruding on my theme park time...brat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

'everyone in Ireland knows where they were when the found out Veronica was shot';

Drove by her red Calibra crime scene on Naas road that evening and heard her named on news later at home.
    Few weeks earlier had passed by Gerry McCabes car in Adare about 2 hours after he was shot. That car was tarpaulin covered.
    Started to feel a bit jinxy, and no disrespect intended.

It was a huge media news story in Europe and even America,CBS 60 minutes did a documentary about her,She was the first reporter to be murdered in the western world that was not a war/rebellions torn country, At a ceremony in Arlington, Virginia, the name of Veronica Guerin was added to the Freedom Forum Journalists Memorial.

Andrea B. wrote: »
    Drove by her red Calibra crime scene on Naas road that evening and heard her named on news later at home.
    Few weeks earlier had passed by Gerry McCabes car in Adare about 2 hours after he was shot. That car was tarpaulin covered.
    Started to feel a bit jinxy, and no disrespect intended.

Remind me where your driving in the future so I can avoid the area ;):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I was on the train up to Dublin. It was pre-internet so I found out when I got home. I can understand how anybody out of the country / under 20 at the time wouldn't know - but yeah, it was pretty big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

For some reason it reminds me of harry potters parents being murdered :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well, I'm showing my age: I remember exactly where I was, what I was doing, who I was with. I was on a mini road trip, and had stopped off to get petrol when the news came through. Couldn't believe it - she'd been on the Late Late and was a bit of a celeb by then.
    Between her & Jerry McCabe, it was a pretty dreadful summer.
    (By the way, iirc the day's big match was England vs Germany, not France vs Croatia... Does that tally with anybody else's memory?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I put on Aertel and a big headline on the homepage was "Journalist Shot Dead in Dublin" - or something to that effect. I didn't know VG that well but I still knew it was her before I got to the page that showed her name.

I remember being so angry cos my dad had died a few days earlier and it just really pissed me off that another young family would go thru worse for no real good reason!

A very similar thing happened 2 years earlier when the Aertel homepage showed the headline "World Cup Player Shot Dead" and I new it was Andras Escobar.

Incidentally the 2 Euro '96 semi finals were on the day VG was shot. But the early game was France Vs Czech Rep. An awful game won on pens by Czech Rep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

One of my favourite movies of all time.

The scene where Jimmy Cahill cuts your mans legs and arms off is disgusting, still plays on my mind :/

I still can't believe the Monk is Louis in Fair City. "You've been to my house, it's about f*ckin' time I've been to yours". *shivers

realies wrote: »
    It was a huge media news story in Europe and even America,CBS 60 minutes did a documentary about her,She was the first reporter to be murdered in the western world that was not a war/rebellions torn country, At a ceremony in Arlington, Virginia, the name of Veronica Guerin was added to the Freedom Forum Journalists Memorial.

I'd love to see that CBS documentary on her, i wonder if it could be viewed online somewhere, anybody got any links to this??

• Advertisement
Advertisement