Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veronica Guerin

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I was beside her car ;)

Were you actually, like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Yup was in my nanny's sitting room when news broke on rte

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

The saddest part of the story is that Paul "FUKING"Williams is the main crime journalist now.
    He's fuking insufferable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Condatis

Was her finally days bravery or stupidity?

Not only stupid – but mainly self-serving. A sloppy journalist. Superficial sensationalism is not investigative journalism.

Not entirely her own fault, she was exploited cynically by publishers and a small coterie of law enforcement elements who used her pedestal for their own mean ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

davet82 wrote: »
    i doubt it made the news outside Ireland maybe the UK at a push

I was in Germany at the time, it was the day of the Germany-England semi final but the shooting of a female journalist in Dublin still made first place on the evening news. I remember they didn't name her until later that night but it was obvious who it was. The pictires showed the car, I remeber saying it was Newlands Cross and thought of the amount of times i had hitched down the country from right opposite where it happened.

It was a big big story at the time in Germany, the first article on the news the next day as well and I remember discussions on TV programmes about it as well. It was more shocking in a way as it wasn't IRA or Northern Ireland related.

bijapos wrote: »
    I was in Germany at the time, it was the day of the Germany-England semi final but the shooting of a female journalist in Dublin still made first place on the evening news. I remember they didn't name her until later that night but it was obvious who it was. The pictires showed the car, I remeber saying it was Newlands Cross and thought of the amount of times i had hitched down the country from right opposite where it happened.

It was a big big story at the time in Germany, the first article on the news the next day as well and I remember discussions on TV programmes about it as well. It was more shocking in a way as it wasn't IRA or Northern Ireland related.

i know, i know... i stand corrected! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Got a lend of it on DVD off a mate last night (i had seen it before a few years ago) and enjoyed the film. Towards the end the narrator tells us which criminals got what sentence and then disclaims 'everyone in Ireland knows where they were when the found out Veronica was shot'; sort of JFK esque...

I know a 27 year old girl who told me she has absoloutely no recollection at all of watching September 11th as it happened, or when/ where she heard the news :confused:

So do you remember? Does everyone remember? Or should i stop believing everything dvds tell me :)

All I remember is Dutchy Holland nearly shattering my eardrum roaring DRIVE DRIVE DRIVE! As if the shots had not been loud enough ffs.

Really though, aye I remember the day, was at my mates house and his parents were very attentive to it (obviously being the age we were it was only another shooting we thought, remember it was a hot day anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was 15 and chasing skirt so i dont remember

i was 15 and chasing skirt so i dont remember

me too, if it had a been a spice girl now i could have told ye down to the minute where i was and what i was doing* :)

*most likely fapping

I know a 27 year old girl who told me she has absoloutely no recollection at all of watching September 11th as it happened, or when/ where she heard the news :confused:

your friend has alzheimers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

your friend has alzheimers ;)

She just seemed completely indifferent :pac: Shrugged it off like somebody with utterly zero interest in football might say "I cant ever recall Italia 90/Ray Houghton/ the Saipan incident". I just cant understand how anybody could completely not recall something as big as it was (she remembered it obviously, but not where she watched it unfold, off whom she heard the first word of it etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

I Do. I was in work when I heard it.
    Now I feel old.

Advertisement